[Stock] V-22 Osprey Replica

Bubbadevlin Presents

The V-22 Osprey Replica

uV6T6Ep.png

"The Bell Boeing V-22 Osprey is an American multi-mission, tiltrotor military aircraft with both vertical takeoff and landing (VTOL), and short takeoff and landing (STOL) capabilities. It is designed to combine the functionality of a conventional helicopter with the long-range, high-speed cruise performance of a turboprop aircraft." - Wikipedia

DOWNLOAD

This is a high detail replica of a plane which I have attempted to mimic for years. The replica is sized 1:1 in ratio, and while it looks great (in my opinion) it is quite slow and ineffective as a plane. This replica is a long time in the making. Ever since I saw the first helicopters in KSP I have attempted (and for the most part) failed at making a replica of the V-22. In an indirect way my attempts to create it even led me to my first post on the forums, and probably my continued interest in KSP now. To me it is a challenging mix of mechanics and aesthetics that make it a fascinating plane to replicate. 

The craft is a whopping 600 part, mainly due to the high attention to detail which i worked on achieving with the craft, and the custom exterior using radiators. The craft flies perfectly fine, however do not expect it to go over ~70 m/s due to the extreme drag of the body design. Also the craft packs limited fuel, so don't expect to fly far. There is technically no kerbal capacity it could be easily added to the craft by clipping in a pod. 

The craft works on a more basic design than my previous tilt rotor, the Binary 2 and is a simple dock and undock procedure powered by air brakes. This allows the craft to be a very simple 1 button to move the rotors. For thrust the craft is using 3 wheesley engines on each rotor. This is because it was impossible for me to create turboprops powerful enough to lift the heavy craft while still remaining a small enough form factor that the realism would not be hindered. The propeller blades do however work, and are powered by an extremely weak turboprop. (I would suggest NOT using this feature if just flying the craft, as sometimes the decoupled propellers will not work properly when the orientation of the engines are changed)

Album Link : 

https://imgur.com/a/kZBfF

Action Groups 

1 - Rotate Engines

2 - Toggle Main Engines (Wheesleys)

3 - Toggle Propellers 

Edited by Bubbadevlin
Not done

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.