Perform Research at the Research and Development Center

Since the dawn of KSP version 0.22, we have had one of the largest facilities present at the Kerbal Space Center; the Research and Development Center (also called the RnD Center). Clearly it's where you go to spend your science in KSP but do you really need 9 buildings to do so? Of course not! That's where the science is done! Like in any real Research and Development Center, the majority of the space is dedicated to experiments and research to develop new technologies! Now I don't propose we add a system where you have to calculate or design an entire rocket to unlock a new fuel tank-

What I do propose- is that you can research into vehicles and developments. Specifically being able to run fluid dynamics tests, rover tests (as that has been a recurring request), landing tests, and so on. Needless to say, the majority of NASA (and other space agencies) work is research based over flights. In KSP, the majority of the research is in the doing, yet most of real life research is in what we observe and discover in the numbers. Though players shouldn't need to compute complex equations to find the precise solution to a problem, they should be able to see that massive drag system on their rocket. Or players could drop a frame of their lander and see how it performs on various degrees of slopes (something NASA did quite a lot for the lunar lander) or simply see how a rover fairs on various forms of terrain. With the point being to perform small scale tests in a lab environment (the birth place of most, if not all massive scientific endeavors).

If that by itself isn't enough for Squad/Private Division/T2 then this system can be put to use by contracts. Where players can look into the dynamics of a craft's fluid dynamics and find a way to improve it, or improve the internal functions of a landing leg and make it more rubust and thus, either unlock that part in the tech tree, improve it's stats, or just provide science. A common recurring complaint is that the science system has too little part in the game's flow. Science is just a collectathon and some players like it and others don't. I just think that the science system needs more added to it. Clicking and collecting science by just gathering a soil sample, looking at a few science instruments, crew report, and hopping to the next biome just doesn't meld with me.

Lastly I think that having scientists perform said experiments should warrant experience points for them (someone's got to do the science, and when they do, why can't they get XP for it?).

That said, what do others think? Would you agree that the various buildings in the RnD Center should get a purpose? Let me know.

3 hours ago, eddiew said:

I'm going to be that guy and ask what the wind tunnel/testing ground will offer that launch/try/revert doesn't... 

They could have random failures as a (off by default) difficulty setting, and using the wind tunnel/testing ground on those parts. Another thing is to get upgrades, you could have to conduct research for those parts. Also, it would be great for RP.

10 hours ago, eddiew said:

I'm going to be that guy and ask what the wind tunnel/testing ground will offer that launch/try/revert doesn't... 

What it provides is data. Sure you can brute force your way through a problem but using the wind tunnel will let you see why a problem exists and how to resolve it. It's not crucial but it also will make life a lot easier when you can see why your rocket/plane behaves the way it does.

In my mind, it's like watching a car crash and trying to improve the car by just watching the car crash, as opposed to looking at data points which can show you precisely what's happening, and why.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.