Looking into modelling new engine parts, where should I start in texturing?

Hello there ^^

I'm wondering what programs/tools I should use for texturing parts to a semi-realistic standard (i.e. have metallic areas look metallic, and so on), preferably open source/free (but not trial software). I've heard of procedural texture generation, should I try something like that after I practice making a few basic cute little engines like in @Beale's part tutorial? I think that hand-drawn textures are nice, but I feel it may get overwhelming trying to do stuff like it for more detailed parts once I get the hang of modelling parts...

On 3/15/2018 at 12:30 AM, T-10a said:

Hello there ^^

I'm wondering what programs/tools I should use for texturing parts to a semi-realistic standard (i.e. have metallic areas look metallic, and so on), preferably open source/free (but not trial software). I've heard of procedural texture generation, should I try something like that after I practice making a few basic cute little engines like in @Beale's part tutorial? I think that hand-drawn textures are nice, but I feel it may get overwhelming trying to do stuff like it for more detailed parts once I get the hang of modelling parts...

Generally speaking, the most widely used free modelign software is Blender, and most people use some Photoshop equivalent - GIMP, Paint.net, Krita, etc - to make their textures. All the part modders I know hand make their textures, though there are a lot of little procedural effects we use like baking ambient occlusion and using Photoshop layer effects to add gradients etc.

On 30.3.2018 at 7:46 PM, Kurld said:

I did notice this plugin.  Have not any time to explore it at all.

This will give you the tools to use the unity pbr shader and all the additional maps that you need for it.

Only the parttools don't support it, but this doesn't matter.

Shadowmage and others ( including myself) use substance painter for all our texturing needs so it's easy for us to support the u5 pbr Shader and have realistic effects.

TU also takes care of the reflections, which is a really great feature, because they are not easy to get in ksp. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.