Kerbal Space Program: Making History Expansion Grand Discussion thread.

Vanamonde

31 minutes ago, fourfa said:

It's only been available to the public for about 24 hours, so not many yet.  There are a few missions available so far on this very website, in a new subforum here:

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/forum/98-making-history-missions/

One of those was developed by a KSP streamer who had early access.  It seems to have taken him about a week's worth of work to make a complex mission, and he published yesterday.  So let's not get too antsy about community missions - it's going to take a little while.

Thanks for the link. I will give it a try.  I must have searched for it with the wrong terms before.

4 hours ago, Lucky Spacer said:

...I have  a couple of hours into the included missions and I'm very disappointed. Am I just missing something?  Where are the historical missions? There is nothing historical about the included missions. ....

MH is probably not what you were expecting. The first scenario "Dawn of the Space Age" is all about making history tho, but for the Kerbal space program... "Your rocket is the first Kerbal vessel to reach space. This achievement cannot be overstated." — MH does not copy real life events directly. 

I was so excited for the new dlc coming out that I waited over a month and stopped playing during that time, just to savor more my upcomming adventures in KSP. But after having bought the dlc the hour it came out. I tried to play an unmodded game for my first time, since alot of the important mods are still broken. Much to my disgust within the first hour of getting into a brand new carrier. The game bugs out on me and no longer registers contract progression or milestone progression. Worried that I somehow missed a mod file or something, I uninstalled and deleted both of my copies of ksp and downloaded fresh. Hoping for the best I started another new campaign. Within an hour again the same bug showed itself. Just to make sure i took orbit kerbin contract and tried to complete it which i have a dozen times before and nothing. 

Aside from this game breaking bug. The new missions add nothing to the Carrier Mode, which is all that I really care about unless I am looking for a tutorial. Further more, the new parts add so very little to the game that mods didn't already do. I feel like i paid 15$ for one capsule and the insurance that going forward all mods will work with what I have. The only thing that this Dlc seems to have done is to delay for more than 2 months my ability to play, what is currently, my favorite game. I am rather sad overall.

Wow, the chutes don't really fit well in the SM-6A part.

On top of that, the part is simply too big. It's dead-on the slope of the Mk1-3, yet it's bigger at the bottom than the Mk1-3 is at the top node. It makes it look like it's a mistake, honestly.

The bottom of the MEM looks like there are 2 nodes, but I cannot manage to get an engine to sit into the more buried one (trying to figure out a 2-stage lander).

Ah. You have to bring the motor in from the wrong side...

Can anyone tell where the folder, for the FL-C1000 Fuel Tank(Russian Lateral Tanks) is located. Ive searched and searched for that in the squad Parts Folder. I keep over looking it or something, Im trying to find it so I can add tweakscale to it.

23 hours ago, Silverwood said:

Hi All,

I was just wondering if anyone out there has installed the expansion on a Windows 7 PC? Were there any issues at all? My desktop is 2011 and W7, KSP works fine, but given that this will cost me, before I actually get it I wanted to hear if there are any issues.

Keith

Running 7 here. No real problems I've not encountered before... like the "craft never responds to inputs" bug which is actually me turning the rockets off and forgetting to turn them back on. :wink:

Thanks. Pretty weak solution, IMO.

Pre update I always used clipping for custom designs anyhow. So if you can find a nice cone/fuel tank etc that fits, just put chutes inside them a little?

Edited by Technical Ben

Tech Tree: (career mode) I was expecting to see new 5-meter parts added to the highest "tech level" but they are not; S3 and S4 tanks are in the same group together.  I thought the expansion would be a new opportunity to spend (or strive for) the crazy amount of Science points possible with Mobile Labs.  Is parts cost enough of an "end-game" balance factor?

Ok played a bit with the new DLC, and.... Is it really a DLC ? And the price, isnt it bit high for what it offers?  It is just few new parts, and mission creator tool that does not even work with career mode.  I dont complain, i got the DLC for free, so no harm done, but paying customer might be a bit upset. 

For the pricetag i see on steam, i would expect something like All the Near Future mods + Firespitter,  combined  (+ the mission creator if you want, but i dont see the point of the mission creator). 

1 hour ago, KOCOUR said:

Ok played a bit with the new DLC, and.... Is it really a DLC ? And the price, isnt it bit high for what it offers?  It is just few new parts, and mission creator tool that does not even work with career mode.  I dont complain, i got the DLC for free, so no harm done, but paying customer might be a bit upset. 

For the pricetag i see on steam, i would expect something like All the Near Future mods + Firespitter,  combined  (+ the mission creator if you want, but i dont see the point of the mission creator). 

Honestly, the mission creator is the biggest part of this DLC. You don't need to use it yourself to get the benefit of it, as it also allows you to play other people's creations.

Squad know their player-base. They haven't tried to create a series of missions that will be over in a few hours, it looks like they've given a really powerful tool to the player base to create their own.

I'm fully expecting massive campaigns to come out of this, as well as short fun missions... basically all the content we could ever want, objectives-wise.

I can't wait to see what people come up with.

1 hour ago, KOCOUR said:

And the price, isnt it bit high for what it offers? 

$15 is 37.5% of $40.   I don't really feel like I got 40% more game here.

It definitely has a rushed feel to it.  It could stand to have some more polish on it.  Off the top of my head an example of this might be that none of the new pods have clickable windows that give you a good view outside.

Another what I feel is a potentially telling example is that no new flags were included in Making History dlc.  Now, its not like flags are a big deal or a gamechanger, to be sure.  They are purely fluff; the kind of thing you add in at the end because everything else is done and you want to add some polish.  All the new MH parts are manufactured by the same vanilla companies, so obviously no new company logos.  I suppose they don't want to get political by including national flags, but Making History could've had US and Soviet flags included.  We've got NASA's period "meatball" logo, but nothing for the Soviet side of things (though the reason we have the "old" NASA Meatball is the ARM patch and the fact that its the "current" NASA logo again.)  Additionally, even the Making History logo itself was not used to make a flag.  Seems like a small nitpick, but its things like that that make me go "Wow, this dlc is packed with content! They thought of everything!", and I am definitely not saying that about the Making History Expansion.

I like the new stuff. The price is good. This game itself is, considered the depth of possibilities you get, a bargain. The DLC hopefully keeps it alive for a while longer. I am perfectly OK with that. (It is about one cinema visit. Totally worth it.)

20 hours ago, Corzan06 said:

I am genuinely gutted. I bought this on May 2nd 2013 so I missed out on the free dlc.

No need to be gutted. You might not qualify to get it for free, that doesn’t mean you won’t get it at all. It’s yours for the price of about one movie ticket, a few cups of Starbucks coffee, half a tank of gas or any of those other expenses we do on a regular basis, ie. nothing that is financially a big stretch for most. (If you can afford a computer to play KSP on you certainly can affort MH)

2 hours ago, klesh said:

$15 is 37.5% of $40.   I don't really feel like I got 40% more game here.

So Squad can raise the price to, say, $80 to make the DLC worth more value for money?

23 hours ago, fourfa said:

It's only been available to the public for about 24 hours, so not many yet.  There are a few missions available so far on this very website, in a new subforum here:

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/forum/98-making-history-missions/

One of those was developed by a KSP streamer who had early access.  It seems to have taken him about a week's worth of work to make a complex mission, and he published yesterday.  So let's not get too antsy about community missions - it's going to take a little while.

Did this forum disappear? That link worked yesterday but seems broken now, and I don't see the forum on the main page.

EDIT: Never mind, not sure what happened but it's working for me now, must have been mistaken.

Edited by Opus_723

6 minutes ago, Opus_723 said:

Did this forum disappear? That link worked yesterday but seems broken now, and I don't see the forum on the main page.

EDIT: Never mind, not sure what happened but it's working for me now, must have been mistaken.

No, you are right. There is something weird going on with the forums. I can't view the forum on 5 devices, not at home or at the office. However, yesterday I -was- able to view the forum. Furthermore, the forum I saw yesterday had -blue- headers, whilst the forum I am seeing here now has -grey- headers.

After logging in just now, I suddenly get the blue headers again and CAN view the new forum. More people must be having this issue and as a result the amount of people accessing the forums will be limited which is a disaster for an expansion that is based on community creations (the missions!).

@SQUADThere is something wrong with the forums, the new making history forums are often not accessible, sometimes (whilst logged out!) it is, but most of the time it isn't.. This is not good.