So I bought KSP on March 29th, 2013.

syfyguy64

4 hours ago, DerekL1963 said:

MH isn't a new version - it's add on content.

Making History isn't just addon content, it's a new version.  It's KSP 1.4.1, which is identical to KSP 1.4 if you don't have Making History.  As @Geonovast said, many mods don't support 1.4 yet.  And you can't be sure that what Making History does to KSP won't break some mods.  I've written enough software meself that "just added content" often has ramifications beyond what you think.  And as @Temeter said, it has bugs that need to be addressed.

1 hour ago, Jacke said:

Making History isn't just addon content, it's a new version.  It's KSP 1.4.1, which is identical to KSP 1.4 if you don't have Making History.  As @Geonovast said, many mods don't support 1.4 yet.  And you can't be sure that what Making History does to KSP won't break some mods.  I've written enough software meself that "just added content" often has ramifications beyond what you think.  And as @Temeter said, it has bugs that need to be addressed.

No it isn't. 1.4.1is a patched update of 1.4.  MH is a completely optional DLC that requires 1.4 to install.  You can get 1.4.1 without Making History.

54 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

No it isn't. 1.4.1is a patched update of 1.4.  MH is a completely optional DLC that requires 1.4 to install.  You can get 1.4.1 without Making History.

Squad said there's no changes from 1.4 to 1.4.1 if you don't have Making History.  So technically it isn't a patch.  It's a version number change simultaneous with the release of Making History.  And Making History can be bought and included with KSP from version 1.4.1 on.

But it comes down to Making History still changes KSP.  It can have side effects (especially from any bugs it has) and mod writers will have to vet their mods to be sure they work with Making History.  Or mod writers won't vet their mods with respect to Making History.  But that doesn't remove the possibility of side effects, especially with mods added.

Edited by Jacke

4 minutes ago, Jacke said:

Squad said there's no changes from 1.4 to 1.4.1 if you don't have Making History.  So technically it isn't a patch.  It's a version number change simultaneous with the release of Making History.  And Making History can be bought and included with KSP from version 1.4.1 on.

But it comes down to Making History still changes KSP.  It can have side effects (especially from any bugs it has) and mod writers will have to vet their mods to be sure they work with Making History.  Or mod writers won't vet their mods with respect to Making History.  But that doesn't remove the possibility of side effects, especially with mods added.

Incorrect.

There were bug fixes with 1.4.1,  most notable of which is the IVA fix for the Mk 1-3 command pod.  So it is a patch.  Just because 1.4.1 and MH were released at the same time, doesn't make them the same thing.  You can install 1.4.1 without getting Making History.

The risk of MH affecting mods if no different than that of other mods affecting your mods.  By your logic all mod makers should just stop development completely, because of the tiny chance of an incompatibility.

I suggest you start actually reading the available information about 1.4.1 and Making History before you continue to insist that your information is correct.

1 hour ago, Jacke said:

Squad said there's no changes from 1.4 to 1.4.1 if you don't have Making History.  So technically it isn't a patch.  It's a version number change simultaneous with the release of Making History. 

Interesting - then why are their patch notes for version 1.4.1 in the readme?  And why does my game report itself as 1.4.1?  And why then is 1.4.1 a different download (a new installer) separate from MH?  Etc... etc... etc...

1 hour ago, Geonovast said:

But it comes down to Making History still changes KSP. 

(The quote above actually comes from Jacke.)

MH adds parts and additional content - it does not make any changes to the base game.  It's DLC, not a new version of the game.  (It even has its own, separate, version number - 1.0.) 

Edited by DerekL1963

I downloaded the demo the day I learned the game existed. Landed on Mun the next day (or maybe the day after that, it was a long time ago) and bought the game immediately upon returning to Kerbin. Then I joined the forum. That was all back in early July 2013.

I bought the DLC the moment I saw it was available, and have no qualms about it though I'd prefer it be a bit more playable.

Edited by 5thHorseman

On 14.3.2018 at 1:02 AM, eddiew said:

I've had over 4000 hours out of KSP and am happy to pay for an expansion pack that I have basically no interest in :) 

Pretty much this, did not thought I was in before cut so was very surprised I could download the dlc with game. 
Would bought it but waited until mods was updated, still waiting for 2-3 before switching. 

I based my comment about 1.4.1 having no changes (besides being a version bump at the same time as the release of Making History) upon a post, which of course I can't find now, by a reputable source, to the best of my recollection a Squad staff member.  Considering what the others here posted above, that's obviously wrong.  Wonderful.  Forgot to "Trust, but verify."

EDIT: Found the post.  JPLRepo said in this post "The code base between 1.4.0 and 1.4.1 will not be very different." and I misinterpreted that as no difference between 1.4 and 1.4.1 except the option of having the DLC Making History.  The Devil's in the details.

Edited by Jacke

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.