Help with First SQUAD Mission

Okay, so I'm in the first mission, which requires you to launch up to 5000m, however, the in game desc says you will do multiple missions, but it says I need to do them all. Also, the only parts i have are the Stayputnik, an SRB, Winglets, and a radial chute. You can't really steer an SRB rocket.

Once you get the first section done, different parts are available to you for each additional leg of mission.

As far as steering the SRB, I dropped the thrust down a bit, used a fuselage section or two and put on 3 controllable winglets and got through just fine.  Get creative :P

17 hours ago, be77solo said:

As far as steering the SRB, I dropped the thrust down a bit, used a fuselage section or two and put on 3 controllable winglets and got through just fine.  Get creative

Indeed, it's also possible to steer/glide on the way down. That said, this mission is the very first one in Squad's list and this very first part of the mission requires some pretty advanced skills: SRB thrust limiting, aerodynamic wing placement, hitting a tiny target unpowered without SAS. It might have been nice to have something to ease into the harder stuff.

On 3/14/2018 at 10:48 AM, Mr Shifty said:

Indeed, it's also possible to steer/glide on the way down. That said, this mission is the very first one in Squad's list and this very first part of the mission requires some pretty advanced skills: SRB thrust limiting, aerodynamic wing placement, hitting a tiny target unpowered without SAS. It might have been nice to have something to ease into the harder stuff.

I agree. I gave it several attempts, but the closest I could get to the Island Runway was 9.5 km.

I did hit 0.12km from the target after quite a lot of tries and this was a steep learning curve about KSP aerodynamics and control. I am currently working my a** to get full achievements of the second flight and if you think the first flight was difficult then good luck with the second one :) Again, the point here is to try, learn and repeat - after probably 3-4 hours of trying I can quite reliably hit 3 waypoints but combining this with temperature reading and landing close to target is still a long way away for me.

Anyway, I think a better approach is to concentrate first on the main objectives of the mission and pass the whole mission. This will give a sense of accomplishment required to keep you going. Good luck!

I got it within 80 meters of the target, but I've done lots of manual flying of planes in the game before.  The trick is to make your rocket a vertically launched glider plane, that uses the solid booster as its fuselage, and uses that size adapter (there's a reason you were given one) between stayputnik and solid booster, to reduce drag and increase glide distance (the fuel you have to remove because of the extra mass this causes is worth it - the extra glide distance is worth more than that bit of fuel.)  You also have to be well versed in how to fly by using Pitch Trim instead of raw pitch, as raw pitch will violently wiggle the elevator too much and cause too much drag.

This was a pretty advanced mission to give you as your first starting mission.  (I also get frustrated with the missions' tendency to coyly hide the *real* mission objectives until after you're partway through flying the mission, guaranteeing your first craft design can't meet the criteria since you built it according to the lies you were told beforehand, rather than according to the real objectives.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.