Doughnut Fuel Tank Doesn't Fit "Nicely" w/ 1.25m Parts Anymore

I think you mean 0.625m parts. Ironically, the change you are lamenting was to make it work BETTER with the 1.25m parts.

That change was to discourage the default clipping that took place when placing multiples of the part on top of each other, or on top of other 1.25m parts. For 0.625m parts, use the translation tool to squeeze them together.

I agree with the implied (by posting in "suggestions&development") suggestion to restore the old stacking distance.

The original post's image shows what I believe to be the intended use for this tank.  For 1.25-meter stacks, we have the FL-T series of fuel tanks.  The gap between the torus tank and the 'spark' engine will simply look wrong to new players.

The clipping of the torus into other 1.25-meter parts doesn't affect drag or mass, but a stack of the old round-8 does let us fit twice as much fuel in a cargo bay as the FL-T series would allow.   This clipping, however, is obvious, so will give a clue to new players that they are not using the torus as intended, and that clipping is easy for experienced players to avoid using the offset tool.  

tanks.jpg

For a while at least, the old Round-8, with its old spacing, is available by selecting all 'fuel' parts:

The new gold-foil tanks allow other parts to attach to their surfaces, which might be an oversight, but is interesting.

(The configuration files list @RoverDude as author, who has already posted his reasoning as 5thHorseman says, but he might want to see our thoughts if he has time.)

Edited by OHara

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.