Woomerang launch site

StarStreak2109

4 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

What do you mean folder I downloaded it from steam. Also I'm terrible at computers so like in English :)

Ok first of all load up steam and find Kerbal. Right click on Kerbal and a list will come up, find properties and click it. Another list will appear find browse local files and click that. This will take you to were Kerbal is saved (the root file). Then in this file there is a folder called saves, open this folder. There will then be a list of files, one for each of you saved games. Make a copy of these before the next step incase you alter the wrong setting. Now go into the file of the save you want to change and find the persistance.sfs document. Open this document, use an edditor such as notepad to open it. Now scroll through the file untill the dificulty heading appears (it quite near the top) and there should be a line with the text AllowOtherLaunchSites = False, change this so that it reads AllowOtherLaunchSites = True     make this change and save the file. Now open Kerbal and the save file you altered and you should be able to launch from the other sites

1 hour ago, mrmcp1 said:

Ok first of all load up steam and find Kerbal. Right click on Kerbal and a list will come up, find properties and click it. Another list will appear find browse local files and click that. This will take you to were Kerbal is saved (the root file). Then in this file there is a folder called saves, open this folder. There will then be a list of files, one for each of you saved games. Make a copy of these before the next step incase you alter the wrong setting. Now go into the file of the save you want to change and find the persistance.sfs document. Open this document, use an edditor such as notepad to open it. Now scroll through the file untill the dificulty heading appears (it quite near the top) and there should be a line with the text AllowOtherLaunchSites = False, change this so that it reads AllowOtherLaunchSites = True     make this change and save the file. Now open Kerbal and the save file you altered and you should be able to launch from the other sites

Where do I find persistnace.sts. Do Imoaunch the game, do I use the local files where in local files. I can't find a saves folder in squad or gamedata.

They do need to fix the ladder though... it doesn't even have a collider, much less function as a ladder.

And yes, it's helped freshen up the game by having to do moon intercepts from a high inclination orbit.

On 3/20/2018 at 5:40 PM, GeneCash said:

They do need to fix the ladder though... it doesn't even have a collider, much less function as a ladder.

Interesting.  I have definitely climbed the ladder on the spawnable launchpad via the mission maker, which is the same launchpad as is at Woomerang.  I’ll have to try the one at Woomerang too.  

Edit:  gave it a try, you're right, I'll make a post about it in MH support.

Edited by klesh

On 3/20/2018 at 5:13 PM, Cheif Operations Director said:

Where do I find persistnace.sts. Do Imoaunch the game, do I use the local files where in local files. I can't find a saves folder in squad or gamedata.

KSP_Win64 > Saves > "YourGameSaveNameHere" > persistent.sfs

On 2018-03-20 at 2:10 PM, severedsolo said:

Has anyone noticed that Woomerang doesn't count as a "launch site" for contract purposes (part tests and such) - I'm playing a heavily modded install, so not sure if it's just that.

it has its own biome, I'm not sure if I've done a contract like that But I do remember thinking about that very issue.

8 minutes ago, snkiz said:

it has its own biome

Does it?   Running around the launchpad, even standing directly on it gives me only Grassland and/or Highlands surface sample results.

Edited by klesh

3 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

The launchpad itself is its own biome, in the same way that the buildings around ksc are their own biomes

Ahhhh, it has to be the top plane of the launchpad.  Standing on the ramp gives results as grassland, as does standing under the launchpad.

FetW0Hk.png

Edited by klesh

On 3/20/2018 at 2:13 PM, Cheif Operations Director said:

ok, clearly you need a lot of help with this.

1. On the desktop open steam.
  2. Under the games tab in the Steam window, find Kerbal Space Program, do not launch it.
  3. Right click Kerbal Space Program, a pop-up menu will appear.
  4. the last option on that menu is Properties, left click that.
  5. A window labeled Kerbal Space Program - Properties will appear, toward the top of the window, find the tab labeled LOCAL FILES and click it.
  6. On the LOCAL FILES tab, click the button at the top of the list labeled BROWSE LOCAL FILES, that will open the folder containing your Steam install of KSP.
  7. Find the folder named saves and open that.
  8. inside the saves folder are a bunch of folders with names like scenarios and training, find the one that is the same name as your saved game.
  9. Inside this folder is a file named Persistent.sfs, right click that and choose Open with... from the menu, then in the window that comes up, click notepad

From there, follow @mrmcp1's instructions to change code.

It sounds like you might not have Making History installed though, you need that to see Woomerang.

[snip]

Edited by Vanamonde

Things removed from this thread include but may not be limited to: 

• the thread going off-topic
  • people saying, 'Hey, the thread is off-topic, so let's make it more off-topic...' 
  • racist terms, even if not meant as insults 

Let's try to avoid all of that, okay? 

On 3/19/2018 at 5:20 AM, Kaa253 said:

What's happened here? There was once a bank running all around it I think? Like some kind of iron age enclosure. 
The grass has grown a lot?
Or I am getting forgetful in my old age perhaps...

Yes, there is a K-shaped bank still running around the edge.  Its large and isn't quite visible the way the photo was taken.

On 3/20/2018 at 3:48 PM, mrmcp1 said:

So I found it... it already reading as true.

On 3/20/2018 at 12:36 AM, Kaa253 said:

It is really quite good to have Woomerang help nudge me out of my boring addiction to Kerbin's equatorial plane.

I've been having fun using the Mission Builder simply to create oddball launch sites. You can put a pad anywhere in the solar system, including on the bottom of the ocean (Kerbal, Eve or Laythe), or on the side of a cliff.  It's really a great way to shake things up.

I'm pretty new to KSP, so in my case, shake things up generally means fail spectacularly in exotic locations.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm still using 1.3.1 and will be for a while.  But have just caught wind of these extra sites.  Someone dropped a clue the Dessert Airfield was -- in the desert -- 6S.  That was enough for Jeb in his trusty MiG 15 to locate it.  Huzzah.

OK, now about this Woomerang site.  (By the way, for the history buffs, the WRE in WRESAT stood for Weapons Research Establishment and it was a big employer in South Australia.  Another British-sponsored test site in SA was Maralinga, where the British tested nuke detonations back in the 50s.)

Sounds like there will be no Woomerang under KSP 1.3, but when it exists, it'll be somewhere near Baikerbanur.  Would anybody care to post lat/lon for a poor, old navigator?  :)

[I do also have a 1.4 installation, so I can still go check it out...]

Edited by Hotel26

2 hours ago, Hotel26 said:

Sounds like there will be no Woomerang under KSP 1.3, but when it exists, it'll be somewhere near Baikerbanur.  Would anybody care to post lat/lon for a poor, old navigator?  :)

Here is a screenshot from the mission builder.  The kerbal is placed on Baikerbanur, Woomerang is on the upper left, Dessert is on the bottom (its very very close to the pyramids), and KSC is at the lower right.

Woomerang's location is: Long:136.11, Lat: 45.29

CTKbsBk.png

Edited by klesh

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.