benjee10

[1.7.x] reDIRECT | Stockalike Orion, SLS, & Shuttle-Derived Launchers | (Craft files!) | v0.9.9

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, benjee10 said:

Hey guys! 

Well, I'm finally back. It's been a pretty chaotic 6 months or so - I've made a short film, graduated from university, moved house, started a new job, and been away for a while, but I'm finally at a point where I can start coming back to this and continue developing. I do have several of my own projects on the go at the same time so it's likely to be slow, but hopefully no so slow as to be completely static

First order of business will be to take a look at what I have so far and see where gaps need filling in and stuff needs polishing, and see what 1.5 has inevitably broken. I'm also going to be taking a look at where I want to take the mod going forward, and given my limited time, that's probably going to mean streamlining. I want to avoid part bloat and file size bloat if I can (the mod is already pretty big), so unfortunately, that probably means Ares V is not gonna happen. I'll provide an Ares V-alike engine mount to use with the SLS tank which will do the job aesthetically, but I really don't want to go down the route of adding yet another part size which is basically a monolithic orange tank. It doesn't really hold much appeal for me. 

Another I'm not planning is LFO support. It's not a direction I want to go in; the parts are designed to work the LH2 and balancing for LFO has no real interest for me, as it really breaks the balance and purpose of the mod. If you guys want to create configs for it I'm happy to include them, but I don't intend to provide active support for them at this time or in future. 

Anyway, I'm gonna boot up KSP for the first time in an age and see how things hold together. Back with updates soon! 

Does this mod or RealPlume, have integration of RealPlume for your mod? If not, can someone message here a MM RealPlume code that adds it to this mod?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, benjee10 said:

Hey guys! 

Well, I'm finally back. It's been a pretty chaotic 6 months or so - I've made a short film, graduated from university, moved house, started a new job, and been away for a while, but I'm finally at a point where I can start coming back to this and continue developing. I do have several of my own projects on the go at the same time so it's likely to be slow, but hopefully no so slow as to be completely static.

he bacc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, benjee10 said:

Hey guys! 

Well, I'm finally back.

[snip]

Before you get to creating excellent (I assume) SLS parts (or whatever else you have planned :wink:), will you finish your Ares I parts? I think some of the textures need cleaning up/polishing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Saltshaker said:

Before you get to creating excellent (I assume) SLS parts (or whatever else you have planned :wink:), will you finish your Ares I parts? I think some of the textures need cleaning up/polishing.

Yup, Ares I & general polish are first up on the list. Everything seems to be pretty stable in 1.5.1 so far and I've started fixing up some simple, older issues like the duplicate geometry on the 5-seg booster & the Ares I fairing showing up in the editor window. 

I'm going to sit down and have a look through all the textures tomorrow evening and see what needs working on most urgently. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TameFroggy said:

I'm more excited about the lander parts, not really any stockalike ones.

Did someone mention landers? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, notJebKerman said:

Did someone mention landers? 

 

too BDB-like for my taste

Edited by TameFroggy
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TameFroggy said:

too BDB-like for my taste

If you ask me nothing can be too BDB-like ;)

Edited by notJebKerman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, TameFroggy said:

too BDB-like for my taste

Ouch :D

Edited by CobaltWolf

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Minor update released, primarily just to verify that everything works with 1.5.1. 

Made a couple of fixes and added 3 adapter parts to make the 3.125m Ares I parts more versatile. 

ONp8oCe.png

Not much to shout about & still need some work on normals/spec, but definitely essential parts. 

Available on the GitHub and SpaceDock!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, therealcrow999 said:

Could someone do a MM patch for RealPlume, using this mod? I found one MM, but it is only for one engine. I'm looking for a complete RealPlume for this mod, thanks!

sounds like a great project...you should take a shot at it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice you have really outdone yourself. Any chance of a Buran/Energia style lifter?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/5/2018 at 5:04 PM, Eskandare said:

Nice you have really outdone yourself. Any chance of a Buran/Energia style lifter?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/22/2018 at 10:01 AM, benjee10 said:

I want to avoid part bloat and file size bloat if I can (the mod is already pretty big), so unfortunately, that probably means Ares V is not gonna happen. I'll provide an Ares V-alike engine mount to use with the SLS tank which will do the job aesthetically, but I really don't want to go down the route of adding yet another part size which is basically a monolithic orange tank. It doesn't really hold much appeal for me. 

Dang that kinda sucks, but I understand where you’re coming from. Would you be willing to do the RS-68 in some form along with the mount, could help a lot for those itching to have an even closer representation of the Ares V without having to do the whole thing.

Edited by Jay The Amazing Toaster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have modified @Saltshaker patch to make the tank balanced to stock parts. This will increase fuel in the tank. It's definitely OP in the stock game but more balanced in 2.5x and 3.2x rescale.

I also reduce the thrust of SRB to 60% for more comfortable G-load and comparable burn time to the stock long shuttle SRB.

It will need the B9 part switch to have LH2+LOX tank.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oat8qnwyhwjbnoz/RedirectPatch.cfg?dl=0

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

@Pulsar there is a comment without anything after it in line 25
//Olympus S4-1 5m LFO Tank

Based on the saltshaker patch. The 5m nose cone and Olympus S4-1 5m LFO tank are balanced to have the same volume. So the patch applied to both tanks to have the same amount of fuel capacity.

I may have to tinker on the actual math if both tanks are really equal in volume.

Edit: It's pretty close, the nose tank when approximate as a cylinder and cone is slightly less volume, I keep the patch stats the same and only modify the name for clarification.

Edited by Pulsar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was just playing around with the Orion. The Forward Service Cone gets stuck in a stock 1.25m docking port when you try to eject it. Looks like the cone's opening diameter is a bit too narrow to allow it to slide over the stock docking port.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Tyko said:

Was just playing around with the Orion. The Forward Service Cone gets stuck in a stock 1.25m docking port when you try to eject it. Looks like the cone's opening diameter is a bit too narrow to allow it to slide over the stock docking port.

It's meant to house a 0.9375m docking port. There's one in his older mod, Hab Tech.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TameFroggy said:

It's meant to house a 0.9375m docking port. There's one in his older mod, Hab Tech.

@benjee10 The service cone opening would only have to be ever so slightly wider to accomodate the 1.25m. It's close enough that sometimes it actually shakes loose on it's own, it's just not a smooth release.

Would you please consider widening that opening a bit? The alternative is to:

  1. adopt an entirely new port size
  2. add a new slightly narrower 1.25m port that's compatible with Stock but fits through the hole.

Thanks. Very excited about this pack.

Edited by Tyko

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How much DeltaV does the Ares 5 have when fully assembled? it looks like it could fly to Jool and back.

Also, it looks awesome! Stock alike just how I like it. Keep up the good work!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no AresV in this pack, but Jupiter.
I think this mod is good for 2-2.5x rescale like many other mods (Tantares, Bluedog).

1 hour ago, buih@live.dk said:

How much DeltaV does the Ares 5 have when fully assembled? it looks like it could fly to Jool and back.

Also, it looks awesome! Stock alike just how I like it. Keep up the good work!

There is no AresV in this pack, but Jupiter.
I think this mod is good for 2-2.5x rescale like many other mods (Tantares, Bluedog).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.