Dawn of Space mission design - how to redesign rockets?

Suma

I found the Dawn of Space mission design strange. After some struggle I was able to complete the first launch. Even here I was missing the KSP workflow I am used to:

• build a rocket
  • see how it works: kaboom ....
  • return to VAB and adjust the rocket
  • see how it works now: kaboom

Repeat ad lib.

When building the first rocket to reach 5 km and splash in the ocean, it was inconvenient, but doable: Instead of returning to VAB I had to restart the mission. .

This gets a bit troublesome once I got to the next stage.

• Build a two stage rocket to reach 48 km
  • see how it works: it has too little aerofoil area, too little control, kaboom

.. and what now?

I cannot return to VAB, the only option I have is to refly the same rocket (revert mission to the last spawn), however the rocket design is bad, I need to change it. The only option I have found for this is to restart the whole mission.

Once I successfully overcame this and started building the satellite, it becomes really annoying and tedious:

• build a big two stage rocket to reach the orbit
  • see how it works: oops. No winglets, no control ... back to the table

Now going back to the table means restarting the whole mission and launching to 5k and 48k again? Sorry, this is not interesting.

Am I missing something? This seems to be so huge departure from the experimental and enjoyable KSP gameplay I am used to I find it hard to believe this is published as a first mission of the expansion.

Can the mission be adjusted somehow so that it lets me to return to VAB for each mission milestone?

Edited by Suma

It got even worse. Somehow the mission is now in a state then when I double click on it, I end in a space, like when controlling a craft, however there is no craft. Pressing ESC does nothing at all, the Space center button on the top of the screen above the altitude indicator is not present, the only thing responding is the KSPedia.

The Reset option in the mission launcher looks promising, however it is gray (disabled) for me.

I did not find any option to restart the mission when launching it, it always puts me straight into this dead state where I cannot do anything, not even leave the game, the only think I can do is to kill it from Windows.

Edited by Suma

After the first mission, you can exit to the space center and then enter the VAB. Your rocket design is saved, so you just load it up and relaunch. Yes, it should let you revert directly to the VAB, but you can workaround it for now without having to redo the whole mission.

33 minutes ago, Mr Shifty said:

After the first mission, you can exit to the space center and then enter the VAB. Your rocket design is saved, so you just load it up and relaunch. Yes, it should let you revert directly to the VAB, but you can workaround it for now without having to redo the whole mission.

I haven’t tried this for other missions, but it doesn’t work for the Dawn Of Space mission. Not for me, not for @Suma and what I gather fro the forum, not for a whole bunch of other users. And this is on an unmodded (aside from MH) game.

Still wondering if they actually playtested this mission before releasing the expansion. Because it’s pretty hard to not notice it.

3 hours ago, Mr Shifty said:

No, you cannot.  The VAB is Locked.

Still wondering if they actually playtested this mission before releasing the expansion. Because it’s pretty hard to not notic

I know... that's pretty messed up for literally the first mission....!  the first mission should be exceptionally well tested/abused/clean.

Edited by Ryder

This is as intended. If you are building/launching the initial vessels at the start of a mission. There is no revert in that situation. You simply restart the mission.
If you are building vessels further on in the mission. Say the second or third vessel in the first stock mission. The revert option should show you the ability to revert to the previous build session (vessel building) or previous launch (when it's not a player built vessel).

4 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

The revert option should show you the ability to revert to the previous build session (vessel building) or previous launch (when it's not a player built vessel).

It does not.

Only option is reverting to last vessel spawn, which is useless when the rocket isn't built properly (no gimballed engines in my case = I cant steer it)

Edited by grimper12341
fixing link

1 hour ago, grimper12341 said:

Only option is reverting to last vessel spawn, which is useless when the rocket isn't built properly (no gimballed engines in my case = I cant steer it)

I had this... exact... same problem and ended up restarting the mission.  Ugh.  They're not kidding on the tooltip for the Kodiak to not forget the verniers.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.