So what's the next DLC going to be about?

So this pretty much rules out Jool trips. 

-----------------:/-----------------------

@ZooNamedGames had a pretty good idea:

This would make a nice DLC to add gameplay depth to the current game, without leaving non DLC players behind part wise. 

Maybe add Station science projects, and rover projects.    All with different views, minigames almost, but with tangible in game rewards (science, funds, etc). 

Edited by Gargamel

There wasn't much for the SSTO and planes community in this DLC. I think they should expand that part of the game. I am bad at names but maybe something like Flights of Fancy. Along with new plane parts for the Space Plane Hanger, they could add more landing strips around Kerbin, and maybe even ways to build landing strips.

Kerbal Kart, add some discreet rally race tracks for land driving as well as some arches and other rock formations for flying. Have a track or two on each body. Add some high performance wheels and engines. Let users make tracks, have official races as challenges.

On 3/13/2018 at 8:29 PM, Gargamel said:

As I said, any DLC will have to be some game mechanic or experience not available as a mod.

Then I have an idea: story mode.  

1 hour ago, Ty Tan Tu said:

There wasn't much for the SSTO and planes community in this DLC. I think they should expand that part of the game. I am bad at names but maybe something like Flights of Fancy. Along with new plane parts for the Space Plane Hanger, they could add more landing strips around Kerbin, and maybe even ways to build landing strips.

They should definitely expand that part of the game. Currently planes feel useless and just a small bit of fun on the side. In the game, most things you can do more efficiently and less cumbersome using rockets. Maybe what they need is to invent a new race of beings who live on Duna, as opposed to Kerbals. These Dunals or Dunations once discovered may be a bit hostile and send over their UFOs to Kerbin, which could be intercepted and fought with planes :P

3 hours ago, Waxing_Kibbous said:

Kerbal Kart, add some discreet rally race tracks for land driving as well as some arches and other rock formations for flying. Have a track or two on each body. Add some high performance wheels and engines. Let users make tracks, have official races as challenges.

Should be a complete new title. More than DLC. 

Still i'd buy either way.

More stuff to do when we actually get to other planets and moons.

And for stock: all around art pass. And clouds. All the clouds.

4 hours ago, Ty Tan Tu said:

More landing areas would be great. But planes got a lot of love back in the day, and it is Kerbal Space Program. Although electric propellers and thermal turbojets would be great, for planets/moons other than Kerbin and Laythe.

What about better water physics and the addition of watercraft? Boats, submarines, seaplanes, and more. Could also be used on Laythe...

Edited by Bill Phil

Second go at this... i like this story mode... like the mission maker where there are several 'stock' stories with different head canons.  Each may or may not include keeping easter eggs in the map.  

Also whilst more planets would be fine, the ability to have more stars would be better.  Mods are only working around this like with solar panels so something built into the game would be great.

Peace.

10 hours ago, 322997am said:

No, please stop with the DLC. I dont think that we want this game to turn into GTA or Civilization, where DLC's are the only form of new content.

I think there is a difference between normal DLC and this expansion. I am normally not a great fan of DLC as well, especially if it goes into the direction of adding minute amounts of content into a game. Prime example I know is Train Simulator.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/24010/Train_Simulator/?l=english

This is another niche of gaming, where you operate trains. Predecessor games used to have a vibrant modding community that provided loads of content for free. With the current iteration, pretty much every content turned commercial. You invest anywhere between 10 to 30 $ for a route to drive on with maybe one or two new locomotives. No new functionality is being added.

Or Mass Effect, where you invest a similar amount for a set of additional equipment and "suits" for your characters.

Now this expansion adds new gameplay features (which I like) along with new parts (that I personally don't need). So IMHO it really expands on the base game. If they continue follow this path, expanding on the base game, making it ever better, then I will continue to support it and gladly pay a bit of money (15 $ isn't that much IMHO for hours worth of entertainment) to support their ongoing efforts. Besides, what's the alternative? At some stage, the cashflow from game sales will dry up. At that point, T2 will either have them develop something else (KSP2?!?), which I feel as unlikely or simply shut the whole thing down.

TLDR: Mere content (part pack) DLCs - definite no; additions to game functionality - definite yes.

Hopefully the next DLC will be something that focuses on long distance travel among planets. Currently we have a bunch of engines that can be strapped to rockets and SSTOs in order to get them to orbit, and one (ONE!!!) engine suitable for long distances if you want to transport more than one Kerbal. I'd like to see huge nuclear engines for the big interplanetary ships, experimental drives, and more habitat and science parts (inflatable habitats and similar). I don't care for the argument that KSP should stick to just realistic gameplay, because currently everything past low Earth orbit is hugely unrealistic, so KSP in itself is pretty unrealistic unless you focus just on low Kerbin orbit and some historic missions to the nearest moon.

Also, and probably off-topic, but why can't Steam achievements be implemented? I no longer believe in the argument that achievements aren't suitable to what KSP is supposed to be, not when there are tons of milestones and several game modes and missions in the game. It's probably the game I know for which the achievements could be the most varied and interesting (e.g. Leave Kerbin's Atmosphere, Reach Orbit, Land on Duna, Have Ships Landed on Six Different Bodies At the Same Time, Escape Kerbol's Orbit, Return a Kerbal to the Surface of Kerbin Who Has Been to Eelo, Discover all the Easter Eggs in the Game...). 

I have no issue paying for something a mod already does, since you never know when a mod will break or be abandoned. 

I love KER and KAC, but I would love a more streamlined stock take that fits the UI better. That said I don’t think a Delta V readout should be a feature that should need to be paid for on top of the base game. It should have always been in stock  

A DLC that focused revamping Career mode, or adding more things to do with planet exploration would be awesome and I would happily pay for it. 

The ONLY things id actually support for DLC as of this moment is functional multiplayer (which has yet to be done in a way that isnt buggy and just plain unusable as was the case with DMP and other attempts), OPTIMIZED visual mods (effects similar to scatterer, eve, planetshine, ect), and extra planet packs that do not rely on the buggy and laggy mess that is kopernicus (nothing against it, its a great mod, but i just dont like the fact that most of everything made with kopernicus comes with a huge performance cost). 

Everything else is either not up my alley (i really dont play any modes but sandbox since i like to impose my own objectives/limitations/missions and play em out on whatever way i want to), or can be obtained with mods which will have far better quality then anything stock KSP is capable of putting out (just look at Ven's part revamp, Near future or B9 aerospace pack, nothing the stock devs have done has ever done comes close to that level of visual and technical quality).  Parts are generally out of the question (parts are fine and all, but almost every part in making history has a counterpart in some mod, from Russian part replicas to 5m tanks, ect).  And well the only other thing i can think of that id even consider is weapon mods, but i doubt anything will ever make BDA obsolete (its performance and features are really good if you are into that sorta thing), not to mention the fact that i highly doubt the KSP devs would make a weapons mod when weapons were always in mod exclusive no-go territory.

On 3/14/2018 at 6:56 AM, klgraham1013 said:

Having Kerbals die doesn't lead to learning to live with mistakes?  

Ugh. No, it will lead to me becoming even more irritated with a game which I play for fun. Games are NOT supposed to be stressful! :mad:

21 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Ugh. No, it will lead to me becoming even more irritated with a game which I play for fun. Games are NOT supposed to be stressful! :mad:

Not everyone plays games for the same reasons.  Dark Souls can be quiet stressful.  Those games have become quiet popular.  Games do not have such a limited definition.

5 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

Not everyone plays games for the same reasons.  Dark Souls can be quiet stressful.  Those games have become quiet popular.  Games do not have such a limited definition.

Then at least, if it does become stock, make it a toggle option in the settings menu. I feel bad enough when a houseplant dies...

4 hours ago, adsii1970 said:

Then at least, if it does become stock, make it a toggle option in the settings menu. I feel bad enough when a houseplant dies...

I believe the suggestion of it being a toggle is in every single thread on the subject.  It's like the whole clouds thing.  People always seem to forget there is such a thing as graphic settings.  Just as with communications, life support would most likely have a toggle.  Squad, if anything, has always been a company that puts a load of options into their game.

Edited by klgraham1013

Ideas for next DLC I would like.

Kerbal bonuses would stack, stock game or modded one.

ie. One engineer gives 5% bonus to drill, Ten egineers gives 50% bonus. I would like more reasons/benefits to send 20 Kerbals to a planet, instead of just one of eeach. Wouldn't need to even change it in game, just allow mods to make use of it.

Stock ability for mods to swap modules in game. A module swapper like the texture swapper. I know RoverDude does something like this for USI.

Expanded Solar system, adding in more stock planets.

The usual parts pack expansion.

Planets could now have caverns, caves, overhangs, or missing entire chunks you could fly through. 

Magnetic boots for my Kerbal space walk, or maybe just a tether to strap too with the physics. It would be nice to grab hold of most parts to hold onto and not just ladders, provided its possible to grab.

On 3/14/2018 at 4:57 PM, Kerbart said:

Human ingenuity will take care of that. You can launch multiple craft. Clash of Clans has build times of 10 days or more yet it is one of the most popular mobile games; nobody complains it's boring. Besides, why would a one day trip be boring? :)

Totally different type of game, so I don't think the comparison works.  The problem is that KSP is all about a few precisely timed moments.  It doesn't matter if you don't precisely time your presence for a building completion.  Turning up too late for a capture burn, on the other hand, is bad.  Turning up too late for an intercept maneuver, possibly worse.

Second, KSP is more about that one mission than CoC is about that one building.  Saying you have to go do something else while your building completes is completely expected in that type of game.  In KSP, that isn't the expectation.

Finally, yes, I've done other things while waiting for a ship to transfer to the Mun.  The problem is, the only thing that isn't mostly waiting for the right time to do something would be atmospheric flight or launching to orbit.  I'm not that interested in atmospheric flight, and launching non-stop just to have something to do would be intensely mind-numbing.

Not saying that that kind of game mechanic can't work, just saying that it's not remotely appropriate to KSP.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.