Efficiency Star Challenge!

Hey guys,

so I am working on my first mission and thought to create a rather oldschool mission to reach a stable orbit as efficiently as possible using a specific craft, the "Efficiency Star". There are still some bugs like messages not showing up in the end graphic. It could be a mission builder bug but I'm not sure! My workaround is to work with dialogs that pop up next to it!

The way I have designed the mission is quite complex because there are some nodes missing yet. For example a node that returns a resource number so that I could directly turn that number into a score. I hope that will be implemented! So right now the score can only jump by 100 points when you reach certain milestones. To achieve GOLD you have to reach 2400 points which is for the pros!

You need the latest KSP Making History Expansion to play this. All you have to do is to unpack the zip file into your KSP/Missions folder.

Example path:

Steam\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program\Missions\Efficiency Star Challenge

I hope you enjoy and post your result here! Remember, this is not as easy as it looks.

Mission Download

(I get a possible virus alert on my browser but it's just the exported zip file)

---

edit: I fixed an issue where it would show a success allthough the player ran into a fail condition. Explosions are not bugs! ;P You should always get a message when something went wrong.

Edited by LukasKerman

When reaching orbit the left over fuel immediately drains to zero and the ship blows up.

The "success" screen displays, but the ship is destroyed and zero points are awarded.

No mods, no idea why.

Cool idea & great way to practice accents, thanks!

4 hours ago, Guest Maceyp said:

This is a great little challenge. Shows how poor my Ascent really is. Got 1700 pts (Bronze) 

Good work

... 1500 here. New challenge: get into orbit with the lowest score! :D

I knew it was only a matter of time until this kind of stuff would start to appear. Nice job!

8 hours ago, Raptus said:

When reaching orbit the left over fuel immediately drains to zero and the ship blows up.

The "success" screen displays, but the ship is destroyed and zero points are awarded.

No mods, no idea why.

Was this a one time only bug or is it reproducible? If it is reproducible then you might consider reporting the bug in the Bug Tracker . It sounds like something the developers should know about. :)

The Bug Tracker requires registration for participation, but the effort of the community helps them iron out the bugs faster.

If the ship explodes you probably run into one of my triggers. For example you can't take longer than 20 minutes otherwise the fuel warms up so much that the tank explodes. :) There should be a message telling you that though. If you run low on fuel (under ~130 I think) it also explodes because the fuel pump pipe sticks too deep into the tank and the turbo pump runs dry.

Edited by LukasKerman

7 hours ago, Raphaello said:

I got 0 on my first try as my rocket has exploded - try to beat this :D

@LukasKerman It's a good mission - simple to achieve, hard to master. Have you achieved 2400?

Okay, how about this- get into orbit with the lowest score and without exploding!

I have no idea what I'm saying

12 hours ago, Raphaello said:

I got 0 on my first try as my rocket has exploded - try to beat this :D

@LukasKerman It's a good mission - simple to achieve, hard to master. Have you achieved 2400?

I don't want to spoil the messages you get as you get there which gives away what my score is^^ (or was when I made the mission) However, the max score you can theoretically achieve is 2600 which is GOLD++.

Edited by LukasKerman

On 3/14/2018 at 6:26 AM, LukasKerman said:

The way I have designed the mission is quite complex because there are some nodes missing yet. For example a node that returns a resource number so that I could directly turn that number into a score. I hope that will be implemented! So right now the score can only jump by 100 points when you reach certain milestones. To achieve GOLD you have to reach 2400 points which is for the pros!

I would also love a node to convert resources levels into score directly! For right now, there is a way to implement that functionality using a few separate nodes to make a loop. Here's how it works:

(We've made it to orbit with at least 120 fuel, or we would have exploded.)
1. Remove 1 unit of fuel
2. Add 10 points
3. If fuel is less than 1, go to scoring. Otherwise go back to step 1.

In this way our fuel drains and our points rise until the tanks are drained. In practice this takes a few seconds. To make it work we need to do the following things to the nodes shown in the picture below:

Compressed_Post.jpg

Under the options of both the change resource level node and the change score node, we unselect the 'run once' check box.
Have the change score node link to both the resource amount node and the change resource node. In the change score node's options, we make sure the resource amount node is higher so that it will happen if possible, or redirect back to the change resource node if not. Example link.

Also, I got a bronze! Thanks for the challenge.

Edited by Cunjo Carl

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.