Kerbal Space Program: Making History Expansion Grand Discussion thread.

Vanamonde

6 minutes ago, Apollo13 said:

OK.  Bought it.  It's in my Steam account.  When do I get it?  When will it download??  I bought it several hours ago.

This had me scratching my head for a minute as well. I was starting to get angry when I figured it out. For some reason, it's not installing when you hit "install games". With KSP on your Steam page, look at the bar with Making History Expansion, Not Installed, Added Today. Click the box with the check mark to un-check it. Then click it again to check the box. The expansion will download then.

1 minute ago, Cpt Kerbalkrunch said:

This had me scratching my head for a minute as well. I was starting to get angry when I figured it out. For some reason, it's not installing when you hit "install games". With KSP on your Steam page, look at the bar with Making History Expansion, Not Installed, Added Today. Click the box with the check mark to un-check it. Then click it again to check the box. The expansion will download then.

Same for me, its a Steam issue, Uncheck - Check and then it starts to install.

Steam DLC's sort of stealth-install. On your Library page, at the bottom, you may see "0 of 1 item(s) Complete". If you click these words, it takes you to a listing of recently installed games, their download sizes, and pending updates. At the far right, you may see a "download now" button.  

2 hours ago, The Crusher 862 said:

Imagine how i feel, i bought it on the 5th of MAY, 6 days!

I can't say there's enough content in this for the $15 price tag, i can get historical parts from mods so the only real new thing is mission creating/sharing, which i don't care for.

Kudos for first try though, lets hope Other planets,  more moons etc. don't start getting made into expansion packs

Bah gonna give them 15 bucks its not that expensive.  just sad i have to wait lol

Well, I had to work today and just installed Making History. I have not played with it much yet.

I did run into that issue others are reporting with the scenarios. In the very first scenario, I put a chute on the east side of my rocket so it would naturally lean into an trajectory towards the east toward the island. I got to the 5000 easily,  and about within 15 km of the old launch site on the island in my very first mission. I did get credit for it, but I thought I could do better. I had deployed my chute too early (so I thought). I can nail this!. So I decided I would start over - but then the scenario became unresponsive, and I had to just close the program.

So, I went into a sandbox and launched Jeb up in a KV1 to about 3000, and then went EVA and on the way down opened Jeb's chute. The chutes are a lot more maneuverable than planes. I was able to circle around the KSC and enjoy the view for quite a while before landing on the run way..

Maybe a few bugs just yet, but I can see where this will be a lot of fun

All i can say is thank you squad

-you listened to the major complaints in the 1.4 update, and made changes attempting to fix these in a few days. well done

-the parts you gave us will help to lighten up the mods we need to make good crafts. (mods are still greatly needed, thank you modders for your continued updates and work).

-The new mission features are going to take off for sure. Good job!

-You kept your word for early adopters, although I would have been happy to pay for the DLC.

*This game has given me more play, and better experiences than any AAA title I have played. I have more hours in this game, than GTA titles and RED Dead Redemption.

I hope you will consider another DLC in the future, a little sooner would be nice. Maybe take a vote from the community of what they really want next.

6 minutes ago, scottadges said:

Hi, I was reading through threads but maybe missed the question:

Do you have to get the Making History DLC in order to have all the new parts? Or updates to old parts?

Im pretty sure all the part that came with Making History are locked and the parts that came with 1.4 are open.

Well, it's a bit messy for me.

Here is how the payment page appeared at first:

CfgWWPs.jpg

Being sure that is was due to the Chrome browser (now another reason to switch back to FF) I opened another window in incognito mode and all the data appeared clearly.

However, I tried to pay with three different methods, without being in deficit in any of these, but still got the payment refused...

I guess I'm good to try again tomorrow.

My first build in the Making History DLC is complete: A Gemini/Agena rendezvous and docking mission.

The Agena was launched on my rendition of an Atlas-Agena. The "stage-and-a-half" Atlas first stage is not quite right...since the side engines drop off in two pieces::

UWNm4W7.jpg

The Gemini-Titan II is made with the new 2-kerbal capsule and 1.875 meter parts. Alas, the Gemini's adapter section is therefore a cylinder (the 1.875m service module) instead of conical:

BmUCdpB.jpg

My Gemini has the same RCS thruster arrangement as the real Gemini. And here are some views showing what's tucked away inside the service module (batteries, RCS tanks, liquid fuel tanks...since this Gemini uses a liquid fuel Spark engine to deorbit instead of the solid fuel retros the real Gemini used). The small tanks at the front of the Gemini are there to give it a more Gemini shape...and the parachute hides inside them as well.

cSUCHAG.jpg

Successful rendezvous and docking! Hey...I remember how to do this stuff after such a long time not playing KSP...

VIBVASG.jpg

The Agena's engine was used to boost the Gemini into a high elliptical orbit...as is right and proper for an Agena to do. And then the Agena brought it back down to a low orbit (I only used the built-in heat shield of the capsule, so I didn't want to come in too hot).

And the Gemini made a very non-Gemini recovery on land, returning Jeb and Bill safely to Kerbin:

8rMDeCR.jpg

R072rrv.jpg

Thanks for all the fun new parts!

7 minutes ago, DerekL1963 said:

How did you build out that interior? (Top right)  And how did you get that closure (gold foil)? (Bottom right)

Inquiring minds want to know!

That white cylinder is a 1.875-meter "service module" part in Making History...and it comes with the gold foil bottom (so it's obviously meant to be used for the Gemini capsule). In the hanger, you can show the interior and pack it with all sorts of stuff (I also have a Spark engine stuck on the bottom that is clipped up inside, except for its nozzle). In flight, you can have those panels blow off...but you can also just temporarily make them vanish so that you can manipulate the equipment inside.

15 minutes ago, Brotoro said:

That white cylinder is a 1.875-meter "service module" part in Making History...and it comes with the gold foil bottom (so it's obviously meant to be used for the Gemini capsule). In the hanger, you can show the interior and pack it with all sorts of stuff (I also have a Spark engine stuck on the bottom that is clipped up inside, except for its nozzle). In flight, you can have those panels blow off...but you can also just temporarily make them vanish so that you can manipulate the equipment inside.

@Brotoro you're back!!!!!! Does this mean another mission report(loved the Developing Duna and Long-term Laythe mission)? Also wonderful Gemini you've got there!

are there any visible differences between the kv-1 kv-2 and kv-3 (sorry if this has already been addressed)? Too me they all look identical. 

Also is anybody else having a problem in the play stock missions page where the images on the right side above the mission summary, are low res and pixelated?

Thanks

16 minutes ago, Brotoro said:

Thanks!  So many new parts to play with, I obviously missed one....  Now that I look, there's an Apollo sized one too.

My discoveries so far:

The structural tubes were done right....  You can get at the surface beneath them to hide stuff without using the ugly service bays.

sM0RgeMh.png

The colliders are wonky, but you can surface mount inside them....  (basically things only mount normally at the 0 and 180 degree positions.

cUVG9xxh.png

And they're configurable in length...

SuxLwxih.png

That's basically what I've done in KSP today...  played around with the new parts.

6 minutes ago, captain meh said:

are there any visible differences between the kv-1 kv-2 and kv-3 (sorry if this has already been addressed)? Too me they all look identical. 

Yes, they all look identical...  Mouse over them and look at the specs though.  There's a 1, 2, and 3 crew variant.

Yup, a lunar mission is possible with my Vostok replica (actually not sure if Vostok had another stage above the center core, but Soyuz does, so close enough I guess). That face when Yuri Gagarin becomes the first guy in space and on the Mun in the same flight.

t4dY7Nw.png

Liftoff of Vostok M-1, my third non-mission launch in Making History. The first two were Vostok Y-1 (launch aborted due to aerodynamic instability) and Vostok Y-2 (escape trajectory from Kerbin, highly inclined solar orbit), both nearly identical to this one. The only chances from Y-1 to M-1 are larger fins, more verniers, moved vernors, and the addition of more fuel tanks in the service module.

D24UjuN.png

wlnl4s3.png

shzxuA7.png

sQHEbis.png

3ZT8Y55.png

AKl71Tj.png

Bailing out and using the personal parachute like Vostok did with ejection seats.

AKl71Tj.png

6 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

Only if it can do it in RSS.

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

I have homework, cleaning, storywriting, and expansion-playing going on tomorrow! And now I'll be up all night (morning now) thinking about how a lunar architecture could be built using mostly R-7 derived lifters!

4 minutes ago, captain meh said:

Alright, I found out how to launch from Woomerang in sandbox, but it seems like the option isn't there for career. Do you need to buy the pad or something?

Thanks

Check your career difficulty settings. There is option that enables/disables launchpad selection

10 minutes ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Yup, a lunar mission is possible with my Vostok replica (actually not sure if Vostok had another stage above the center core, but Soyuz does, so close enough I guess). That face when Yuri Gagarin becomes the first guy in space and on the Mun in the same flight.

t4dY7Nw.png

Liftoff of Vostok M-1, my third non-mission launch in Making History. The first two were Vostok Y-1 (launch aborted due to aerodynamic instability) and Vostok Y-2 (escape trajectory from Kerbin, highly inclined solar orbit), both nearly identical to this one. The only chances from Y-1 to M-1 are larger fins, more verniers, moved vernors, and the addition of more fuel tanks in the service module.

D24UjuN.png

wlnl4s3.png

shzxuA7.png

sQHEbis.png

3ZT8Y55.png

AKl71Tj.png

Bailing out and using the personal parachute like Vostok did with ejection seats.

AKl71Tj.png

NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

I have homework, cleaning, storywriting, and expansion-playing going on tomorrow! And now I'll be up all night (morning now) thinking about how a lunar architecture could be built using mostly R-7 derived lifters!

7K-9K-11K can save your time:)