Reverting from Pad back to VAB?

I've been playing around with The Dawn of the Space Age mission and I came across something I'm not sure about. I moved to the launch pad and realized I had missed a detail in staging. I tried to revert back to the VAB but the mission wouldn't allow it. Am I not doing something right, or is that the way the missions work? That once you leave the VAB or hanger you are committed?

I was about to post about the same thing.  Don't see that option either.  The closest I can think of to do it is to quicksave at the END of the step immediately before, and then reload if there's a problem. 

Note that if you do have to restart the mission, you can at least load your previous designs in the VAB.  So that saves a little time, but does not avoid re-flying the previous steps.  

If there really is no revert to VAB feature, that seems unnecessarily difficult.  There's no reason (either gameplay or realism-wise) for you to have to go back to low-altitude sounding rockets if your Sputnik-clone fails to make to orbit. 

I figured out that you can at least unlock the VAB by editing the mission settings. The easy way be simply clicking the "Edit" button on a stock mission, clicking on the start node, open the difficulty settings on the far right, click mission tab, and checkmark VAB/SPH Open. As for unlocking the button for the ability to revert, I don't know if it's a setting we can change or it's been setup that way permanently in the "Mission" gamemode.

After editing, clicking the save button will save it under your "Community Missions" Tab in the mission play screen. Only thing I can think of is saving before you launch your crafts.

The code way, if you wish to just modify the stock mission files so you don't clutter up your "Community" Tab. I do recommend you to backup a copy of the game first or at least the missions folder.
Go to "GameData/SquadExpansion/MakingHistory/Missions/"
Simply edit the "persistent.mission" files.
Change "facilityOpenEditor = False"  to  "facilityOpenEditor = True" in all of them. I used notepad++ to do a bulk edit.

Edited by SpyShadow

An addendum to the bug, I've had it completely reset the mission steps when attempting to restart a flight. I was launching Jebnik, and realized I'd screwed up with a vaccum engine in atmosphere, and when I went back to the VAB to load my saved ship, it was giving me the mission instructions for lobbing a rocket at the island runway again.

21 hours ago, jztemple said:

I've been playing around with The Dawn of the Space Age mission and I came across something I'm not sure about. I moved to the launch pad and realized I had missed a detail in staging. I tried to revert back to the VAB but the mission wouldn't allow it. Am I not doing something right, or is that the way the missions work? That once you leave the VAB or hanger you are committed?

As said before you can restart the mission (in the pause menu) and that will take you again to the VAB. Your vessel will be there in your saved crafts. For the second launch you can use Revert Flight and you can go back to the last vessel built.

2 hours ago, nestor said:

As said before you can restart the mission (in the pause menu) and that will take you again to the VAB. Your vessel will be there in your saved crafts. For the second launch you can use Revert Flight and you can go back to the last vessel built.

But what if you want to rebuild the rocket for your second flight without reflying your first one?

16 hours ago, Mr Shifty said:

But what if you want to rebuild the rocket for your second flight without reflying your first one?

If you are on the second or third launch you can select Revert Flight and then Last Vessel Buid (SAP/SPH).

pause01.pngpause02.png

34 minutes ago, nestor said:

If you are on the second or third launch you can select Revert Flight and then Last Vessel Buid (SAP/SPH).

hmmm, I only have 'last vessel spawn' option available during both flight on the second rocket and on the launchpad

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.