[1.8.x] reDIRECT | Stockalike Orion, SLS, & Shuttle-Derived Launchers | (Fixes!) | v0.10.1

benjee10

11 hours ago, Kriegio said:

How do I attach the spacecraft adapter to orion? The viking engine won't attach.

There are two nodes on the bottom of the service module, one for the engine and one for the spacecraft adapter. 

EDIT: Just realised we're in the reDIRECT thread and not ACK - if you're using the Orion from reDIRECT I would recommend switching to Artemis Construction Kit

Edited by benjee10

6 hours ago, benjee10 said:

There are two nodes on the bottom of the service module, one for the engine and one for the spacecraft adapter. 

EDIT: Just realised we're in the reDIRECT thread and not ACK - if you're using the Orion from reDIRECT I would recommend switching to Artemis Construction Kit

Alright thanks.

@benjee10 I've been away from KSP for a long time.  I guess you're not a new kid on the block now, lol, but your work is all new to me.  Your stuff looks amazing!

I was just looking at SOCK.  Are the tanks/engines for the Space Shuttle in ACK as well, or should I use the parts from this one for KSP 1.12.4?

33 minutes ago, Kurld said:

@benjee10 I've been away from KSP for a long time.  I guess you're not a new kid on the block now, lol, but your work is all new to me.  Your stuff looks amazing!

I was just looking at SOCK.  Are the tanks/engines for the Space Shuttle in ACK as well, or should I use the parts from this one for KSP 1.12.4?

ACK does not have the external tank or correct srbs for the STS (full shuttle stack). reDIRECT works fine in the newest version of KSP (well, 1.12.4 anyway. 1.12.5 just came out today but I wouldn't think it would make any difference since it has very very minor changes).

If you want to use the Orion parts at all, I'd recommend using the ones in ACK over the ones included in this (reDIRECT). Both reDIRECT and ACK can be installed/used simultaneously.

Edited by XD229

Hello! I am new to this mod (just two days ago) and I need help. For the life of me I can not figure out how the SRBs attach to the ET at the upper end. I have the lower ET-SRB radial decoupler in place, but there doesn't seem to be an upper decoupler. Also, does this mod have a separation motor for the lower SRB skirt or do we have to use one from another mod?

Thanks.

Excellent work @benjee10! Everything looks great so far!

1 hour ago, DaveyJ576 said:

Hello! I am new to this mod (just two days ago) and I need help. For the life of me I can not figure out how the SRBs attach to the ET at the upper end. I have the lower ET-SRB radial decoupler in place, but there doesn't seem to be an upper decoupler.

You should be able to add that from the PAW of the lower decoupler, same as the ET decoupler has the option for the upper struts from the orbiter to the ET.

18 minutes ago, XD229 said:

You should be able to add that from the PAW of the lower decoupler, same as the ET decoupler has the option for the upper struts from the orbiter to the ET.

Tried that. Not there. I must be missing something.

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, RayneCloud said:

Is this working in 1.12.x+? 

The short answer is yes, all these parts work in 1.12.x. Additionally, there have been some new mod releases lately that might change your mind about using reDirect, depending on which parts you're after. For example, the shuttle ET/decoupler is available in the new ORANGES mod. The SRBs for the shuttle can be replaced by Photon Corp (Benjee's recommendation, see a few posts back), or even ACK. The Orion capsule exists in ACK now, as well as the rest of the SLS. I believe the recommendation might also be to use RMM for the engines.

Personally, I use SOCK+ACK+ORANGES+ Rainstorm from reDirect for the shuttle.  I've pared down my reDirect install to only contain the Rainstorm engine. For SLS I use the SSME that comes with ACK. Hope that gives you some ideas. 

1 hour ago, OrbitalManeuvers said:

The short answer is yes, all these parts work in 1.12.x. Additionally, there have been some new mod releases lately that might change your mind about using reDirect, depending on which parts you're after. For example, the shuttle ET/decoupler is available in the new ORANGES mod. The SRBs for the shuttle can be replaced by Photon Corp (Benjee's recommendation, see a few posts back), or even ACK. The Orion capsule exists in ACK now, as well as the rest of the SLS. I believe the recommendation might also be to use RMM for the engines.

Personally, I use SOCK+ACK+ORANGES+ Rainstorm from reDirect for the shuttle.  I've pared down my reDirect install to only contain the Rainstorm engine. For SLS I use the SSME that comes with ACK. Hope that gives you some ideas. 

Ah, thank you for the suggestions. I will take a look! :)

On 2/21/2023 at 9:07 AM, OrbitalManeuvers said:

Personally, I use SOCK+ACK+ORANGES+ Rainstorm from reDirect for the shuttle.  

Rationale for this combo?

I use the big orange tank from reDirect and the boosters from Photon Corp.  The SSMEs are from RMM, but I had to get into the config and scale them down to make them look correct.  I can't remember why I decided to use these and not the Rainstorm from reDirect.  Maybe the FX looked better or something subjective.

The ORANGES stuff looks really nice but I thought I'd give it a minute to breathe before trying it out.

4 minutes ago, Kurld said:

Rationale for this combo?

I use the big orange tank from reDirect and the boosters from Photon Corp.  The SSMEs are from RMM, but I had to get into the config and scale them down to make them look correct.  I can't remember why I decided to use these and not the Rainstorm from reDirect.  Maybe the FX looked better or something subjective.

The ORANGES stuff looks really nice but I thought I'd give it a minute to breathe before trying it out.

ORANGES is still WIP but I'd really recommend it. The art is great, much more in line with SOCK itself and the ACK parts, while the reDIRECT art is quite outdated now. 

As for the RMM SSMES, they got adjusted recently to be scaled better relative to SOCK. I need to adjust the node placement on SOCK to get them to fit properly (they clip a little unless you offset them) and update the engines bundled with ACK.

Yeah the RMM SSMES seemed pretty weak when I switched to 2.5x scale.  I think I tweaked the thrust in them a bit myself aside from scaling them down. I fool around with stuff so much I can't remember what all I've done, lol. 

8 hours ago, benjee10 said:

ORANGES is still WIP but I'd really recommend it. The art is great, much more in line with SOCK itself and the ACK parts, while the reDIRECT art is quite outdated now. 

As for the RMM SSMES, they got adjusted recently to be scaled better relative to SOCK. I need to adjust the node placement on SOCK to get them to fit properly (they clip a little unless you offset them) and update the engines bundled with ACK.

Probably would make sense to move the Rainstorm to SOCK? Then SOCK with Oranges and Photon would be independent from reDirect.

2 hours ago, Entr8899 said:

Does it have its' own thread yet?

1 hour ago, benjee10 said:

The idea would be to use the RMM engines with that setup.

Hmm... personally I would prefer to have a matching engine in the SOCK setup. Just to have the option not to have another mod just for one engine and keep dependencies low (especially as modders will now focus on KSP2).

14 minutes ago, chris-kerbal said:

Hmm... personally I would prefer to . . . not to have another mod just for one engine and keep dependencies low. . .

Just install every mod on earth and then you're covered :sticktongue:

Seriously though, I feel this.

One thing I'd love in KSP2 is some kind of in-game "warehouse" where you can go and get, for example, that one engine or the little greebley doo-dad you want from a part-pack and it will let you download and that one part and anything it absolutely depends on.  And then you can use it without having to restart your game.

For a game built around a modding community (everybody knows it's not the other way around, right?)  this should be a first-class feature.

</soapbox> </thread derailment>

So as to atone, here is some gratuitous post-mission spam from STS-92:

Spoiler

The engineers at the Orbiter Processing Facility had a job getting ready for this and they did it: 

GzLqqED.png

Arrival and docking went off smoothly

21eJYmR.png

I somehow managed to not get any action shots of the arm deploying everything.  STS 97 is probably going off today or tomorrow so I'll try harder.  Here's McArthur Kerman deploying the SGANT.

cYC8y4A.png

Four sessions with the arm and two EVAs later, the Kerbals get busy unloading the Progress M1-3 and preparing the station for Expedition 1.
zVUslU3.png

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.