[1.8.x] reDIRECT | Stockalike Orion, SLS, & Shuttle-Derived Launchers | (Fixes!) | v0.10.1

benjee10

So I am thinking about the future of this mod and want to sound out my ideas. There is a lot I want to revamp (eventually) and as part of that I want to modularise reDIRECT a bit more so it is less of an amorphous blob of (huge) textures. This will give users more control over what they want or need and also make the actual contents of each mod a little clearer. So I intend to split off the various different bits of reDIRECT into a few different, smaller mods:

- reDIRECT. Just the shuttle tanks & DIRECT Jupiter proposals. 
- Orion. Revamped Orion spacecraft.
- SLS. Dedicated SLS core stage/ICPS/EUS parts.

- (maybe) Ares. Ares I 3.125m tankage etc. Maybe Ares V too. 

For reDIRECT itself, various parts will get a revamp. Probably not the huge orange tanks unless I am feeling particularly masochistic, but certainly the Jupiter linear engine mount, the decouplers, Jupiter upper stage and fairings (probably migrating to SAF). 
I’d be interested to know what people’s thoughts are on this, and anything they’d particularly like to see. This is fairly long term stuff, so don’t expect anything soon, but it’s good to have these things in the pipeline at least.

48 minutes ago, benjee10 said:

So I am thinking about the future of this mod and want to sound out my ideas. There is a lot I want to revamp (eventually) and as part of that I want to modularise reDIRECT a bit more so it is less of an amorphous blob of (huge) textures. This will give users more control over what they want or need and also make the actual contents of each mod a little clearer. So I intend to split off the various different bits of reDIRECT into a few different, smaller mods:

For reDIRECT itself, various parts will get a revamp. Probably not the huge orange tanks unless I am feeling particularly masochistic, but certainly the Jupiter linear engine mount, the decouplers, Jupiter upper stage and fairings (probably migrating to SAF). 
I’d be interested to know what people’s thoughts are on this, and anything they’d particularly like to see. This is fairly long term stuff, so don’t expect anything soon, but it’s good to have these things in the pipeline at least.

Why not collab with @rogerwang86?

On 3/16/2021 at 4:24 AM, Cheesecake said:

I second this. @rogerwang86has some cool stuff in addition to reDirect (Orion revamp, Ares V, SLS-interstage and upper stage...).

Yeah, you guys are all right!:happy:

Edited by SpaceX_Boi
Had to delete some cringe :P

On 3/16/2021 at 12:04 AM, benjee10 said:

Considering Kertemis exists, which essentially covers both Orion IVAs + Block 1B/2, I think you should focus on Ares + any part revamps you wish to do that aren't covered by Kertemis.

I would ask the author of Kertemis if he'd be willing to just have your mods merged when you start to follow the new 3-download format, as he has already done some impressive things with the Orion capsule.

Edited by Vovical

3 hours ago, Vovical said:

Considering Kertemis exists, which essentially covers both Orion IVAs + Block 1B, I think you should focus on Ares + any part revamps you wish to do that aren't covered by Kertemis.

I would ask the author of Kertemis if he'd be willing to just have your mods merged when you start to follow the new 3-download format, as he has already done some impressive things with the Orion capsule.

Ares IV is already in the making by @rogerwang86too. ;)

On 3/15/2021 at 8:04 PM, benjee10 said:

I don't visit here much,  Spend too much time early in the tech tree and never fully unlock these parts.....   And by the time they are unlocked I am already running BDB Saturns and what not.    However.   If you are looking for ideas, approval or what not.    Let me start saying.  It is YOUR MOD Benjee10.   YOU are the one who has to put work into it.

Also you are the artist so I won't tell you how to paint by numbers :D

On the subject of collaboration that several people brought up above.     Collaboration sounds nice to the outside observer.   Collaboration SOMETIMES works amazing.   But most of the time Collaboration leads down the path of broken projects that take too long and lots of hurt feelings over it.   Because in short, A lot of time is wasted "structuring" the collaboration and not enough time is spent doing.    I speak from real world history in terms of corporations... and Real world I was once a published modder myself and my collaboration not only broke me from ever publicly releasing mods but it actually broke the GAME my mods were developed for.  (and yes I accept at least 33% of the blame for that!)        I limit myself to providing help and feedback to other mod creators now here and on other games I play.   That being said.   Benjee10, your art has your unique style to it.   I doubt you would be comfortable collaborating with someone else who does not have the exact same asectics view of things or skills.   I do not know rogerwang86's work, or that of any other modder currently building the parts that you cover or intend to, and my lack of knowledge on this subject makes it plain I am not talking about any of them.    I just get the feeling from what I have read in your posts over the years that this is a labor of love for you and not just an "unpaid job."   Labor of Love implying  you want primary and full control and others trying to change things is bad juju.  

You may have already done this.   But leverage those modders who revamp their mods nearly continuously in KSP.   The ones who, like you, that seem to not settle on "good" and keep striving for "better."   Their opinions may be the better starting point than publicly asking for feedback on this because, in my experience, Generic Player X just wants new content... not necessarily BETTER content.

Personally I would not be opposed to you combining HABTech2, SOCKs and reDirect into one mod.    It would make it easier for me to download and you to maintain I would think.

I would think that it is possible to sub-divide things plainly well enough, make unique things prune-able, but at the same time the parts used across multiple parts of the mod could be in a DELETE TO BREAK YOUR GAME folder and still meet your goals whilst reducing the number of mods you maintain to 1.  

But again,  I am not the artist responsible for this work :D

I hope this feedback and my experience help you come to any decisions you might make.  

On 3/15/2021 at 5:04 PM, benjee10 said:

What about the Lunar Lander I was talking about?

On 3/15/2021 at 9:04 PM, benjee10 said:

I say go for it, the SLS needs a dedicated core stage, badly! May be a 4 part one: LH2 tank (with a proper connection to the engine section), and inter-tank with SRB attach points,  a LOX tank and the forward skirt with avionics and batteries. Also nice to see your take on the EUS and may be finally a proper RL10C-3.

2 hours ago, The Everyday Kerbonaut said:

Does this work with 1.11.0?

If it works, but I don't know if it waterfalls with this mod, the SRBs are going to have to be replaced with the Photon corp ones, the RS25 can be replaced with the restock + cryo engines, BUT, the J2X cannot be replaced with any another mod you know and don't support stock inventory 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.