[1.12.x] MissingHistory v1.9.3: Handy parts to complement Making History.

Snark

This is an amazing mod - thanks so much for your work!

If I can ask one (possibly moronic) question - your mod requires ModuleManager (v3.0.5 included) to work...if another mod includes a later version (v3.0.6 is the most recent), will I need both versions in my GameData folder? Or will just having the most recent one work?

Thanks again :)

1 hour ago, klesh said:

For the 1.875m parts, the "Grey and Orange" theme is mostly the drab green that OhioBob was talking about.  It also makes me wonder if that one grey band on the second tank shouldn't be orange, and the theme changed to "Green and Orange".

Huh?  What are you talking about?  That's not "drab green", that's dark gray.  And no, I don't have color blindness issues.

Nor is it just my eyeballs saying that-- I took a closeup screenshot of one of the tanks, put it into Photoshop, did a 5x5 sample of the color (to help average out local mottling), and yes, it's gray.  The sample I took was #32322E.  If anything, it tints slightly towards yellowish (by the numbers, anyway-- the saturation's so low that it's just plain gray, as far as I'm concerned.)

Anyway, regardless of the fact that I think it's gray, or that Squad thinks it's gray because they called it "Gray and Orange" ... yes, that's the color scheme we're aiming for with the reskin.  :)

50 minutes ago, Goody1981 said:

your mod requires ModuleManager (v3.0.5 included) to work

Also, just for the record:  the only reason this mod has 3.0.5 in it rather than 3.0.6 was that 3.0.5 was the most current at the time it was being put together.  I'll be updating it to 3.0.6 (or whatever's most current at the time) with the next update.

23 minutes ago, Snark said:

Huh?  What are you talking about?  That's not "drab green", that's dark gray.  And no, I don't have color blindness issues.

Its totally drab green, and nor do I have colorblind issues!  Your computer must be lying to you.  I'll be sure to refer to it as this so called "dark grey" in the future, as that's how the game refers to it.  (its definitely dark drab green!)

:wink:

2 hours ago, Snark said:

Um... what do you mean?  I only see three textures available for the 1.875m tanks.  "White", "Black and White", "Gray and Orange".  Am I missing something?

It's the gray and orange that I'm talking about.  To me that gray looks like a drab green, but maybe my eyes are just playing tricks on me.  I have, however, seen photos of the real life article that looks distinctly green...

voskhod-1_rollout.jpg

That is green, isn't it?  Looks way more green to me than it does gray.

Edited by OhioBob

2 minutes ago, OhioBob said:

That is green, isn't it?  Looks way more green to me than it does gray.

Oh, absolutely, no doubt that the real-world ship is green (though the color's so old in that picture that honestly it's hard to tell).  My confusion was that you appeared to be asking for one that was green "like the 1.875m tanks are", which are actually gray.  Certainly, the "gray" in the "gray/orange" texture in KSP is nothing even vaguely close to the color of the ship in the photo you just posted.

I could totally see someone wanting to do an actual green paint job on the tanks, but that would involve doing it to all of them, not just these four, which would mean a considerably bigger job (and probably a matter for a separate mod).

Anyway, I think we've got the confusion sorted out.  The paint job we're working on (where by "we" I mean @Jarin) :wink: is aimed at matching the "gray/orange" theme of the other 1.875m parts in Making History.

I still think the "gray" color scheme in the DLC looks green.  Don't know why but it just does.  For some reason my eyes tend to perceive gray as slightly green, at least when there are other colors in the image.  I don't have that problem when I'm looking at a strictly black and white image.

Edited by OhioBob

4 hours ago, Bottle Rocketeer 500 said:

Also, @Snark, maybe change the stock Mk1 command pod to @Porkjet's overhauled version, as that might fit in better with the MH Gemini parts.

I don't remember if it's Porkjet's or not, but somebody's Mk1 command pod has a critical flaw in it.  The bottom of the pod it too rounded.  When a heat shield is attached, the very bottom of the pod sticks through the shield and is left exposed and unprotected.  If that's Prokjet's Mk1, and I think it is, I don't recommend using it.

For proof of concept I have recolored...

uxtzZBz.png

Half a tank.

3vpOVPi.png

Yeah, I might have misjudged which part of the texture file covered what part of the model. But hey, it works!

There we go, much better.

KWXFYwQ.png

I'd like to put in a word for the old, original, ugly Terrier.  The fuel-containing Porkjet revamp overwriting the original non-fueled Terrier is mildly game-breaking.  More specifically I'd like to work on stock craft with it, and be able to share to kerbalx etc without fueling/defueling/guessing all the time.  I had the same problem with some implementations of the Porkjet revamp.  As for the proliferation of perhaps-unwanted icons clogging up the editor, I've got Janitor's Closet.

I'd be happy with setting a bit in a cfg if that's a cleaner way to make the original parts (parts?) visible.  Otherwise I'd got to uninstall and quit/restart for certain editing tasks, which is a pain

2 hours ago, fourfa said:

I'd like to put in a word for the old, original, ugly Terrier.  The fuel-containing Porkjet revamp overwriting the original non-fueled Terrier is mildly game-breaking.  More specifically I'd like to work on stock craft with it, and be able to share to kerbalx etc without fueling/defueling/guessing all the time.  I had the same problem with some implementations of the Porkjet revamp.  As for the proliferation of perhaps-unwanted icons clogging up the editor, I've got Janitor's Closet.

I'd be happy with setting a bit in a cfg if that's a cleaner way to make the original parts (parts?) visible.  Otherwise I'd got to uninstall and quit/restart for certain editing tasks, which is a pain

How about an optional module manager patch that simply removes the new fuel resource ?

Spoiler
// Remove extra fuel from Porkjet's new 909 engine.

@PART[liquidEngine3]:NEEDS[MissingHistory]:AFTER[MissingHistory]
{
     !RESOURCE[LiquidFuel] {}
     !RESOURCE[Oxidizer] {}
}

3 hours ago, fourfa said:

I'd like to work on stock craft with it, and be able to share to kerbalx etc without fueling/defueling/guessing all the time.

SETI adaptation by @Yemo, which is part of SETI-UbM, takes care of that issue for me:

https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/95645-13x-seti-unmanned-before-manned-patreon/

https://github.com/Y3mo/PartOverhaulsSETI

It does exactly that you need, keeping old parts and renaming overhauled parts, sometimes resizing them in the process.

liquidEngine909a is LV-909a, the Terrier with integrated fuel tanks - also 1.875m.

liquidEngine909_Boattail  is LV-909b, still 1.25m.

The only thing missing is 1.25m fuel tanks, since overhauled are sized 1.875, but TweakScale takes care of that.

Also Baby Pug and Baby Valiant (0.625m versions) are very useful, since there was no reason to use 1.25m versions, and sometimes the Spark is overkill

11 hours ago, Jarin said:

There we go, much better.

KWXFYwQ.png

Looks awesome, mang!

For the Variant label, I think you want:

name = Dark Grey
            displayName = #autoLOC_8007121
            themeName = GrayAndOrange
            primaryColor = #4c4f47
            secondaryColor = #f49841

Edited by klesh

Hi all,

I'm pleased to announce the release of MissingHistory v1.1.

The main attraction here:  the 1.25m tanks now have switchable textures, with a gray/orange variant kindly provided by @Jarin.  Feast your eyes on this:)

Size1Tanks.png

A big round of thanks to Jarin for making this twice as awesome.

Oh, I almost forgot... at no additional charge, a 1.25m engine plate, for all your small-craft needs:

EP12.png

...And updated to ModuleManager 3.0.6, hopefully it'll stay up to date for a little while now.

Anyway, enjoy! :)

Thanks for your work @Snark and @Jarin for the tank retexturses.

If you plan on looking at the stock 3.75m parts cam there be an orange tank variation too please with the stock black and white tidied up, and include the stock 2.5 to 3.75 adaptor texture?

Really happy this  mod exists as it is thPugh. 

Peace.

Nice work on all these parts... the 2.5m to 3.75m fueled adapter in particular fills an awkward gap that had been present for years.

What do you think about a squashed version of the Materials Bay for 1.875m stacks?

If you also made a 1.875m version of the Kickback, it would more credibly fill the role of late-game SRB than the current 1.25m version. Currently the 1.25m Kickback is relatively anemic considering it is nominally supposed to be the SRB from the STS and SLS stacks (which are 3.75m - 5m when scaled to KSP sizes).

Edited by PocketBrotector

just to clarify, if I want to use the original porkjet engines instead of your modified ones, I just overwrite your Porkjet parts folder with his mod, right?  I like what you've done with most of the mod, but I also liked having the different upgrades to choose from for those parts.

1. I wasn't sure if I wanted this mod a few days ago. Meh, downloaded it anyway.
2. Very soon most of my vessels carry missing history parts.
3. I was pretty happy with those parts as they was.
4. v1.1 appears... wow, I really want those new texture switch 1.25m tanks, download button again.
5.  Thank you so much!

11 hours ago, theJesuit said:

If you plan on looking at the stock 3.75m parts cam there be an orange tank variation too please with the stock black and white tidied up, and include the stock 2.5 to 3.75 adaptor texture?

Having prettied-up and switchable textures for the 3.75m parts would be nice, sure, though that sounds like a significantly bigger job than the 1.25m stuff (because, for licensing reasons, it would require creating entirely new textures from scratch, rather than having Porkjet's free textures to start from; the stock parts aren't licensed CC, as Porkjet's ones are).

11 hours ago, PocketBrotector said:

What do you think about a squashed version of the Materials Bay for 1.875m stacks?

Would love that, and actually wanted it myself, but unfortunately it looks like it's not technically possible due to limitations of the ModulePartVariants.  Technobabble for the curious in a spoiler section.

Spoiler

The simple and obviously correct way to do this is as a switchable-variant part:  that is, make the materials bay be switchable between its current shape and a shorter/fatter 1.875m version.  Perfect, right?  Except that it doesn't work with ModulePartVariants, because that module is implemented with a needless restriction that prevents it from working.

The way ModulePartVariants is set up, the config lists a set of variants.  Each variant can list a set of game objects (i.e. meshes), and specify whether they're turned on or turned off in that variant.

So, that seems simple, right?  Just put some config into it to include the base model twice:  once at its default size, then again with a scale factor applied and the connector nodes repositioned.  Easy-peasy, right?  So why won't this work?

The answer is so simple it's almost embarrassing:  Because they've implemented it based purely on nameWhen each variant needs to specify "for this variant, here's what's turned on and here's what's turned off", the only way it has of identifying the things-to-be-turned-on-or-off is by name.  "Turn on Foo, turn off Bar", you get the idea.  It works great... except that there's one little eensy-weensy assumption baked into that, which gets in the way: It assumes that names are unique.  Which, generally speaking, is not the case for a part model.

A part can easily contain multiple references to the same thing.  In fact, that's a good thing, and pretty important-- for example, in IndicatorLights, when I add 3 indicator lamps to the Mk1-3 pod for the 3 crew slots, that's three copies of the same mesh, which is as it should be-- not only does it save me the hassle of having to make multiple copies of the same thing that differ only in name, but it also is more memory-efficient because the game doesn't have to load separate duplicate copies of the thing.

But in a world where names are not unique... you really shouldn't rely on name alone to distinguish a thing.  For example, coming back to the materials bay:  if I had two copies of the same model (with different scale factors)... there's no way in config for me to tell it that for a particular variant, "turn on the tall skinny science_module_small and turn off the short fat science_module_small", because as far as it's concerned, "science_module_small" is all the name there is.  I can say "turn science_module_small on or off", but there's no way for me to say which one of them to turn on or off.

ModulePartVariants could easily fix this if it added an optional "index" property to the variant, and used name plus index to uniquely identify the thing.  But they don't.  So it can't.

Since ModulePartVariants can't (I think) do what I want, the only way for this to happen would be to do some workaround... but the only workarounds I can think of have issues with them.

• Idea #1:  Make a duplicate copy of the materials bay model with a different file name, and use that, so the two sizes have different names.  Problem:  Aside from wasting memory on a duplicate copy, it runs into licensing issues-- the materials bay is part of the stock game, it's not free, so I can't make my own copy of it to include in the mod.
  • Idea #2:  Completely re-model the part from scratch so that it is free, and then include two duplicate copies of that with two different names.  Problem:  Requires re-modeling the part from scratch, which, first, I don't have the talent, time, or energy to do, and second, I don't want to do anyway because I like the default skin.
  • Idea #3:  Don't make it a variant, just make it a completely separate part with a different name.  Problem:  I don't wanna.  It's just wrong.  It clutters up the parts list, which I loathe.  I don't mind making a separate part for a battery or a reaction wheel or what-not, because those are different parts with different stats (mass, etc.)... in this case, it's exactly all the same stats and just has a different appearance, which is what variants are for.  It's the same reason I don't want to include all the "boat tail" Porkjet engine variants as separate parts.  They should be variants or nothing.

So that's why.  Grrrr.

If there's someone out there who doesn't mind cluttering up the parts tab with an extra part, you can just do it with a snippet of ModuleManager config, like this:

+PART[science_module]
{
    @name = science_module_1p5
    @title = SC-9002 Science Jr. Mk2
    @description = A 1.875m version of the popular SC-9001.
    %scale = 1
    // replace the XXX with an appropriate positive number for Y location
    @node_stack_top = 0.0, XXX, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 2
    // replace the XXX with an appropriate negative number for Y location
    @node_stack_bottom = 0.0, XXX, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 2
    // replace the XXX with an appropriate positive number for Z location
    @node_attach = 0.0, 0.0, XXX, 1.0, 0.0, -90.0, 2
    -MODEL,* {}
    MODEL
    {
        model = Squad/Parts/Science/MaterialBay/science_module_small
        scale = 1.5, 0.6, 1.5
    }
}

^ stick that into a new .cfg file somewhere in GameData, do some trial-and-error that I don't have the patience to do right now to figure out where the nodes should go and replace the XXX's with appropriate numbers, and that should do the trick for you.  But I won't be doing that in my own game, so I prefer not to do that in MissingHistory itself.

If someone knows some way that I can accomplish this using ModulePartVariants, though, please let me know!  It's entirely possible that there's a simple way around this that I just haven't thought of or found out about.

11 hours ago, PocketBrotector said:

If you also made a 1.875m version of the Kickback, it would more credibly fill the role of late-game SRB than the current 1.25m version.

I thought of that... but that's the point at which I start going and considering just installing SpaceY.  It has a whole slew of beautifully modeled SRBs in a variety of sizes and lengths, from 0.625m up to 3.75m.

I added the "fat Thumper" just because there wasn't any 1.875m SRB at all, and this provides a simple option for folks who want a different form factor of SRB without going to the trouble of installing a whole new mod for it.

I agree that KSP could use a richer ecosystem of SRB parts, but I think that the right way to do that is to actually model the parts rather than try to eke out extras by rescaling the few that we have here.  So my vote on that one is "go install SpaceY"-- it's awesome, NecroBones is a fantastic modeler and game designer.

9 hours ago, Capt. Hunt said:

just to clarify, if I want to use the original porkjet engines instead of your modified ones, I just overwrite your Porkjet parts folder with his mod, right?  I like what you've done with most of the mod, but I also liked having the different upgrades to choose from for those parts.

Well, not quite.  His original config models the engines as entirely separate parts, whereas what I'm doing is to modify the original parts with a different mesh.  What I did was to do a careful surgery that blended aspects of both the stock config and the Porkjet config to splice in his models.

If you want the upgrade options, what you'd need to do is to take his original config, find just the bits involving upgrades, then go into my config with a text editor and do brain surgery on it to splice the upgrade stuff in there "just so" to make it work.  You'd also need to add various ModuleManager config to override values that I don't touch at all (like the stock engines' Isp, thrust, etc.), because Porkjet's config modifies that and mine doesn't, and his upgrades are designed with the assumption that the base engine has different properties.

In short:  No, you can't just "delete A, copy B in its place".  You'd basically be re-implementing that part of the mod from scratch, and doing all the same kinds of things that I needed to do to produce MissingHistory in the first place, except do it differently than I did.

To summarize the summary:  It's hard.  Sorry.

...Oh, hey, look there!  MissingHistory just made the "Featured Mods" list on SpaceDock!
https://spacedock.info/kerbal-space-program
...First time any of my mods has ever done that.  Thanks, @VITAS:D

first things first

THANK @Snark+Jarin for keeping this mod alive and make it better(great texture work:wink:)

now please say , iam not the only one who has NO

emmensiv.glowing nozzles from porkjets overhault engines.but i can see the texture in the folder

i tryed 100th times but still not working !

MAYBE U *L&D have a Solution

Thanks Kan

*L&D=Ladies+Gentlemans

I try it whit a fresh 1.4.1 /64b +modulemanager3.0.6 +missing hi..

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.