The Sarnus-V semi-historical Mun mission

Just Jim

Hey everyone, I thought I'd have some fun with the new Making History DLC parts. This is the Sarnus-V Mun Rocket, complete with a small Munar Module. She is NOT 100% historically accurate... maybe 50%... lol... This is just me playing with the new DLC parts, and I thought I'd share the ride with y'all.

I64rugn.jpg

F9FkU8K.png

The clock ticks down...

"5... 4... 3... 2... 1..."

...and the 5 huge Mastodons roar to life, shaking the entire KSC as it slowly lifts into the sky...

lYcHYhj.png

GxGrcHD.png

RO9G7BH.png

"And we have a clean separation of the first stage!!!"

WwBlBYK.png

gztWIRW.png

As she circularizes into orbit, the 2nd stage detaches, and the huge Rhino engine finalizes the burn into LKO.

6t8uy62.png

Now that she is safely in orbit, the crew can eject the Launch Escape System rocket, attached to the nose, and head onto the Mun.

kNljlDz.png

uorirR8.png

Once in LMO, the real fun begins, as the crew detaches from the third stage, then spins around and docks to the Munar Module that was safely nestled in the shrouds between the stages.

6SO9bQE.png

JU860ay.png

uGgsKRK.png

ALQhcJe.png

cqxZB9i.png

vkIWlcG.png

Once docked, Val and Bob crawl into the small MEM, and eject the lower section of the third stage, before detaching and heading down to the surface.

SpyUMRL.png

N3OzZQr.png

LsZUgtC.png

But this mission was top-secret... Val and Bob are investigating a strange reading... and as they come in for a landing, they are amazed to find what they thought was just a large rock is anything but...

pTXq3AH.png

yx5t9Dt.png

6Md4FOF.png

Once the amazed crew had landed, and checked over all the equipment, Val extended the ladder, and the two crawled out to the surface, just as Kerbol reached it's peak, and a gold plaque suddenly gleamed into view!!!

bZRiHb6.png

q7yO7IX.png

They stayed as long as they could... but it wasn't long enough for either, and soon they crawled back into the MEM, and waited until the service module was in just the right position before lifting off to rendezvous with her.

scPnDhw.png

2TvIfdJ.png

ag2IT74.png

KfG8p2a.png

PMpaynE.png

As soon as Val and Bob were back in their seats, Val jettisoned the small MEM with a sad smile, then turned the service module back around, and set a course back home.

Bh28Kfa.png

ITXZiUW.png

rUGFPb4.png

Once they were safely back in LKO, Val turned the service module retrograde, and burned off the last of their fuel to decelerate, and then ejected it as then entered the upper atmosphere.

DCZKIL5.png

9RSa2ep.png

8Z3RRm5.png

As the air began to slow the capsule, Val ejected the small service module shrouds in the capsule nose, and waited until they were safely slowed down enough to deploy the parachutes... and land safely back on Kerbin, just a few kilometers off shore from the KSC.

tHxbv5t.png

uUtH3PH.png

KHCEpfu.png

ws1UsQ2.png

OK... I have to apologize... I really thought I hit the screenshot key after they were in the water... but as much fun as that was, I'm not gonna do the whole thing just for one ending screenshot... lol.  

Hope y'all enjoyed it.... these new parts are all sorts of fun!!!  :cool:

JJ

Nice mission. I see that you can get parachutes to deploy from inside the conical service module cap on the CM...so you are a better than than I. You also have the part clipped down lower onto the CM (for better fit), so that wasn't my problem. Hmmm...I was using action groups to deploy my chutes...maybe that is causing my problem.

I guess I should go experiment.

8 hours ago, Brotoro said:

Nice mission. I see that you can get parachutes to deploy from inside the conical service module cap on the CM...so you are a better than than I. You also have the part clipped down lower onto the CM (for better fit), so that wasn't my problem. Hmmm...I was using action groups to deploy my chutes...maybe that is causing my problem.

I guess I should go experiment.

I can't deny I was really worried about those parachutes working right, but they co-operated OK. One thing is you can eject the shrouds on that conical SM cap... that might be where people are running into problems, not opening it up first??? IDK... I know parachutes in any kind of cargo container can get finicky... But after I ejected the shrouds, they worked OK.

Oh, I didn't action group them, but I had drogue chutes (not in the screenshots) and had them action keyed to cut loose once I deployed the main parachutes... that worked OK as well.

I would just double check and test anything like that on the launch pad whenever possible first, just in case.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.