How do Kerbals gain higher skill levels in PS4 EE 1.01

I'm playing KSP Enhanced Edition 1.01 on PS4, Career Mode, normal difficulty, default controls.

My Kerbals seem to have stopped earning experience, "No Experience Gained" after every mission. I've been trying to do things like cycle all the Kerbals to the space station, and Mun base do do their various jobs but I seem to be capping out at level 2.

I have rescued quite a few Kerbals, and they are all very low level, so I'm about to launch a few missions specifically to earn some experience and get them to a useful level.

My space program is about to launch it's first Duna probe, so interplanetary Kerbals aren't happening yet.

After looking at some videos on how to accomplish this, I have a couple questions;

-Do Kerbals gain experience for doing job specific tasks?

-Do all Kerbals on a Mission have to EVA and plant flags on the Mun and Minmus? Or will one flag be enough for the group?

-If I orbit the Mun or Minmus, do I have to come back on a different mission to get the experience for doing a landing? It "seems" that they will only get experience for one thing per celestial body.

-Do my Kerbals all have to orbit Kerbal and then on a different mission plant flags on Kerbal?

Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated...

Read through the Wiki section on experience, it's the same for PC and Console: https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/Experience

In short, you only get the "best" experience from any one planetary body and the levels are defined by the total XP the Kerbal has. It's all about the situation they go to, not about any specific jobs. Orbit is worth less than landing, landing is worth less than planting a flag. If you orbit one mission and then land another, the landing will overwrite the orbit and you'll get the difference in experience (so if orbit is worth 2 and landing is worth 3, you'll go up by 1 xp). It doesn't matter how many kerbals you have with you.

Basically you need to sent them to other planets. In short - Each kerbal gets the exp on each planet once. So once he plants a flag on mun, there is no way to gain more xp by going to mun. But if he reaches the minmus, he will get some more exp.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.