[1.8.x] reDIRECT | Stockalike Orion, SLS, & Shuttle-Derived Launchers | (Fixes!) | v0.10.1

benjee10

19 hours ago, The_Arcitect said:

The SSME is not in squad folder.

???

The SSME in this pack is only a config, using the model of the stock KS-25B. And this is in the Squad-folder (path: Squad/Parts/Engine/liquidEngineSSME/SSME).
If it is not there you deleted it. Just reinstall KSP or check your KSP-files with steam (if you downloaded it with steam).

2 hours ago, Cheesecake said:

???

The SSME in this pack is only a config, using the model of the stock KS-25B. And this is in the Squad-folder (path: Squad/Parts/Engine/liquidEngineSSME/SSME).
If it is not there you deleted it. Just reinstall KSP or check your KSP-files with steam (if you downloaded it with steam).

Oh OK, thanks @Cheesecake.

On 3/22/2019 at 10:05 AM, StarStreak2109 said:

Just a quick note regarding the placeholder SSME. You need to whitelist the Squad model, when you install restock, otherwise the .mu-file will not be loaded by KSP.

On 3/31/2019 at 5:58 PM, The_Arcitect said:

The SSME is not in squad folder.

On 4/1/2019 at 2:02 PM, Cheesecake said:

???

See my post above, if you happen to have Restock installed...

1 hour ago, RaiderMan said:

is it possible to use this parts pack to build a delta IV heavy?

It has the ICPS from the SLS, which is basically a 5m Delta Cryogenic Second Stage from Delta IV, but it doesn't have the RS-68 ( yet ) nor the tankage. There's 3.125m tank parts for Ares I, but they're not really long enough for Delta IV. You could make some stacked abomination with multiple Ares I oxidizer tanks, I guess, but still no engine, nor adapters for the upper stage.

*Edited for fat fingers. Woo!

Edited by Mudwig

10 hours ago, Mudwig said:

It has the ICPS from the SLS, which is basically a 5m Delta Cryogenic Second Stage from Delta IV, but it doesn't have the RS-68 ( yet ) nor the tankage. There's 3.125m tank parts for Ares I, but they're not really long enough for Delta IV. You could make some stacked abomination with multiple Ares I oxidizer tanks, I guess, but still no engine, nor adapters for the upper stage.

*Edited for fat fingers. Woo!

There is a matching engine in CryoEngines from Nertea. Not sure though if you'd have to tweakscale it a bit.

57 minutes ago, StarStreak2109 said:

There is a matching engine in CryoEngines from Nertea. Not sure though if you'd have to tweakscale it a bit.

It's 3.75m. Tweakscale can get it close enough to the right size. You'll have to fiddle with the thrust settings to dial it in though. Nertea's engines aren't as heavy as the ones in reDIRECT either, so there might be balance issues as well. 

Oh, also, the CryoTanks MM patches mess up the tanks in reDIRECT so that'd have to be addressed as well. I actually stopped using CryoEngines because I was tired of playing compatibility whack-a-mole with mod parts that already have LH2 configs.

1 hour ago, Mudwig said:

It's 3.75m. Tweakscale can get it close enough to the right size. You'll have to fiddle with the thrust settings to dial it in though. Nertea's engines aren't as heavy as the ones in reDIRECT either, so there might be balance issues as well. 

Oh, also, the CryoTanks MM patches mess up the tanks in reDIRECT so that'd have to be addressed as well. I actually stopped using CryoEngines because I was tired of playing compatibility whack-a-mole with mod parts that already have LH2 configs.

Personally I used a module manager patch to create a +PART and then rescaled and tweaked the thrust rather than tweakscaling and detuning it in the VAB. Downrating the thrust in the Vab turns down the plume and sound intensity and I cant have that :cool:

I actually just had a brainwave and realised what was going on with CryoTanks and mods like reDirect. The patch that targets the Zero boiloff tanks in CryoTanks is the culprit as it looks for any parts that contain the resource liquid hydrogen and then does its thing. The problem is that the fuel ratios used when setting up the tank switcher are set with CryoTanks ZBO tanks in mind which are LH2 only! So when it comes across a part like reDirect with LH2 which natively have LH2 and Ox it messes up.

However if you go to CryoTanks/Patches/CryoTanksFuelTankSwitcher.cfg

change the following line

// ZBO tanks
@PART[*]:HAS[@RESOURCE[LqdHydrogen],!MODULE[InterstellarFuelSwitch],!MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX],!MODULE[ModuleEngines],!MODULE[FSfuelSwitch],!MODULE[WBIConvertibleStorage],!MODULE[WBIResourceSwitcher]]:NEEDS[!ModularFuelTanks&!RealFuels]:FOR[zzz_CryoTanks]

to 

// ZBO tanks
@PART[hydrogen*]:HAS[@RESOURCE[LqdHydrogen],!MODULE[InterstellarFuelSwitch],!MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX],!MODULE[ModuleEngines],!MODULE[FSfuelSwitch],!MODULE[WBIConvertibleStorage],!MODULE[WBIResourceSwitcher]]:NEEDS[!ModularFuelTanks&!RealFuels]:FOR[zzz_CryoTanks]

then it only applies the patch to the tanks included in CryoTanks (the part names all start with hydrogen). the only downside is that you will not have CryoTanks boil off functionality with reDirect and other similar mods.

59 minutes ago, Zorg said:

Personally I used a module manager patch to create a +PART and then rescaled and tweaked the thrust rather than tweakscaling and detuning it in the VAB. Downrating the thrust in the Vab turns down the plume and sound intensity and I cant have that :cool:

Hey would you be willing to share or post the numbers you used on the icps to make it scaled down?  Or just post the config?  With RESTOCK there is basically enough parts to do a mock up... 

4 minutes ago, debaker02 said:

Hey would you be willing to share or post the numbers you used on the icps to make it scaled down?  Or just post the config?  With RESTOCK there is basically enough parts to do a mock up... 

Oh I didn't rescale the ICPS. It's the correct size. Only the RS68 engine (named Mars in CryoEngines). I'll share it when I get home, am out right now. 

@debaker02 Here's the patch I'm using:

Spoiler

// Rescaled RS68 

+PART[cryoengine-375-1]
{
      @name = CryoRS68A
      @rescaleFactor = 0.833
      @title = RS68A Engine for Delta IV
      @mass = 8

@MODULE[ModuleEnginesFX]
      {
        @maxThrust = 1200
        !atmosphereCurve {}
            atmosphereCurve
            {
          key = 0 415
          key = 1 365
          key = 4 0.001
            }
      }
}

EDIT: Actually I remember now, I ended up tweaking thrust values (since its a long burning quasi-sustainer the usual 25% of real world value for sea level engines is a bit underpowered) I finally settled on 1,200 Kn which you also get if you tweakscale to 3.100m. So might as well just tweakscale.

This my recommendation for the build (I posted this on reddit and Tory Bruno commented on it so you can consider it officially ULA approved :cool: )

ReStock tanks, all tweakscaled to 3.125m, Using these tanks will give you a 25m tall common booster core in game which is the right size.

Spoiler

From the top

1. Rockomax X200-32

2. Kerbodyne S3-7200

3. Kerbodyne S3 14400

4. Rockomax jumbo 64

5. Rockomax X200 -8

iobhRTKh.png

Stick the reDirect ICPS (which looks amazing) on top of course and you're done!

EWUJzNch.png

If you want to do an all reDirect build the Ares I tanks are the right diameter but getting the right height while positioning the white inter-tank(?) in the right spot might be challenging.

Edited by Zorg

I'll be adding some more generic 3.125m cryogenic tanks & parts of various lengths in the near future that should make the Delta IV build easier. The RS-68 seems like it would fit in quite well too, that way you have a lifter engine and a sustainer in the form of J-2X in that size profile. At some point I will do a pass on engines to give them the proper shrouds/emissives/mount options that they need.  

Edited by benjee10

3 minutes ago, benjee10 said:

I'll be adding some more generic 3.125m cryogenic tanks & parts of various lengths in the near future that should make the Delta IV build easier. The RS-68 seems like it would fit in quite well too, that way you have a lifter engine and a sustainer in the form of J-2X in that size profile. At some point I will do a pass on engines to give them the proper shrouds/emissives/mount options that they need.  

That would be really cool! Plus the RS68 was used in some Ares V designs right? So very much within scope

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/2/2019 at 11:18 PM, StarStreak2109 said:

See my post above, if you happen to have Restock installed...

Super late reply, but how do you 'whitelist' the part? I have Restock and reDIRECT and there's no SSME engine, only the Stock one (with Restock) that runs on LF/OX
So how do I whitelist the Squad model?

Edited by space_powder

4 hours ago, space_powder said:

Super late reply, but how do you 'whitelist' the part? I have Restock and reDIRECT and there's no SSME engine, only the Stock one (with Restock) that runs on LF/OX

3 hours ago, Cheesecake said:

Doesn't work for me, it just removes the Vector engine completely. I put the .restockwhitelist file in GameData/ReStock and did all the steps accordingly (or atleast I hope so) but nothing is working

8 hours ago, space_powder said:

Just pushed an update to the dev version on GitHub which will address this among other things:

DOWNLOAD LINK

If you didn't see my post over on the Shuttle Orbiter dev thread, I'm gonna be putting most of my KSP things on hold for a little while due to some sad family news. Just releasing this now to get a few long-standing things out of the way. Basically added a whitelist so that ReStock doesn't prevent SSME loading, rebalanced a bunch of the big orange tanks for 2.5x, moved the KJ10 engine to Benjee10_sharedAssets, and fixed some of the NREs associated with the B9 texture switchable parts. Hopefully it should play a little better now, especially on rescaled systems! Give me a shout if you find any problems and I'll try to address them when I'm back.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.