Kerbal Space Program: Making History Expansion Grand Discussion thread.

Vanamonde

4 hours ago, Psyckosama said:

And I still can't download it... :mad:

Yeah, I'm having a similar problem myself.  Even though, my copy was purchased almost a year before the cutoff mark (over 10 months before at least); I still haven't seen it on the KSP Store.  I can still do a Steam Transfer (which I'm able to due to the same reason), but no download for Making History.

I did find some issues with the KSP Store with the organization until yesterday where they're properly organized now.  However, still no download at this time (except for the base game).

4 hours ago, Kerbart said:

No need to be gutted. You might not qualify to get it for free, that doesn’t mean you won’t get it at all. It’s yours for the price of about one movie ticket, a few cups of Starbucks coffee, half a tank of gas or any of those other expenses we do on a regular basis, ie. nothing that is financially a big stretch for most. (If you can afford a computer to play KSP on you certainly can affort MH)

I will buy this, that is not in question. I just can't believe I missed the cut off date by 2 days that was all. 

:) :rep:

Actually already sent an email since yesterday when I still didn't see the download for the expansion.  I did send a notification several minutes though that I might do a Steam Transfer either tonight or tomorrow just to be on a more stable platform.

Edited by Bandock

20 hours ago, tater said:

Wow, the chutes don't really fit well in the SM-6A part.

On top of that, the part is simply too big. It's dead-on the slope of the Mk1-3, yet it's bigger at the bottom than the Mk1-3 is at the top node. It makes it look like it's a mistake, honestly.

I couldn't get the SM-6A service module to work. Even after I jettisoned the service module panels, it still wouldn't let the chutes I put in there deploy (it said they were still stowed). Of course, I WAS using clipping to get the chutes to fit...and to make the SM-6A fit better on the capsule...so maybe that messed things up.

I ended up just arranging the chutes and some other parts on top of the CM, and it looked OK. I made an Apollo Saturn IB:

GOhGHLs.jpg

And a Soyuz rocket/spacecraft:

0DJi6Uf.jpg

...so that I could do an ASTP mission. Hooray for international cooperation!

CZOhhZF.jpg

T3YKUAG.jpg

My Soyuz capsule includes a droppable heat shield and landing rockets:

qE9JGAu.jpg

7 hours ago, Brotoro said:

I couldn't get the SM-6A service module to work. Even after I jettisoned the service module panels, it still wouldn't let the chutes I put in there deploy (it said they were still stowed). Of course, I WAS using clipping to get the chutes to fit...and to make the SM-6A fit better on the capsule...so maybe that messed things up.

I ended up just arranging the chutes and some other parts on top of the CM, and it looked OK. I made an Apollo Saturn IB:

Your chutes did not deploy bc you clipped them in to far, you can rotate the smaller ones(red/orange) and they will fit. Or you can tweakscale the blue ones in there. Really we just need stacked chutes, im not sure what you call them.

Why did you choose to make your saturn that way? you have all the parts to make the actual one, well close enough anyway.

Edited by viperwolf

4 hours ago, viperwolf said:

Your chutes did not deploy bc you clipped them in to far, you can rotate the smaller ones(red/orange) and they will fit. Or you can tweakscale the blue ones in there. Really we just need stacked chutes, im not sure what you call them.

Why did you choose to make your saturn that way? you have all the parts to make the actual one, well close enough anyway.

He's making the Saturn 1B, which was used for earth orbit missions. It pretty much is as accurate as he shows it, as the first stage was supposedly a bunch of Redstone fuel tanks welded together.

As for the chutes, do make sure to check your staging. If they try to deploy on the same staging node as the shroud jettison, the game thinks they're still stowed. So long as you give the game a moment after jettisoning the shroud, they should work via staging. Either that or you've managed to clip them in even weirder than I did.

8 minutes ago, Matrix Aran said:

He's making the Saturn 1B, which was used for earth orbit missions. It pretty much is as accurate as he shows it, as the first stage was supposedly a bunch of Redstone fuel tanks welded together.

As for the chutes, do make sure to check your staging. If they try to deploy on the same staging node as the shroud jettison, the game thinks they're still stowed. So long as you give the game a moment after jettisoning the shroud, they should work via staging. Either that or you've managed to clip them in even weirder than I did.

Yeah i was actually coming back to tell him good job with it, looks like the AS-202.

On 3/15/2018 at 1:07 AM, tater said:

Wow, the chutes don't really fit well in the SM-6A part.

On top of that, the part is simply too big. It's dead-on the slope of the Mk1-3, yet it's bigger at the bottom than the Mk1-3 is at the top node. It makes it look like it's a mistake, honestly.

The bottom of the MEM looks like there are 2 nodes, but I cannot manage to get an engine to sit into the more buried one (trying to figure out a 2-stage lander).

Ah. You have to bring the motor in from the wrong side...

Not to mention that you’re forced to use the mini docking port. Under “my rules” it means I have to EVA Kerbals from one craft to anothers as they don’t fit through the docking port. But worse: it’s a wobbly connection.

Why The didn’t introduce a combined docking port/chute for a more lifelike Apollo looking solution? Makes it also easier to mount the escape tower.

I know such a mod exists... that’s not the point. :)

1 minute ago, Kerbart said:

Not to mention that you’re forced to use the mini docking port. Under “my rules” it means I have to EVA Kerbals from one craft to anothers as they don’t fit through the docking port. But worse: it’s a wobbly connection.

Why The didn’t introduce a combined docking port/chute for a more lifelike Apollo looking solution? Makes it also easier to mount the escape tower.

we really need more chute options.

1 minute ago, Kerbart said:

If I had to guess, its due to how the mini port pops up in the tech tree. That said, a kerbal head is less than .65 meters in diameter so they can fit through the ports. Their helmets are another matter, but then again, we don't know if the helmets are rigid or not. As for the wobble, autostruts are your friend.

15 hours ago, Corzan06 said:

I will buy this, that is not in question. I just can't believe I missed the cut off date by 2 days that was all. 

:) :rep:

Could be worse.  I went to college with a guy who was born a week late to be grandfathered in when they raised the drinking age from 19 to 21.  I could buy beer legally my freshman year, and he had to wait till his senior year.  He was a bit annoyed.

2 hours ago, Matrix Aran said:

I did some tests, and what you say about the parachutes needing to be in a different staging node from the shroud jettison is correct (although this means you can't put the chutes and shroud jettison together in one Action as well...which I was trying to do.

But I'm not sure that is the only problem. I also tried attaching the chutes to the capsule itself and then using the move tool to slide them up and in to the apex area. This worked fine...but then when I added the SM-6A conical service module cone to the top of the capsule (covering the chutes), this prevented the chutes from deploying (even though they weren't attached to the SM-6A part, and even after the shroud was jettisoned). I need to do more tests.

On 3/14/2018 at 8:21 PM, Red Thought said:

The only thing that this Dlc seems to have done is to delay for more than 2 months my ability to play, what is currently, my favorite game. I am rather sad overall.

I have been playing KSP for years and this is the first time I have ever been disappointed by a release/update.

I've recently played the new add-on. Some of the things I like: for example, the Soviet spherical pods. These pods have amazing survivability: they can reenter at 3000+ km/s and land perfectly fine. However, some parts were a huge disappointment, such as the Bear engine: this engine has almost exactly the same stats as the Reliant, but it needs more tech than the Reliant. I see no reason why use it at all, save for historical reenactment: the Reliant can do everything this engine can do, and can't do the same thing Reliant can't do (namely, thrust vectoring).

Size 1.5 is also made of win. This is the size KSP sorely needed: the right size for Mun and Minmus missions, when standard small size just won't cut it and Rockomax is overkill.

Edited by ave369

21 hours ago, Bandock said:

Actually already sent an email since yesterday when I still didn't see the download for the expansion.  I did send a notification several minutes though that I might do a Steam Transfer either tonight or tomorrow just to be on a more stable platform.

A Steam transfer can be done? I am also having problems trying to buy the expansion from KSP store, so I would be really happy if I could have KSP on Steam

1 hour ago, ave369 said:

Size 1.5 is also made of win. This is the size KSP sorely needed: the right size for Mun and Minmus missions, when standard small size just won't cut it and Rockomax is overkill.

You mean the 1.8m?  I used the heck out of Angel-125's version.  You could build an nice 1.5m probe and fit it all under a fairing.

I have not messed with the mission builder bc well......it was something im not interested in. Until, I saw Scott M. only use the planner to launch a rocket into orbit without controls. Ok now im interested in this, and opens a whole new game of possibilities for me.

My question though: can we use the planner to make our staged boosters land, while our main rocket is still heading to target? I have reusable boosters that work great with FMRS. I think the planner would be fun to get right.

8 hours ago, DerekL1963 said:

You mean the 1.8m?  I used the heck out of Angel-125's version.  You could build an nice 1.5m probe and fit it all under a fairing.

1.875 m, to be more precise. But if 1.25 m is Size 1 and 2.5 m is Size 2, then this is Size 1.5.

4 minutes ago, Majorjim! said:

no. Once it's out of range, poof..

Thats what I was afraid of, It would nice if it could simulate the landing virtually and let you know if they landed. Or just implement FMRS as stock, then watch them in a replay style. That would work pretty good. I would not mind watching a replay of my spent stages returning.

Edited by viperwolf

22 hours ago, Brotoro said:

I also tried attaching the chutes to the capsule itself and then using the move tool to slide them up and in to the apex area. This worked fine...but then when I added the SM-6A conical service module cone to the top of the capsule (covering the chutes), this prevented the chutes from deploying (even though they weren't attached to the SM-6A part, and even after the shroud was jettisoned). I need to do more tests.

I put them in 3-way symmetry on the top of the capsule, then the SM-6A on top, via the attachment node.  I don't bother to raise them withg the move tool into the physical space of the SM-6A, and I've not run into any problems.  Mind you, I decouple the SM-6A and pop the chutes both via staging, generally... PAW on occasion for the SM-6A.