[1.8.x] reDIRECT | Stockalike Orion, SLS, & Shuttle-Derived Launchers | (Fixes!) | v0.10.1

benjee10

• 1 month later...

Apologies for the delay guys, as always real life has a nasty habit of getting in the way when you don't want it to! 

Published a (very) minor update today just to get everything up to speed with 1.6, and fix a couple of issues (mainly little typos in CFGs/part names). I've also bundled craft files for Orion, Ares I, Jupiter 130 and Jupiter 240, as that had been requested a few times. 

It's up on both SpaceDock and GitHub. Hope you all enjoy! 

2 hours ago, krone12 said:

Where is Ares V? :(

Because Ares V has originally nothing to do with MarsDIRECT/reDIRECT. MarsDIRECT wanted to launch with the (at that time in the 90s) proposed Jupiter launcher, which was never build. Ares V came later in history (after 2004 --> Start of the Constellation Program) and was 2009 displaced itself by SLS.

So this mod includes only parts for Jupiter launcher.

6 hours ago, krone12 said:

3 hours ago, Cheesecake said:

Because Ares V has originally nothing to do with MarsDIRECT/reDIRECT. MarsDIRECT wanted to launch with the (at that time in the 90s) proposed Jupiter launcher, which was never build. Ares V came later in history (after 2004 --> Start of the Constellation Program) and was 2009 displaced itself by SLS.

So this mod includes only parts for Jupiter launcher.

Benjee made Ares 1 parts and I think Ares V was on the roadmap.

6 hours ago, krone12 said:

I'll be doing 5 & 6 engine thrust plates based on Ares V and the RS-68B engine, but I don't plan on making a larger diameter core for Ares V. Too much work and texture space usage for basically just a slightly wider orange tank. So you'll be able to make a kind of facsimile of Ares V, but not a perfect replica. 

Some new stuff up on GitHub:

- Added SLS ICPS part. 
	- Added Orion Fairing Base.
	- Added short 5m orange tank to lengthen SLS. 
	- Added RL-10B (fixed nozzle)
	- Modified RL-10B-2 (expanded nozzle) model/texture. 

Graphics are WIP,  no normal maps or specular yet. The RL-10 series of engines will need a complete revamp at some point down the line but I've made some small tweaks just to enable testing of the ICPS. 

624MA6t.png

RvBQUl6.png

HljKqUX.png

So we finally have a proper fairing base for Orion which lines up properly with the avionics ring diameter! It's an integrated decoupler/fairing. By default the fairing fires simultaneously with the decoupler, but you can use advanced tweakables to disable staging the decoupler and manually decouple later (enabling the shots above). Will be updating the craft file for Ares I with the next major release. 

This means that you can now build a fully functional SLS Block 1!

Edited by benjee10

There's now a complete rebalance up on GitHub, with all LH2/OX tanks, engines, & SRBs completely overhauled. This will require a rebuild of existing craft files if you have them, and bundled craft files have not yet been updated. Performance should now be more in line with what you'd expect for these vessels. I do need to rebalance SRB thrust curves to match the new masses/thrusts/burn times etc. 

I'll be folding these changes into the next major public release (which will be 1.0) once the artwork for the new parts is finished and polished to a high standard (including normal maps & spec). 

If anyone wants to provide feedback on the new balance then it'd be greatly appreciated! :) Enjoy!

Near-term roadmap:

0.9.6c - CURRENT RELEASE
	- Rebalanced all fuel tanks, engines & SRBs.
0.9.6d
	- Continue to polish rebalance values
	- Rebalance SRB thrust curves
	- Fix bug where ICPS does not show up in stock delta-V calculations
	- Finish art for SLS short tank, ICPS, and Orion Spacecraft Adapter
	- Revamp RL-10B engines and SLS Launch Vehicle Stage Adapter
	- Additional parts to round out 3.125m part set
	- New model & texture for 5m fairing base
	- 5m avionics ring
	- Additional texture variants for various parts
	- Custom textures for stock procedural fairings
	- Additional adapters/thrust plates for 3.125m and 5m parts
	- CFG polish (tags, descriptions, manufacturers consistent & clear) 
	- Exploration Upper Stage
1.0.0 - PUBLIC (SpaceDock) RELEASE
	- Finalise balance polish (with optional patches for various rescales/user preferences if necessary) 
	- Add custom 0.9375m APAS port for Orion (will be bundled under Benjee10SharedAssets for use in... future projects)
1.X.X
	- SLS advanced SRBs
	- Pyrios boosters
	- Probably some more fun stuff IDK

Edited by benjee10
Added roadmap

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Barzon Kerman said:

How do you have ReStock?!?!

ReStock isn't released yet and is still buggy. Give @Nertea and team time to finish their work.

Also @Drakenex, Nertea is spending a huge number of hours creating all those parts for free. Let's give him the chance to finish development and show things off before others start releasing images. I'm really excited too, but better to be patient  :)

Edited by Tyko

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.