[1.8.x] reDIRECT | Stockalike Orion, SLS, & Shuttle-Derived Launchers | (Fixes!) | v0.10.1

benjee10

Just now, Santi said:

@benjee10 good work. Is there any chance you could change the manufacturer of the parts to something unique so they're a bit easier to find in the editor?

You can use the search function to search for Orion or Redirect or the name of the rocket you're trying to build. Eventually I do plan on changing manufacturers but at the moment that's secondary to getting all the parts in game and balanced first.

20 minutes ago, Tyko said:

this is really cool...where are the parachutes supposed to go? can they hide under than conical ring at the top?

Yup, the idea is you can use whatever parachutes you want and hide science instruments etc. under that if you want to. It can decouple cleanly with anything up to about 1.25m attached above it (the stock clamp-o-tron causes no problems, for example). 

23 hours ago, demibear said:

Indeed, though how do you resize?

Oh. There's a number of image editors that can resize a DDS file. Gimp, and I think Paint.NET and Kryta. There's always Photoshop if you have access to it

Edited by akron

I already built my favorite rocket that didn't happen! Cheers. I can easily accomplish what I want to make with tweakscale and or bluedog and other mods but it would be cool if you made some more 3.125 parts for the Orion. Like tanks, engine plates, and fairings. For now I can play with tweakscale and be perfectly fine but 3.125 parts arent as easy to come by. They are the new 1.875.

jN218CZ.png

Edited by sp1989

22 hours ago, Tyko said:

Will there be a fairing that fits over the base of the capsule?

What about a 3.175 to 3.75 adapter?

wow..this is very exciting  :D 

23 minutes ago, sp1989 said:

I already built my favorite rocket that didn't happen! Cheers. I can easily accomplish what I want to make with tweakscale and or bluedog and other mods but it would be cool if you made some more 3.125 parts for the Orion. Like tanks, engine plates, and fairings. For now I can play with tweakscale and be perfectly fine but 3.125 parts arent as easy to come by. They are the new 1.875.

Plan is that there will be 3.125m fairing base and stack separator included with Orion. Then when I get onto Ares I I will flesh out the 3.125m parts range a little more. I think 3.125m is approx. right for the SLS Pyrios boosters too, in KSP scale they work out at around 3.5m and I'm not sure whether I should scale them up to 3.75m or down to 3.125m. That's in the future though. 

24 minutes ago, benjee10 said:

Plan is that there will be 3.125m fairing base and stack separator included with Orion. Then when I get onto Ares I I will flesh out the 3.125m parts range a little more. I think 3.125m is approx. right for the SLS Pyrios boosters too, in KSP scale they work out at around 3.5m and I'm not sure whether I should scale them up to 3.75m or down to 3.125m. That's in the future though. 

Absolutely. I am the king of make do. I can have fun in KSP mixing and matching everything. I was just wondering only because I love the Ares1 and I am still a bit annoyed its never going to be a real. Plenty of ways and parts to make whatever I want. Also for the people wanting to rig up a tentative parachute system the one from Bluedog for the kane fits and works perfectly. I used the docking probe for my save but it decouples whatever docking port you choose. They almost like they are supposed to be there. Cheers.XyTaghw.png

Dh28WFm.png

The orion capsule seems to have pretty low quality textures (they seem compressed or lossy), is that just because it's a dev release? The textures seem fine in the renders. Sweet stuff though, can't wait for the fairing/adapter.

19 minutes ago, Santi said:

The orion capsule seems to have pretty low quality textures (they seem compressed or lossy), is that just because it's a dev release? The textures seem fine in the renders. Sweet stuff though, can't wait for the fairing/adapter.

That's down the texel density of the parts. They're consistent with the Mk2 & Mk3 spaceplane parts but I guess I could go from a 2K to a 4K texture on the Orion capsule if there's enough demand for it. Would take a fair bit of work though.

1 hour ago, benjee10 said:

Cool. Yea 3.125 makes sense for Orion. As for other parts. It might be worth standardizing on the 3.125 size or 3.75 size. This gives the players more flexibility to mix and match components.

Do you have Paypal? I'll shoot you some coffee/beer money to fuel your work  :) 

2 hours ago, benjee10 said:

Oh dang, you're doing the Pyrios?

2 hours ago, benjee10 said:

On the subject of Pyrios's diameter, a quick look at a pdf about it and comparison with Orion's diameter leads me to believe it should be 3.125m

6 hours ago, benjee10 said:

That's down the texel density of the parts. They're consistent with the Mk2 & Mk3 spaceplane parts but I guess I could go from a 2K to a 4K texture on the Orion capsule if there's enough demand for it. Would take a fair bit of work though.

Oh no, stock-like is good enough for me.

7 hours ago, sp1989 said:

Absolutely. I am the king of make do. I can have fun in KSP mixing and matching everything. I was just wondering only because I love the Ares1 and I am still a bit annoyed its never going to be a real. Plenty of ways and parts to make whatever I want. Also for the people wanting to rig up a tentative parachute system the one from Bluedog for the kane fits and works perfectly. I used the docking probe for my save but it decouples whatever docking port you choose. They almost like they are supposed to be there. Cheers.

Yes, almost as if indeed. Though I do not think the docking port is suppose to come off too. Managed to resize the kane parachute to 1.5m, attach it to the top of the docking port, and then slide it down to its proper place. Seems to decouple without taking the port with it.

Edited by demibear

12 hours ago, Tyko said:

Cool. Yea 3.125 makes sense for Orion. As for other parts. It might be worth standardizing on the 3.125 size or 3.75 size. This gives the players more flexibility to mix and match components.

Yeah I'm hoping to fully flesh out the 3.125m line, I think Cobalt might have some plans regarding this too so hopefully we can get it set up as a nice intermediate standard size! 

I do indeed have PayPal, any coffee money is greatly appreciated :wink:

btn_donateCC_LG.gif

17 hours ago, Tyko said:

As @benjee10 alluded to there are already a number of 3.125m parts in BDB and they are being expanded into a fully fleshed out bulkhead profile part set based on the Titan-Barbarian proposals.

I know @Superpenguin160's Vulcan revamp will also be 3.125m. :)

I do have one request that you already addressed. It’s a personal problem and even though I do agree it’s more important for you to develop and make this mod better labeling your parts with you’re own company really would make a HUGE difference in terms of quaility of life. Especially for people ikr myself who use a lot of part mods that have a few similar styles. Fruits for thought. It’s not pressing or important but it sure would make ALOT of people happy.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.