Improving the Soyuz-style pods from Making History DLC

Improving the Soyuz-style pods from Making History DLC  

66 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion?

• Yes! I think that having a descent module would be great
    • Nope, I'm fine with just Vostok-style spacecraft

As the title said, one thing that I would really enjoy to have is the ability to make "full Soyuz style" spacecraft instead of just Vostok, so having also the "descent module" alongside the "orbital module".

What do you think guys? Do you also feel that is a little bit incomplete right now?

Soyuz_TMA-7_spacecraft2edit1.jpg

Edited by Daze

While I appreciate them adding new parts, a lot of these feel like half-hearted attempts ... it's like getting 2/3 of a jigsaw puzzle.  If Squad was going to make historical parts, it should be complete sets -- we have a nice new command module, a service module that (almost) fits on top, but no parachutes that will surface attach inside.  The Munar Excursion Module has a lot of problems as well with stability ... it's like, they made the part and it looks cool ... but it's virtually unusable due it's massive stability problems.

That being said, they did a nice job with the engines, engine plates and fuel tanks.

Edited by Caelib

I totally agree, i fully expected this to be in the expansion. 

If anyone takes more then 5 minutes of looking at the soviet / russian space program (or human space endevour as a whole) they would see just how much it is dominated by the soyuz craft. It was origially designed as thier version of the apollo command module, and varients of it have remained in use ever since. And currently it is the only spacecraft that is in use for taking humans to low earth orbit and the international space station.

The fact that we cannot currently create it was a massive oversight in the base game, let alone the expansion.

although adding the command module would be useful to make soyuz (i've done it using two spheres and using the move tool to push a cover over the lower half and it looks pretty good) what we also need is a 2 x 4 unfolding solar panel, preferably one that doesn't rotate ( or the ability to disable it) I've used the sentinal solar panels for this and they are the perfect size, but they are problomatic because they don't unfold and have to placed in the perminately open position.

Edited by Pyrkie

Do people realize that the there are no Soyuz styled parts in the new expansion? They are Vostok and Voshkod parts, not Soyuz.

I would love to see Soyuz-styled parts, along with Salyut parts. Like @Pyrkie said, the Soyuz dominated the space race, and simply can't be ignored.

On 3/16/2018 at 1:44 PM, ZooNamedGames said:

Personally I just want to see it cramped like it is in the real Soyuz- 

That would be the modern Soyuz in its role as crew ferry/supply vehicle for large space stations. In the olden days it was a two person vehicle that wasn’t packed full of supplies.

On 3/16/2018 at 11:06 AM, evileye.x said:

No stock souyz this time, guys. Best stockalike souyz in HGR mod. All your souyz thirst needs, including LES

Tantares is another option. I've been using HGR for a while, but the new Tantares textures look really great alongside the new stock parts. I may switch over for my next playthrough

When has squad ever given us complete kits of anything?

I never expected we'd get all the parts required and IMO I don't think we should. It would be like buying a lego kit but instead of building it yourself somebody at the factory already did it for you... and its only one gigantic part.

Seriously, where is the fun in building something than is meant to go in a certain position and nowhere else? Half the fun of KSP is trying to realise your ideas with a limited part set. Honestly, the day squad give us exactly what we need parts-wise will truly be the day KSP dies.

On 3/20/2018 at 5:48 PM, Kerbart said:

That would be the modern Soyuz in its role as crew ferry/supply vehicle for large space stations. In the olden days it was a two person vehicle that wasn’t packed full of supplies.

It also was supposed to ferry crew to the moon CSM style (least, according to what I’ve heard).

3 hours ago, MR L A said:

When has squad ever given us complete kits of anything?

In Making History expansion, lol. Just look at LEM.

Seriously, I would love to have stock "headlight style" reentry pod. Who does not?

8 hours ago, Tyko said:

Tantares is another option.

Yes, Tantares is GREAT. Again :). Amazing quality work.

But less stock-a-like in my opinion. 

1 hour ago, ZooNamedGames said:

It also was supposed to ferry crew to the moon

Yes, it is bit "over-engineered" for low earth orbit ferry. 

15 hours ago, evileye.x said:

In Making History expansion, lol. Just look at LEM.

I’m lacking a specific descent stage. So it’s not complete and the fact that you’re forced to land it from the back end of the vehicle is a significant shortcoming.

On 3/21/2018 at 10:23 PM, evileye.x said:

Yes, Tantares is GREAT. Again :). Amazing quality work.

I was actually surprised how well the new Tantares textures worked with the new and updated parts from 1.4.1/MH...check these examples... :)

VbOtpyv.jpg

TMYy613.jpg

On 3/21/2018 at 12:51 PM, RoboRay said:

I improvised my own Soyesque descent module with a fairing...

nhlcPAk.png

I went with the small radiator panels the same way Gaarst did.   Achieves that bell shape nicely:

rqpJcXf.png

On 3/21/2018 at 7:33 PM, MR L A said:

Honestly, the day squad give us exactly what we need parts-wise will truly be the day KSP dies.

To die would be a great adventure :P 

On 3/21/2018 at 11:23 PM, evileye.x said:

define "stock-a-like" cause there is a famous quote of nova skillo saying beales style was more stock than stock :wink:

On 3/20/2018 at 4:29 PM, NSEP said:

Do people realize that the there are no Soyuz styled parts in the new expansion? They are Vostok and Voshkod parts, not Soyuz.

I would love to see Soyuz-styled parts, along with Salyut parts. Like @Pyrkie said, the Soyuz dominated the space race, and simply can't be ignored.

True, but if you looking up a Soyuz size comparison the Orbital module is the same size as the Vostok and Voshkod capsules, and considering that the base game has no life support functionality there isn't anything for an orbital module part to do, so I personally think they serve its function fine.

Also the new engine plates 'cluster modes' work perfectly for recreating how Soyuz's engine set up works; considering the duel engine for mercury got its own part (and doesn't need this) and the quad engine for the Soviet / Russian R-7  also got their own part (and again don't need this), I can't think of any real world example other then Soyuz,  (I'm sure some else can :P, also the engine plates are the best part addition in the expansion)

Finally the new Soviet / Russian style separator (which I know was used extensively on the R-7 rockets) is used on Soyuz, although I think it is generally covered in real life.

As many have said, they’re Vostok and Vokshod parts. I would like a Soyuz/LOK-style OM, DM, and SM, though.

20 hours ago, demibear said:

Unless I missed something, I find it odd they give you all the parts for the R7 except for the upper stage engines.

Yeah, it’s weird. I clipped a terrier into my SM, but you could do it with a bunch of different engines.

1 hour ago, [INDO]dimas_1502 said:

mmm isn't it's the same engine used for all stages?

The RD-108/110 are derived from the RD-107, looks shorter.

And true on the other parts. Though if you are going to do something, do it completely.

Edited by demibear

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.