Kerbal Space Program: Making History Expansion Grand Discussion thread.

Vanamonde

Waiting with baited breath for the discussion of the expansion to be about the expansion, once everyone can actually play it. (I bought it from work, so I'll see when I get home if it installed properly)

Edited by Jarin

15 minutes ago, AccidentalDisassembly said:

So... uh... I bought the expansion, how long does it actually take to show up in the store under my account? How long did it take others (who have apparently had the same problem)?

Paid 1h30 ago, and still not in my account too :( I want to playyyy lol :wink:

2 minutes ago, astrobond said:

Paid 1h30 ago, and still not in my account too :( I want to playyyy lol :wink:

Uh... what the hell. They've had an entire year to plan for this. How could it possibly take hours just to stick a download link in paid customers' accounts on the store?

EDIT: Welp, just appeared for me, at least... huzzah.

Edited by AccidentalDisassembly

2 hours ago, awdAvenger said:

Is it possible to revert to the VAB when doing the missions? I only see the ability to restart the mission, and then I have to redo the crafts all over again?

Recovering the vessel on the pad just returns me to KSC with all the buildings locked.

Same issue... how to retry a failed mission segment?  recovering locks vab!

Also, recovering the vessel seems to cause the game to HANG (Mac)

Edited by Ryder

1 hour ago, AngryBadger said:

They aren't going back on anything.  They made it clear in the announcement of Making History it would be free like they promised.  They said it again during the live stream of the launch.  There were also Squad people in the stream chat saying that they are dealing with issues that delayed the roll out of the free DLC to early adopters but they are busy fixing it.  You'll get it if you qualify, they even mentioned that if for some reason you don't, you can contact their support and they'll help.

Yeah, got it now. Should have been more patient. My bad.

14 minutes ago, Jarin said:

Waiting with baited breath for the discussion of the expansion to be about the expansion, once everyone can actually play it.

Yeah me too. I kinda feel like there should be a "help I can't install the expansion" thread, then a separate "here's what I think about the expansion" thread.

Retrying a failed mission: this needs some work I think.

The first mission to go over 5,000m. Easy, build a simple rocket and go to launch. Once on the launch pad I am told to land on the island - back to VAB to change the rocket so that it can steer. Success, 6,000 pts.

Next mission is to take a temp reading over 48,000m, so I build a rocket to go straight up to 48k. Then once on the launch pad I get some new information that I need to follow a certain path. I restart the mission and find it puts me back to the very beginning where I need to go over 5k and land on the island. All progress is lost.

So now I have learned to make a save after each success. It is convoluted but it works.

14 minutes ago, The Beaver said:

me and my bros bought ours on April 30th so we're prolly last on the list to get ours lol.

I did as well, I was lucky enough to discover KSP that day and I bought it almost immediately.

it's good to know I'm not the only one with this problem. 

1 hour ago, Pitbull81 said:

Im so sad :( it appear i bought this game on JUNE 2013... DAMNN

Gonna have to wait until payday to get it :huh:

Imagine how i feel, i bought it on the 5th of MAY, 6 days!

I can't say there's enough content in this for the $15 price tag, i can get historical parts from mods so the only real new thing is mission creating/sharing, which i don't care for.

Kudos for first try though, lets hope Other planets,  more moons etc. don't start getting made into expansion packs

Edited by The Crusher 862
wrong quote

I love it, especially the chutes, that is lotsa fun and all the new parts are very nice.

I just launched a Gemini lookalike and was IVAing with Jeb and Bill and it really did have a historic feel to it, gave me a hint of what it must have been like, Flash Gordon costumes aside, nice cabin btw.

PbVkY10.jpg

I feel very sad... I bought the full version of ksp a few weeks after April of 2013.

Looks like I won't be playing this, not enough content to make it worth it; there are a lot of free mods that have more content.

Looks neat though. 

Edited by Jon144

it was directly in my steam. very cool

i love the new parts! its great. already did a saturn v and a apollo mission to mun. its great and makes a lot of fun. but its again time consuming :) i think i will add another 800h to KSP :D

thank you squad! keep that going!

I'm mostly in it for the new parts. I get decision overload trying to use mod part packs for anything other than a very specific purpose, so having more options stock is big. The mission builder is kinda cool, but it seems like releasing mod tools as paid DLC... no content, but making the community buy the tools to create content for you. (Not as salty as I sound there, just no interest in building missions myself)

Not sure what to make of this yet. Was counting down the days since they first announced the expansion last year. There were times when I could hardly wait. The acquisition by Take-Two did not dampen my enthusiasm. If anything, I was even more excited. Not because our game was now in the big leagues, but because a big league developer wouldn't buy the game unless they planned additional content down the road. Whether that was in the form of more expansions and general DLC, or the Holy Grail itself, KSP2. It was all good news to me. Then came the whole thing with the new EULA. I thought nothing of it at first. Who reads that crap anyway? And unless you end up like Kyle on South Park, it has no effect on your life anyway, so who cares? February was a brutal month for me at work and at home, so I haven't played at all in about 6 weeks. I've barely even been able to stalk the forum, and haven't posted at all. I discovered this forum about a year ago, made an account, and have never logged off. It's been open on my phone ever since. I take a quick look and post several times each day, whenever the opportunity arises. I once logged off by accident when checking my notifications and had to reset my password. It had been so long I couldn't remember what it was. A week ago I went for a usual check, and found myself locked out. Like everyone else, I had to agree to a new, retroactive agreement. I was not happy. I don't care what it said; just that it forced me into a corner. Either agree or be frozen out of the forum for good. I did what everyone does pretty much every day of their life and chose the lesser of 2 evils.  It left me bitter, but time would cure that. This coincided with the release of 1.4, so I thought that would be a good pick-me-up. Does anything get you geared up more than starting up Steam and seeing that KSP is updating? Always geeks me up. You can guess what happened next. I had to agree to a new, backdated agreement to play a game I already owned. After almost 3,000 hours, I had been locked out. I was now incensed. I simply copied it to my "KSP drive" (a 256g ssd that has nothing but various copies of KSP) and booted up anyway, but it did not make me feel better. In fact, I decided I would not buy the expansion after all. The way the whole thing was handled I felt deserved the only response available to me that would actually have an effect; withholding money. Reading the EULA threads lately have been eye-opening, to say the least. Each revelation made me more angry. Then, what usually happens on this forum happened yet again; cooler heads prevailed. The comments from veteran players really helped me to see the whole thing for what it is; a bunch of legal crap that doesn't mean anything. I'm not trying to make money, I'm trying to have fun. So I decided to embrace one of our great American sayings (and a personal favorite of mine), "it is what it is". I want this game to live on. To continue to see new and better content. I want the people who work on this game to be successful, so they keep working hard. I'll keep a disdainful eye on Take-Two for the way this whole thing was handled, but I don't blame the guy who owns the gas station on the corner for an oil spill in the gulf. I did my part, ponied up my 15 bucks, and got the expansion. From this point on, I'm just gonna pretend the whole thing never happened. And thanks to all the players who helped to bring some reason into some discussions that got pretty heated.

Anyway, back to the game itself. Can I ask what these are?

oJQITIM.png

I know they're supposed to be Russian-inspired parts, but these "reentry modules" look like Stalin-era apartment buildings. These are 3 different modules (with a Stayputnik thrown on top to show what they immediately reminded me of). They seat 1, 2, and 3 Kerbals respectively, yet they are the same size (though different weights). I don't normally get into the "art" conversations on the forum, but these things look like they came from the same factory as the old 2.5m decoupler. Just an opinion, but I'm definitely not a fan. Not sure I'll get much use out of them. Though, to be fair, I haven't actually tried them yet. Just saw them and cringed.

CL6kFqf.png

This though, is something else entirely. I'm not sure if this is purposeful, and if so what the purpose actually is, but it just seems wrong. Look at those numbers. You're talking about an engine that weighs less than a Nerv, with more than 5x the thrust, and still has over 400 isp? For an extra 600 bucks? I don't get it. I put one in orbit, and it's abilities are unbelievable. I've never used a modded engine, but I imagine this is what they're like. It just seems too easy.

DOq9Ju3.png

I through this together with no thought whatsoever. Just wanted to see how the new parts and sizes looked together. It's pricey, but for a ship with no attempt at design, it was remarkable. I launched and was able to capture at Moho (though not return). The most striking thing to me is the number of parts. It stands at 61 because I always strut everything manually. If I were not so opposed to autostrut, it would have fewer than 30 parts. I know performance is a problem for most computers, but I'm not sure I see this as a positive. Upon reflection, I'm not too happy with the new LEM either. It's certainly useful, and just 1 part, but I don't like the "cookie cutter" aspect of it. One of best things about this game is the radical differences in design, from one player to the next.  I would hate to anything dampen that aspect of the game.

As for the "historical missions", I didn't finish the first one. I withhold judgment for now, and wait for other players to give their opinions before I decide if I wanna go through them all. The impression I got was they're "tweener" missions. Probably too difficult for newer players who don't yet understand the game; and utterly without challenge or difficulty for an experienced player; meaning no real fun to be had. Could certainly be wrong, though. As I said, I bowed out quickly.

The mission builder I haven't tried yet. I think that could be the saving grace for the entire expansion; and certainly its biggest feature. I'll give it a whirl, but I'm mostly waiting to see some missions some of our veteran players and modders come up with. I'm eagerly anticipating some fun ahead.

Anyway, those are my thoughts, if anyone's interested. Personally, I'm just happy to be back in the game.

Now, back to the VAB:)

44 minutes ago, Jon144 said:

I feel very sad... I bought the full version of ksp a few weeks after April of 2013.

Looks like I won't be playing this, not enough content to make it worth it; there are a lot of free mods that have more content.

Looks neat though. 

It's $15, not $150, what price tag would you put on it?

21 minutes ago, Apollo13 said:

OK.  Bought it.  It's in my Steam account.  When do I get it?  When will it download??  I bought it several hours ago.

I found I had to close steam and start it back up to get it to recognize. Started DL right away after steam came up. Reasonably small DL less than 500MB.

Edit: The people below me on the next page might have a slightly easier way :)

Edited by Frybert