[1.8.x] reDIRECT | Stockalike Orion, SLS, & Shuttle-Derived Launchers | (Fixes!) | v0.10.1

benjee10

By curiosity, do you plan an inline chute on the top of the SRB?
I noticed it on the diagram of the real SS SRB:
Space_Shuttle_SRB_diagram.png

Your SRB became my first stage for all my interplanetary ships in my 1.4.5 save :)

It is.  You'll get some B9 partswitch warnings on load but otherwise works fine.

Slightly off topic, give this is a very regular question but I'm curious as to what stops people simply loading the mod and trying it out for themselves... is it a fear of breaking a save game or something else?

Just now, Friznit said:

It is.  You'll get some B9 partswitch warnings on load but otherwise works fine.

Slightly off topic, give this is a very regular question but I'm curious as to what stops people simply loading the mod and trying it out for themselves... is it a fear of breaking a save game or something else?

It was the B9 PartSwitch errors that turned me off.

I typical load mods up to see if they work, some times i ask before i install but most parts mods work across versions. 

• 3 weeks later...

Since the beautiful reDirect ICPS can double as a DCSS, this is a small Tweakscale MM patch so you can downsize it to 4m diameter (2.5 in KSP Scale) for use on Delta III and Delta IV Medium.  Obviously requires Tweakscale.

SCALETYPE
{
    name = DCSS_Scale
    freeScale = false
    scaleFactors = 0.8, 1.0
    scaleNames = 4m, 5m
    defaultScale = 1.0
}

@PART[DIRECT_SLS_ICPS]:AFTER[reDIRECT]:NEEDS[reDIRECT,Scale]
{
#@TWEAKSCALEBEHAVIOR[Engine]/MODULE[TweakScale] { }
%MODULE[TweakScale]
    {
        name=DCSS_Scale
        type=DCSS_Scale
        defaultScale = 1
    }
}

Just a little heads up, I wrote a PR for CryoTanks which was merged a couple of weeks ago that makes CryoTanks play nicely with reDirect. Now when CT is installed with reDirect, the reDirect hydrolox tanks will get the CryoTanks switcher (for LH2+Ox, Lh2 only and Ox only) and the CT boiloff module but it will now calculate the volume correctly.

ie. when the tank is set to LH2+Ox, it will have the same fuel values as when reDirect is installed without CryoTanks.

The older workaround patch floating in this thread to first convert the tanks to LFO and then have CT patch it the way it patches stock tanks is therefore no longer necessary unless you want an LFO option.

New dev version on the GitHub, added SRB & External Tank decouplers that interface well with Shuttle Orbiter Construction Kit. 

Also polished up the normals on all parts, turns out there was some weirdness with the way normals had been exporting previously so I ran all the bump maps through Substance Painter and they look a lot cleaner now. 

externalTank2.jpgexternalTank.jpg

2 minutes ago, benjee10 said:

New dev version on the GitHub, added SRB & External Tank decouplers that interface well with Shuttle Orbiter Construction Kit. 

Also polished up the normals on all parts, turns out there was some weirdness with the way normals had been exporting previously so I ran all the bump maps through Substance Painter and they look a lot cleaner now. 

externalTank2.jpgexternalTank.jpg

Much thanks my friend! Now i can make shuttle missions come true!

Fixed up the B9PartSwitch errors and updated the craft files - enjoy update 0.9.9. Due to the way I had to fix the B9 issues, this may result in problems with existing vessels using the Orion Launch Escape System, so bear that in mind. 

SPACEDOCK

SLS_1.jpgSLS_2.jpgSLS_3.jpg

Ares1_1.jpgAres1_2.jpgAres1_3.jpg

3 minutes ago, DriftedCougar said:

(installs update) uhh is there any reason why the download now is 160MB?

Strange, must be compressing differently somehow. The actual gamedata folder is a little smaller. Will look into it. 

On 6/17/2019 at 8:42 PM, sslaptnhablhat said:

@benjee10 Seeing as the APAS port has a hole straight through its' middle, would it be possible to replace the kinda ugly stock texture on the very top of the Orion capsule with the same texture as the APAS end of Habtech's PMA? I think it could make Orion look quite a bit nicer than it already does.

Yes, I'll be doing some revamps on a few parts further down the line. 

Minor dev update is out on GitHub, fixes the positioning of some thrust transforms on the SRB nosecone and alters a few other values in order to finally fix the issue of the boosters tumbling asymmetrically after sep - so your stage separations will look a lot cleaner now. I've also increased the fuel values of the Ares I parts based on feedback, so these should hopefully feel a bit less underpowered. You will need to rebuild existing craft to see this change and the bundled craft files haven't yet been updated. 

On 6/20/2019 at 7:31 AM, DriftedCougar said:

Those look more plain-er :P The only advanced booster i remember wil be added for certain is the pyrios LFB.

They look plain and generic because NASA has not decided on which advanced booster to go with for block II. There's the Dark Knight SRB's, an upgraded SRB. An LRB powered by 3 AJ1E6 engines, and ofc the Pyrios boosters.

32 minutes ago, Jay The Amazing Toaster said:

They look plain and generic because NASA has not decided on which advanced booster to go with for block II. There's the Dark Knight SRB's, an upgraded SRB. An LRB powered by 3 AJ1E6 engines, and ofc the Pyrios boosters.

I believe the plans for upgraded boosters in general have been dropped. I am fairly certain that the Pyrios boosters in particular aren't in the running anymore if upgraded boosters are still being studied.

14 minutes ago, RaiderMan said:

well then..how's it fly?

Really quite well. Twin boar tweakscaled to 3.15m gives the right KSP scaled thrust. It's got pretty high TWR on the first stage but with the lower TWR on the second, flew beautifully in JNSQ Kerbin using mechjebs PVG guidance mode. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.