[1.8.x] reDIRECT | Stockalike Orion, SLS, & Shuttle-Derived Launchers | (Fixes!) | v0.10.1

benjee10

Hi all,

If you haven't seen my latest update in the HabTech2 thread, you should give it a read as it explains my intentions going forward. TLDR: I'm planning on soft-retiring from KSP modding for a lot of reasons, but before I do that I want to bring everything up to scratch over the next couple of months.

What that means for reDIRECT:

- General polish of art assets & cfgs
- Addition of emissives and a few other bits and pieces for engines
- Addition of some long-needed texture variants
- ICPS/DCSS 2.5m variant
- SLS exploration upper stage
- Orion IVA

That is all I have planned. The next update will be the last for this mod. Unfortunately this means RS-68/Delta IV stuff will fall my the wayside. I simply don't have the time or energy to embark on a project like that. 

Hope you all understand. 

1 hour ago, benjee10 said:

Unfortunately this means RS-68/Delta IV stuff will fall my the wayside.

Dang. Looks like @CobaltWolf will have to do Delta IV after all. :) 

Jokes aside, could we get the textures converted to DDS in the last release, as a part of general polish? That would really help loading times (useful if loaded alongside BDB). Also, if you want some help with IVAs, you can send me a PM. I have a lot of experience working with @Nertea's props. 

Another thing I wanted to ask is if it would be possible to include 1, 1.5 and 2.5 segment RSRM variants, and a skirt variant for inline mounting, if it's not too much trouble (if the skirt variant is too much trouble/wouldn't fit on the texture sheet, just the 1.5 and 2.5 segment variants would suffice). There are several rocket proposals that could be made by combining those with BDB parts. 

5 hours ago, kerbalx75 said:

@CobaltWolf should make some other usa stuff like ula spacex and other usa stuff and also add esa stuff in stockalike visual and also add X-33, 37, and 15

(not disagreeing with the idea)

Just checking, but you are aware that cobaltwolf has like his own forum threads?

18 hours ago, kerbalx75 said:

@CobaltWolf should make some other usa stuff like ula spacex and other usa stuff and also add esa stuff in stockalike visual and also add X-33, 37, and 15

There are mods with some of those, such as:

Damonvv's Tundra Exploration, which has SpaceX parts:

Benjee10's Mk-X mod being continued by LGG, with X-37 parts:

and DylanSemrau's WIP Blue Origin mod:

Spoiler

(IIRC, he also plans to eventually make Vulcan ;))

OmegA can be recreated well, if not perfectly, with Cobalt's various SRBs in BDB, which can be found in his signature.

There is also some ESA stuff in Well's Knes, such as an Ariane 5, Hermes mini shuttle, and Vega, alongside historical French rocketry parts:

Edited by Barzon Kerman

On 9/11/2019 at 1:41 PM, Barzon Kerman said:

There are mods with some of those, such as:

Damonvv's Tundra Exploration, which has SpaceX parts:

Benjee10's Mk-X mod being continued by LGG, with X-37 parts:

and DylanSemrau's WIP Blue Origin mod:

Reveal hidden contents

(IIRC, he also plans to eventually make Vulcan ;))

OmegA can be recreated well, if not perfectly, with Cobalt's various SRBs in BDB, which can be found in his signature.

There is also some ESA stuff in Well's Knes, such as an Ariane 5, Hermes mini shuttle, and Vega, alongside historical French rocketry parts:

well thanks for the incredible mods listed

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2019 at 12:20 AM, rogerwang86 said:

Is possible changing stock RS-25 engine to ReStok's version?

I asked this over in the SOCK thread, I don't remember the response I recieved but what I did find out by chance earlier today was that Nertea's cryogenic engines mod includes a patch that makes the Restock Vector (and several other stock engines) burn LH2/OX.

• 4 weeks later...

Is it possible to change the tanks and engines to store/use liquid fuel and oxidizer instead of oxygen and hydrogen? I'm trying to keep my game as stock alike as possible and adding the new elements from the community resource pack just seems to complicate things. It would also make sense to add since the shuttle orbiter mod uses liquid fuel and oxidizer. Apologies if this question has already been answered.

Edited by Elro2k

6 hours ago, Elro2k said:

Is it possible to change the tanks and engines to store/use liquid fuel and oxidizer instead of oxygen and hydrogen? I'm trying to keep my game as stock alike as possible and adding the new elements from the community resource pack just seems to complicate things. It would also make sense to add since the shuttle orbiter mod uses liquid fuel and oxidizer. Apologies if this question has already been answered.

With Shuttle Orbiter Mod do you mean Benjees Shuttle Orbiter Construction Kit? It uses oxygen and hydrogen.
You can change to LFO ingame with B9 Part Switch.

9 hours ago, Cheesecake said:

With Shuttle Orbiter Mod do you mean Benjees Shuttle Orbiter Construction Kit? It uses oxygen and hydrogen.
You can change to LFO ingame with B9 Part Switch.

Sorry I should have specified. Yes I am using SOCK for the shuttle parts. However I can't seem to find any way to change the fuel types. There are options to change the colors of the tanks (Which is a feature of b9) but I cant find any option to change the fuel types. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place?

Edited by Elro2k

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/2/2019 at 5:56 PM, Elro2k said:

Sorry I should have specified. Yes I am using SOCK for the shuttle parts. However I can't seem to find any way to change the fuel types. There are options to change the colors of the tanks (Which is a feature of b9) but I cant find any option to change the fuel types. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place?

Hi,

reDIRECT and the Shuttle are balanced around using LH2 - if you use LFO instead (which is much denser) you will either end up with a craft that’s much too heavy to liftoff or has way too much delta-V than necessary. Already the balance with LH2 is much too high for a stock scale system. With LFO tanks you could probably get a shuttle out to Duna or something crazy.

Given the purpose of these mods is to recreate real spacecraft with a slightly more realistic edge than is common in KSP I’m not really interested in supporting something which messes with the balance so much. I’m sure it’d be pretty easy to add a custom patch to switch the fuel types but I’d really recommend playing with LH2. It really won’t affect the rest of your gameplay much at all.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Minor update on SpaceDock and GitHub, just fixing a few normal issues that had arisen with 1.8+ and re-orienting the SRB nosecones so that mirror symmetry now works correctly. Craft files have been removed until they can be rebuilt as the reorientation will affect existing craft. 

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.