Dawn of space age mission bug

scotty

1 hour ago, ZootinZack said:

Ah I came here to check about that and now feel like a dumbass. Usually I never fickle with fuel capacity!

I say its pretty counter intuitive, i have never launched anything without less than full fuel load. 
Exception is ships who are tankers or intended to refuel in orbit.

I'm pretty sure that part of the mission briefing says something to the effect that there is a tight budget and it might not be possible to fully fuel the craft. 

Edited by Foxster

So I haven't played in years (reinstalled to try out the new expansion), I am having trouble controlling the craft in this mission basically getting no response to my directional control inputs, ship just goes straight up until it runs out of fuel and I can't find an sas module available to use - what am I doing wrong?

1 hour ago, Lord Cochrane said:

So I haven't played in years (reinstalled to try out the new expansion), I am having trouble controlling the craft in this mission basically getting no response to my directional control inputs, ship just goes straight up until it runs out of fuel and I can't find an sas module available to use - what am I doing wrong?

It is a bit hard to fly this one. No SAS. Need to attach maneuvering fins (winglets) to the SRB, and KNOW the orientation of the fins in response to your directional keys, before you take off. Look at the craft on the launchpad and test the controls :) I prolly ran this one 10 times before I landed on the island.   In the VAB it helps to also reduce the thrust of the SRB   to 30-40% ( in addition to reducing the fuel amount to just below max mass) so you can have more control, over a longer flight time.  I'm just using keyboard flight, it took a lot of careful tapping not to oversteer, and correct if it started heading the wrong way. Prepare for a bunch of restarts or reloads.

###

Separately, (addressing this to any Squad folks who may be reading) I broke mission flow somehow during later reloads or restarts. After I created the orbital satellite rocket (given all the Russian parts needed to put Sputnik in orbit, great fun) and arrived at the pad, I got both a mission failure banner and behind it, instructions to proceed with my launch, lol. I could fly the mission, but it didn't seem to complete, probably because mission logic thought it had failed already.

On 3/14/2018 at 6:30 PM, Foxster said:

I'm pretty sure that part of the mission briefing says something to the effect that there is a tight budget and it might not be possible to fully fuel the craft. 

Almost nobody pays any attention to that kind of thing any more.. as anyone who's watched play-throughs of word-heavy games on youtube can attest.

Attention to detail is not the strong suit of most modern gamers.

4 hours ago, JAFO said:

Almost nobody pays any attention to that kind of thing any more.. as anyone who's watched play-throughs of word-heavy games on youtube can attest.

Attention to detail is not the strong suit of most modern gamers.

Horse/water. 

There is a disconnect between the mechanics of the constraint, and the constraint as stated in the text.  It says that there may not be enough budget to fully fuel the vessel, but mechanically the constraint is expressed as a mass limit.  If there isn't budget to fully fuel the rocket, then don't allow the engine to be fully fueled in the first place.  Assuming that there isn't support for a mechnanical expression of the constraint rooted in vessel cost, just say in the scenario text that due to some whacky reason, the vessel has to be light - at least then, the mechanics and the text would be in sync.  And if it *is* possible in the mission builder to attach a vehicle-cost constraint, then it should have been used in the mission.

If there is one take-away I have, with the missions I've completed thus far, it is that none of them have what I'd regard as acceptably clear text in all instances.  Descriptive elements not being in sync with the mechanical expression of some constraint or requirement contributes to this issue.

Edited by magimix

Moving to Making History Discussion.

I played through the "Dawn of Space" mission myself, and really enjoyed it.  I like what they've done with deliberately limiting you to a very limited set of parts, in particular making attitude control a real challenge by providing no RCS or reaction wheels anywhere.  It forces the player to MacGyver it by improvising a design that handles the problem a different way (e.g. with fins and/or vernier engines), and then learn to fly in a way that works around the limitations of the workaround.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.