Kerbal Space Program: Making History Expansion Grand Discussion thread.

Vanamonde

9 minutes ago, MaianTrey said:

So holy heck is the stock Saturn V configuration overpowered for normal KSP. I took quite a bit of fuel out, and can still get to the Mun using the S-IC and SII stages.

It's because stock Kerbin is so tiny. There's no way to balance things right. F1 engine for example is quite underpowered (weaker than mainsail) as it is, but still too much for default system scaling.

I have to agree with the opening paragraph of PC Gamer's review; essentially, this has all been done before, and for free.

I am curious, however, if in the future I can purchase a "premium subscription" with some gold to get faster career progression.

1 minute ago, oversoul said:

I have to agree with the opening paragraph of PC Gamer's review; essentially, this has all been done before, and for free.

I am curious, however, if in the future I can purchase a "premium subscription" with some gold to get faster career progression.

I dont see it that way

-Squad allows the mods and are actually supportive of them.

-I have donated over $100 to modders for their work over the years.

-People are putting 100s of hours into a game at one time was $20 and now $39, but its 50% off the purchase of the full game right now. <-----nobody is losing money

-sense the full release, they have updated with parts that cost nothing.

-They did not charge the early adopters for the DLC.

-Youtubers have made alot of money of this game alone.

I think paying them $15 for the work they have done is very ok and reasonable IMO.

Without squad providing the core elements, we would not have modders to make the game as it is now.

Tiny things I like about 1.4.1 / Making History: I track my save folder in git, and 1.4.1 is the first release that didn't complain about the .git folder being an incompatible save. Yay! :D

Tiny things I don't like about 1.4.1 / Making History: The ASCII art in the Making History readme is longer than 80 characters?! Literally unplayable. :mad:

Edited by stibbons

This is disappointing, and frustrating. I purchased the game on October 24, 2013. Why not just let everyone in 2013 to have the DLC free. Feels like a slap in the face for buying Kerbal Space Program as an Early Access in the year 2013, and then find out that I have to pay for the DLC while anyone on April 2013 and early get the DLC for free.

Got the DLC this morning, as a mid April early adopter. Nice!

Found the MEM, which is beautifully designed (imho), but it will place an awful shroud beneath it, no matter what part I attach. Unable to disable.

Any help?

Besides the nice design of the MEM, what I dislike is, that it has its own fuel tank. Placing a spark engine beneath it would be an ascend module with only two parts, but I would prefer to design it my way (for the very same reason I never use the TwinBoar thingy, because it is and engine *and* a fuel tank)

48 minutes ago, Carraux said:

Found the MEM, which is beautifully designed (imho), but it will place an awful shroud beneath it, no matter what part I attach. Unable to disable.

Besides the nice design of the MEM, what I dislike is, that it has its own fuel tank. Placing a spark engine beneath it would be an ascend module with only two parts, but I would prefer to design it my way (for the very same reason I never use the TwinBoar thingy, because it is and engine *and* a fuel tank)

I agree. There has got to be a way to disable that shroud. How can we make a proper ascent module with that big dish hanging underneath? I don't mind the tank being there, we could just add it ourselves easy enough, it doesn't need to be welded on.

16 hours ago, IceAxe18 said:

This is disappointing, and frustrating. I purchased the game on October 24, 2013. Why not just let everyone in 2013 to have the DLC free. Feels like a slap in the face for buying Kerbal Space Program as an Early Access in the year 2013, and then find out that I have to pay for the DLC while anyone on April 2013 and early get the DLC for free.

Sadly the cut off had to be set somewhere, and it was set at a time when the discussion came up, early adopters still got the bargain of getting the game at a discounted price. 

22 hours ago, RemembertheRoyaIs said:
https://imgur.com/a/6Mr2m 
I am unable to log into my account due to the issue depicted, it does not seem to recognize my email as being valid.  Is anyone else experiencing this issue? 

Just remember your store login is different to your KSP forum account, perhaps you set it up with a different email address. 

32 minutes ago, Juanfro said:

Maybe I'm missing something but, is it possible to create missions in career mode?

I would like to use as a planning tool for missions I'm given and to plan big missions myself.

You're not missing anything: missions are stand-alone in this version so far; They are separate experiences that don't interact with career mode. Many players are requesting this, and it would not surprise me if a future version of MH will do more things. 

Is it me or are re-entry speeds higher? Am I totally lost due to using powered landings for so long... or do I need better airbreaks to kill my 750m/s entry speeds? :P

[edit] Yes, I'm use to powered landings XD . When not aiming nose down, I can kill the speed a bit better.

Edited by Technical Ben

1 minute ago, KingPhantom said:

is there a list which shows me the real world counter parts to the new parts (mostly engines).

it looks to me that the LEM engine is really big... should that not be something like the terrier 909?

Scott Manley did a Youtube video on it. :)

Hi All,

I was just wondering if anyone out there has installed the expansion on a Windows 7 PC? Were there any issues at all? My desktop is 2011 and W7, KSP works fine, but given that this will cost me, before I actually get it I wanted to hear if there are any issues.

Keith

@Silverwood - I'm running Windows 7 and didn't have any problems on the install.  But to be fair, I'm waiting on 1.4.2 update and several mods to get updated before I do more than just tinker with the game/expansion. Just been my experience, I can save myself a bit of frustration by waiting for the hotfix.

So when is 1.4.2 coming out, to fix this blindingly obvious BS?
screenshot10.png

One hotfix down, one obvious bug not fixed. I'd love to comment on the DLC, but I'm not buying it until the ridiculous regressions are all fixed.

Edited by steve_v

4 hours ago, IceAxe18 said:

Can be frustrating from that perspective, but cutoff date has to be somewhere. If the dlc was free all of 2013, then someone buying 2nd januar 2014 would be bothered.

See it this way: It's better that some get free stuff than if everyone gets free stuff. It's irrational to get envious about that stuff. (disclaimer; I got it for free, but would have instantly bought it either way; KSP is one of my two most played games)

Edited by Temeter