174 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the DLC?

• Yes, Its great!
    • Yes, but theres some problems
    • No, but theres some parts I like
    • Nope, I don't like it
    • I havent bought it / I'm waiting for reviews
    • Other (Please post below)

I haven't messed with the mission builder or missions yet as I mostly play career.  What I've seen of the new parts so far I mostly like, except for one thing:  I started a science save to experiment with progressing through the new parts and the 1.875m engines unlock the same time as the Mainsail on the tech tree, which kinda limits their usefulness.  Previously, I used Angel125's MOLE mod, and those Titan-like parts made up the bulk of my space program until I had expanded past Kerbin's SoI.  But part of the appeal to those was the earlier availability on the tech tree.  My first LFO rockets were 1.25's of course, then the MOLE parts started to unlock & I jumped to them for most of my needs until my launch pad was fully upgraded.  With the progression in the DLC, you don't get that stepping stone.

I like the Mission Builder and have already made a mission or two, but it’s sort of buggy and annoying (upon loading craft I get an instant “Success”), which, you know, kind of defeats the purpose.

The new engines are pretty underwhelming, especially the Skiff... geez that thing barely puts out more thrust than a Reliant and I used Vectors as my J2 engines instead to keep TWR high enough.

The new crew capsules are amazing though, great job Squad on the modeling!

Terribly underwhelming for what amounts to nothing more than a mediocre parts mod alongside a stand-alone logic GUI contract  one-off mission builder...

Oh and the obscene failure to check COM of parts... alignment of parts... I mean how hard is it to go through each of ~100 parts in the VAB before going live?

It was a year in the making and only took 10 min of playing to see how disconnected Squad has become from reality of what players want.

Career, still broken, had hopes that MISSION BUILDER was going to fix that.. Nope.

There are 100 free mods that make KSP better for every failure this DLC propagates.. and there are many.

Edited by Pixel Kola

Really disapointed by the DLC,

- New missions sucks, first they should have been within the sandbox instead of being standalone. Plus the missions builder is badly made. Logic tree with no real interface to deal with, what.

New parts a kinda cool but seems a little unbalaced a the moment.

I would have prefered missions integrated within career, like things to do in the actual game, wich would reward you with skins for the parts, and new functionalities for the KSC.

I don't know if it's interesting to copy real life rockets. Building and finding own solutions is more interesting. The parts should allow this, but not be something like a "Saturn IC - Tank".

... and what I miss is, that deep space missions are not interesting enough. Fly to Jool with a Kerbal... well... yeah... but not very realistic. The game could use some tweaks here. Maybe there should also be some kind of setting for the career mode how realistic it should be. And while we all love explosions... maybe we should still try not to kill Kerbals... and this should be rewarded a little bit more ... maybe.

So... realism without being a copy of the real life. That should be what KSP should try. And this DLC is... well... more  a copy than realism. But I do like 1.4.1 and those decoupler, adapter plates and shroud updates and stuff like that.

But that's just a general view. I didn't go into details now.

I feel a bit let down by how many issues there are in a product they're charging for and have been working on for a year. Especially "simple" errors like not getting parts right :/

I bought the DLC the moment it came out. This experience is going to make me think hard before I'm an early adopter of any additional DLC

The DLC is alright, I think.   It may add more functionality for modders.   If it does in a meaningful way then it could be a great DLC.   I will have to wait and see what happens after a month or so.   I worry also that this dlc could have hurt the fully modded experience a bit or to a great deal.   I am currently about ready to reinstall 1.3 if i can, just to get all the mods back that make this game truly great.    I personally cant even begin to predict what will happen in the future for KSP and its mods but, I do worry about it.

Edited by Red Thought
used the word mod for dlc

I made this video using the Making History update... you be the judge.

- Jett

Edit:  Also BTW, I'm loving this new update.  I've had this game since V0.22 and have gotten thousands of hours of entertainment out of it so I'm in on any new DLC squad wants to put out. 

Edited by Jett_Quasar

I like the DLC. In 2 years of KSP, I've logged over 1000 hours. For my $40, that turns into 4 cents an hour. That isn't very much to give the devs who have worked for over half a decade on the game I love, so I am more than happy to give them money to keep doing that.

Still exploring the new content, but I like what there is so far.  The inflatable airlocks alone will revolutionize surface base design!  Same with the folding rover wheels.  I love that I can compact this stuff for launch and extend it at destination.  

And as mentioned, the new structural panels will enable many snazzy-looking new designs.  

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.