Kerbal Space Program: Making History Expansion Grand Discussion thread.

Vanamonde

14 minutes ago, Temeter said:

Can be frustrating from that perspective, but cutoff date has to be somewhere. If the dlc was free all of 2013, then someone buying 2nd januar would be bothered.

See it this way: It's better that some get free stuff than if everyone gets free stuff. It's irrational to get envious about that stuff. (disclaimer; I got it for free, but would have instantly bought it either way; KSP is one of my two most played games)

I received it for free also, so i just bought my cousin, my dad, and a friend a copy.     :-)  

39 minutes ago, viperwolf said:

I received it for free also, so i just bought my cousin, my dad, and a friend a copy.     :-)  

I dont understand all the fuss about getting it free or not. The DLC is worth the money and I completly understand if they set the DLC for free for Who bought it until a certain Date. They cant postpone that to cover all the People and also guys have always the chance not to buy it as they wont be very impacted for not having since the mods cover it with almost the same quality if not better and for now there are no limitations on mods, lets see what T2 does about that 

4 hours ago, Carraux said:

Got the DLC this morning, as a mid April early adopter. Nice!

Found the MEM, which is beautifully designed (imho), but it will place an awful shroud beneath it, no matter what part I attach. Unable to disable.

Any help?

3 hours ago, W9GFO said:

I agree. There has got to be a way to disable that shroud. How can we make a proper ascent module with that big dish hanging underneath? I don't mind the tank being there, we could just add it ourselves easy enough, it doesn't need to be welded on.

There are two nodes under the MEM. You can place a Spark on the node that is recessed into the fuel tank. However, the Spark bottom node then lines up well with the node that creates the large shroud. Translate the Spark down and attach the next part, then move it back. Voila, no large shroud. 

2 hours ago, Voidryder said:

@Silverwood - I'm running Windows 7 and didn't have any problems on the install.  But to be fair, I'm waiting on 1.4.2 update and several mods to get updated before I do more than just tinker with the game/expansion. Just been my experience, I can save myself a bit of frustration by waiting for the hotfix.

Ok that is good thanks. The base game updated yesterday, and since then it has got very slow. No idea why, Also for some reason it keeps opening the web page for advertise the expansion. Again no idea why.

2 hours ago, Temeter said:

Can be frustrating from that perspective, but cutoff date has to be somewhere. If the dlc was free all of 2013, then someone buying 2nd januar 2014 would be bothered.

See it this way: It's better that some get free stuff than if everyone gets free stuff. It's irrational to get envious about that stuff. (disclaimer; I got it for free, but would have instantly bought it either way; KSP is one of my two most played games)

In addition, if I remember correctly, the cut-off date had already a generous margin in it, (probably for this particular scenario). But yeah, whenever you draw a line at x, people who are at x + 1 will ask "why not me."

It's not like the DLC is prohibitively expensive. Given the thousands of hours of playtime you get out of KSP, let alone the educational benefits that would cost you thousands of dollars to pursue in college, the $15 for the DLC was, at least for me, an amount I paid without even considering not doing it.

Also: the closest comparable "DLC" I can think of is for MS Flightsim. It usually costs 3× as much and is in most cases a single airplane (admittedly of much, much higher quality than what Squad offers, but quantity is a factor here). All things considered, $15 is a reasonable price. Y'all got spoiled with high quality mods for free — just because your neighbor won a $30,000 car in a TV Show doesn't mean Chevrolet is ripping you off when they want $5,000 for a brand new Equinox.

Just now, Kerbart said:

In addition, if I remember correctly, the cut-off date had already a generous margin in it, (probably for this particular scenario). But yeah, whenever you draw a line at x, people who are at x + 1 will ask "why not me."

It's not like the DLC is prohibitively expensive. Given the thousands of hours of playtime you get out of KSP, let alone the educational benefits that would cost you thousands of dollars to pursue in college, the $15 for the DLC was, at least for me, an amount I paid without even considering not doing it.

Also: the closest comparable "DLC" I can think of is for MS Flightsim. It usually costs 3× as much and is in most cases a single airplane (admittedly of much, much higher quality than what Squad offers, but quantity is a factor here). All things considered, $15 is a reasonable price. Y'all got spoiled with high quality mods for free — just because your neighbor won a $30,000 car in a TV Show doesn't mean Chevrolet is ripping you off when they want $5,000 for a brand new Equinox.

I think originally steam users weren't supposed to get the DLC for free at all, but they added the margin.

Posted in the 1.4 Version thread (since there's not a 1.4.1 thread), but here they are as well:

1.4.1 Changelog

+++ Improvements
* Jet Engine Sounds.
* Further Improvements to landed vessel ground positioning.
* Vessel Naming is now enabled by default on the external command seat.
* Improved suspension oscillations.

+++ Localization
* Revision of several translation strings for German, French, Italian and Portuguese.
* Corrected Kerbal Parachute KSPedia page for Japanese being in a different language.

+++ Parts
* Fix Mk1-3 IVA model.
* Fixes for drag cubes for new decouplers.
* Fix drill animation.
* Fix ISRU bug with core heat.
* Re-introduced side piping to the Rockomax-64
* Corrected wet/dry masses on the foil tanks
* Removed the Entry Cost values for deprecated parts

+++ Bugfixes
* Fixes music briefly playing in loading screens after exiting the Editor.
* Fix parachute deployment when JetPack is active.
* Fix ability to repack personal parachute where kerbal is on EVA with cut parachute.
* Fixes to KSPedia loading order.
* Fix variant themes being listed as a custom category.
* Fix KSPedia not showing correctly on Linux.
* Fixes parts with variants affecting equal child parts in some cases.
* Fix Variant switcher icon in advance mode in the VAB/SPH editor.

7 hours ago, Carraux said:

Got the DLC this morning, as a mid April early adopter. Nice!

Found the MEM, which is beautifully designed (imho), but it will place an awful shroud beneath it, no matter what part I attach. Unable to disable.

Any help?

Besides the nice design of the MEM, what I dislike is, that it has its own fuel tank. Placing a spark engine beneath it would be an ascend module with only two parts, but I would prefer to design it my way (for the very same reason I never use the TwinBoar thingy, because it is and engine *and* a fuel tank)

There's actually two attach points under the MEM. It's hard to get to the 'upper' one, but when you do, the shroud does NOT show up. I figured this out by attaching a doughnut tank directly under the MEM - the higher location will get it to stack right onto the built-in tank of the MEM. The lower one will result in a shroud and a gap.

On the same topic: a doughnut tank plus a spark will put the mem+4x landing legs onto the surface and back into munar orbit without any fuss.

*oops, just saw MaianTrey had already answered. I even checked first.. Oh well.

Edited by Phreakish

TOURISTS!

Ok, so what is a "tourist", technically, for purposes of mission building?

I ask because I wanted to check for the distance between a player and an object... and I see no options to test for the player character... only tourists and NAMED kerbals... but since I can't know for sure what the name of the Kerbal is at mission start... then I can't do the test.   I thought "tourist" might be a generic term for any Kerbal (which would work).... but this in fact did not trigger the distance test.

Any thoughts on how to accomplish this, appreciated.

A minor Mission Builder Interface request:

For the GUI... the flexible node connectors should space evenly not only left to right where jog occurs, but also evenly between the top/bottom of the connected boxes... otherwise the connector appears to re-enter the mission item that created it.

Left/right is done properly.... top/bottom not so much:

zj3DIS1.png

2 hours ago, fourfa said:

Problems so far with the Apollo-style service module: 

• Interior nodes don't respect symmetry. 
  • Node-attached fuel tanks sometimes lose the ability to flow fuel (but not always)

Yeah, this is frustrating. Had some serious issues building out a couple fuel tanks, some batteries, and an FCA.

Also, TWR for the J-2 analog...holy hell is it low...

I am a little annoyed that the center of mass of the new Making History M.E.M. Lander command pod is defined at the very bottom edge of the pod.  The donut tank texture at the bottom is greeble texture only - no collider.  The entire point of the weird bulges on the sides of the real-life Lunar Module is to mount fuel tanks near the center of mass, so the CoM wouldn't shift much through the ascent, rendezvous, and docking process.   Likewise, the RCS quads are mounted mid-ships so they're near the average CoM (as copied on the new M.E.M).  It's especially noticeable as the pod (like the Soviet style pods) doesn't include reaction wheels, so we're more likely than usual to use the RCS extensively for attitude control.

Since we face all the same issues they did, and the stock CoM is nonsensically at the edge of the actual structure, I worked out a fix:

// Adjust center of mass of the MEM Command Pod new in KSP Making History for 1.4.1
// Author: Fourfa
// x, z, y relative to VAB door?

@PART[MEMLander]:FINAL
{
	CoMOffset = 0, 0.675, 0
}

It might not be dead center depending what else you strap onto it (docking port, engine, batteries, more fuel/monoprop, etc) but it's pretty close.  Make small changes in the range of 0.6-0.75.

Original:

7ZDlqXo.jpg

Adjusted:

6nOskaP.jpg

Edited by fourfa
verb tense

I have been looking forward to this release since it was first announced. I have no problem paying for new content. I play alot of Paradox games :)  I have  a couple of hours into the included missions and I'm very disappointed. Am I just missing something?  Where are the historical missions? There is nothing historical about the included missions. Further, are you telling nobody on the planet has made a community mission?  

OK... does anyone know how to reset the "Available/Unavailable Parts" in the Start Node???  Seems one cannot change their mind about selections after the Mission has been saved...

Grrrr.

EDIT: I had to edit out all "available parts" from the mission file... then repopulate, which seemed to do the trick.  This issue might be wrapped up in how it is possible to create a vehicle with a set of parts that is later made unavailable... causing the program to become confused.

Edited by Ryder

4 minutes ago, Lucky Spacer said:

I have been looking forward to this release since it was first announced. I have no problem paying for new content. I play alot of Paradox games :)  I have  a couple of hours into the included missions and I'm very disappointed. Am I just missing something?  Where are the historical missions? There is nothing historical about the included missions. Further, are you telling nobody on the planet has made a community mission?  

It's only been available to the public for about 24 hours, so not many yet.  There are a few missions available so far on this very website, in a new subforum here:

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/forum/98-making-history-missions/

One of those was developed by a KSP streamer who had early access.  It seems to have taken him about a week's worth of work to make a complex mission, and he published yesterday.  So let's not get too antsy about community missions - it's going to take a little while.