Dawn of the Space Age

As mentioned by others:

• Start Dawn of Space Age mission
  • Fail a flight (in the first flight, forget to stage parachute and booster separately, for instance)
  • "Revert to VAB" is greyed out
  • "Recover Vessel" leaves the game in an unplayable mode; the KSC has all buildings including the VAB locked.
  • If at this point you leave the game and then continue the mission, you end up in flight without a vessel, time is -1, and no interaction is possible.

In my game, the waypoints on the second leg of Dawn of Space Age mission are surface level, despite the completion check being correct, meaning that going to the map window and checking if the path intersects where the waypoint SHOULD be, it checks correctly after passing there.

EDIT: Also, the waypoint is shown at surface level on the navball, making it very difficult to aim the spacecraft correctly.

Edited by Crictimactu

Unlock the VAB by editing the mission settings. The easy way be simply clicking the "Edit" button on a stock mission, clicking on the start node, open the difficulty settings on the far right, click mission tab, and checkmark VAB/SPH Open. As for unlocking the button for the ability to revert, I don't know if it's a setting we can change or it's been setup that way permanently in the "Mission" gamemode.

After editing, clicking the save button will save it under your "Community Missions" Tab in the mission play screen. Only thing I can think of is saving before you launch your crafts.

The code way, if you wish to just modify the stock mission files so you don't clutter up your "Community" Tab. I do recommend you to backup a copy of the game first or at least the missions folder.
Go to "GameData/SquadExpansion/MakingHistory/Missions/"
Simply edit the "persistent.mission" files.
Change "facilityOpenEditor = False"  to  "facilityOpenEditor = True" in all of them. I used notepad++ to do a bulk edit.

13 hours ago, Kerbart said:

As mentioned by others:

• Start Dawn of Space Age mission
  • Fail a flight (in the first flight, forget to stage parachute and booster separately, for instance)
  • "Revert to VAB" is greyed out
  • "Recover Vessel" leaves the game in an unplayable mode; the KSC has all buildings including the VAB locked.
  • If at this point you leave the game and then continue the mission, you end up in flight without a vessel, time is -1, and no interaction is possible.

If you fail during the same launch you can restart the mission (in the pause menu) and that will take you again to the VAB. Your vessel will be there in your saved crafts. For the second launch you can use Revert Flight.

https://imgur.com/a/vV3IV
Gliding that ship over to the marker was not easy. I rotated the ship facing toward to the abandon airfield in the VAB before launch to make it easier for myself. Did a gravity turn at the 50*  / 180* mark on the nav ball. In a way, it was like gliding a bomb to it's target.

Side note, Due to no revert to VAB, "Remember to Save before going into the VAB to make a ship, besides saving before launch."

11 hours ago, nestor said:

For the second launch you can use Revert Flight.

Only that you cannot revert to VAB, which means any single mistake in rocket construction in any mission stages forces you to replay the hole mission.

Note: Even restarting the mission and loading the craft is much less convenient than what we are used to from a normal KSP gameplay. Instead of "One click and edit" in case of Reverting to VAB you have to confirm the initial mission tutorial, open the craft list, select the one you are interested in. Very annoying, taking away the experimental feeling of KSP.

1 hour ago, Suma said:

Only that you cannot revert to VAB, which means any single mistake in rocket construction in any mission stages forces you to replay the hole mission.

Note: Even restarting the mission and loading the craft is much less convenient than what we are used to from a normal KSP gameplay. Instead of "One click and edit" in case of Reverting to VAB you have to confirm the initial mission tutorial, open the craft list, select the one you are interested in. Very annoying, taking away the experimental feeling of KSP.

I agree. Everyone who plays the game will make mistakes. But that's the point of the game. To build upon your mistakes. Without that "Revert to VAB or SPH" option, it makes it un-playable. Only work around I figured out for now is simply saving before entering the VAB and editing the Start Node of the mission to have the VAB unlocked all the time.

At least I finally got to the ending of "Dawn of the Space Age" using these methods. Look up the "soyuz rocket engine" for building the rocket. Besides making the sputnik satellite. I am now trying to figure out how to get the rocket in orbit, problem is the launch location is near the pole of the planet. The target orbit is at the equator of the planet.

Without SAS on the sputnik probe, flying this stuff feels like your flying with a elephant pull you around. Thinking of just modifying the probe to have it to make it easier for myself.

EDIT: I don't know how this work, took a gamble at it. Had only a small amount of delta v left in the rocket, like 300, 3 tanks. Added a maneuver where the target orbit and the current orbit match up. 50 sec burn or so. Did the burn, empty the tank. Only a little bit to go, so launch the probe, got it into the orbit. Unfortunately the game is not detecting that I achieve the orbit, not that far off from it
EDIT: Guess I had to lower my orbit below 100,000 for the game to detect my ship. Also had enough fuel to de-orbit the satellite and have it burn up.

Edited by SpyShadow

15 hours ago, nestor said:

If you fail during the same launch you can restart the mission (in the pause menu) and that will take you again to the VAB. Your vessel will be there in your saved crafts. For the second launch you can use Revert Flight.

Hello @nestor,

Thank you for your feedback and support. This will help many in figuring out missions. The behavior the game is displaying is far from intuitive and I hope this is offered as a work-around and not “this is how it works,” especially since it easily leads the game into a state (spaceflight without craft) where the only way to exit is to kill the KSP application.

Reverting to the VAB should just as much be an option in flight #1 as in subsequent flight, in the ill advised case where that is not an option, “restart mission”should be pointed out as the only way forward at that point.

22 hours ago, SpyShadow said:

https://imgur.com/a/vV3IV
Gliding that ship over to the marker was not easy. I rotated the ship facing toward to the abandon airfield in the VAB before launch to make it easier for myself. Did a gravity turn at the 50*  / 180* mark on the nav ball. In a way, it was like gliding a bomb to it's target.

Side note, Due to no revert to VAB, "Remember to Save before going into the VAB to make a ship, besides saving before launch."

Awesome job!

The missions automatically save the craft when leaving the VAB, so there's no need to revert - you just restart the mission and reload the craft. That wasn't intuitive to me at first, I kept rebuilding my craft several times until I figured it out.

2 hours ago, Kerbart said:

Hello @nestor,

Thank you for your feedback and support. This will help many in figuring out missions. The behavior the game is displaying is far from intuitive and I hope this is offered as a work-around and not “this is how it works,” especially since it easily leads the game into a state (spaceflight without craft) where the only way to exit is to kill the KSP application.

Reverting to the VAB should just as much be an option in flight #1 as in subsequent flight, in the ill advised case where that is not an option, “restart mission”should be pointed out as the only way forward at that point.

We are taking the feedback and discussing alternatives, thanks for the feedback.

7 hours ago, Suma said:

For second and third launches you can select Revert Flight and then Last Vessel Build (VAB/SPH)

pause01.pngpause02.png

1 hour ago, nestor said:

For second and third launches you can select Revert Flight and then Last Vessel Build (VAB/SPH)

That would be much better, unfortunately my Reverting Flight window does not look like this. The option Last Vessel Build (VAB/SPH) is not present, the only two options are Last Vessel Spawn and Cancel. See screenshot below during flight of K-7b High Altitude Sounding Rocket.

dbbUl7H.png

A suggestion for folks to try:

When you finish one of the launches, hover over the clipboard toolbar button to open the mission summary thing, and then hover the next objective:

kx9D5Md.png

It says "Right Click to build this vessel". If I right click on that instead of recovering my vessel, I'm able to revert to VAB on subsequent launches (though the craft isn't automatically loaded). I think this might be how we're intended to advance the mission to the next stage.

NOTE: This will only permit you to revert to VAB before you formally fail a mission! If you wait till the "Failure" screen comes up after touchdown, it's game over. I recommend reverting as soon as you realize that success is unattainable.

Edited by HebaruSan

1 hour ago, HebaruSan said:

A suggestion for folks to try:

When you finish one of the launches, hover over the clipboard toolbar button to open the mission summary thing, and then hover the next objective:

kx9D5Md.png

It says "Right Click to build this vessel". If I right click on that instead of recovering my vessel, I'm able to revert to VAB on subsequent launches (though the craft isn't automatically loaded). I think this might be how we're intended to advance the mission to the next stage.

This is the way to do it for now if you want the revert option.. We are working on rectifying the situation when you recover vessels.
This is available in any mission whenever a Create vessel node activates. when one does activate, you get a screen message telling you you need to build the next vessel and to go to the missions app. The Missions App icon will flash the yellow attention icon for 5 seconds and remain with the attention icon after.

13 hours ago, panarchist said:

Awesome job!

The missions automatically save the craft when leaving the VAB, so there's no need to revert - you just restart the mission and reload the craft. That wasn't intuitive to me at first, I kept rebuilding my craft several times until I figured it out.

It is a good idea to save after each success, if you fail later on you will have to start over from the very beginning.

9 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

This is the way to do it for now if you want the revert option.. We are working on rectifying the situation when you recover vessels.
This is available in any mission whenever a Create vessel node activates. when one does activate, you get a screen message telling you you need to build the next vessel and to go to the missions app. The Missions App icon will flash the yellow attention icon for 5 seconds and remain with the attention icon after.

I confirm this works for me.

15 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

This is the way to do it for now if you want the revert option..

It works for me too and it's one hell of a hidden workaround :) . Thanks a lot @JPLRepo and @HebaruSan (had I read more carefully, it'd work for me yesterday too)

Are you able to share any plan for 1.4.2 with fixes for this (and other small issues)?

Edited by Raphaello

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.