To The Mun Via Minmus - Help to complete please

Having a couple of issues with this, not sure if it's my bad piloting or bad design:

1) How on earth are you *supposed* to get to Minmus from such a high inclination orbit? I managed it by boosting myself into a Mun orbit, using that for the inclination change and then transferring from Mun to Minmus. I solved this problem with "Jebnik 1" by boosting to a high orbit and doing the planechange there. THat didn't work with this mission though, as still used a ton of fuel. Even then I had to use my RCS for the final burns. I feel like this is not the "right" way to do it as the mission is called "via minmus" - perhaps you aren't supposed to touch Mun at all? Even with Hibernation on, because of the terrible transfer I was forced to do, I had to return to the tracking station to stop the craft eating up all my EC (took me somewhere in the region of 150-200 days).

2) Once the Minmus portion is done, the mission objectives don't update. It just vaugely mentions the radiation damage and nothing else. I managed it by following the dialog boxes, but the final box just says "crash into the Mun" doesn't mention the crash zone - as I had no objectives I missed it, so crashed and was then stuck because I missed the crash zone.

I made the transfer by just making a standard eastward gravity turn, then targeting Minmus and setting a maneuver node at the AN/DN node opposite the closest approach. That got me close enough to tweak my maneuver for an encounter.

EC: Hibernation. The radio message you get after the goo experiment suggests that.

Crash objective seems to be bugged hard.

Edited by Jarin

It's meant to mimic the first Soviet lunar probes.  They had a similar problem of a launch pad at a latitude that forces a high inclination.

Their solution was to not bother matching inclination but instead wait till the right time of day when the launchpad is at the right phase angle and then just launch into polar orbit.  By waiting to the right time of day to launch, the polar orbit will be lined up right to make the transfer burn and you'll approach the moon from its North Pole.

34 minutes ago, Steven Mading said:

Their solution was to not bother matching inclination but instead wait till the right time of day when the launchpad is at the right phase angle and then just launch into polar orbit. 

*bangs head against wall * obviously.

I figured there was a launch window I needed to hit, I just didn't think about going into a polar orbit, I launched East instead, and couldn't find the right place to hit the node. Obviously it makes much more sense to just try and hit minmus head on and do any plane changes when you get there.

Will try that when I get home.

Also remember that "release the goo by staging" apparently means "stage to remove the fairing and run the goo experiment". The instructions on this one are really bad.

The mission panel doesn't tell you what to do next either, because they have a weird break in the mission logic. The main logic ends in the 20d radiation fail condition after launching the second vessel, and the rest of the mission logic is triggered by a catch-all node activated by leaving kerbins SOI (into the muns', via distance check weirdly...).

12 hours ago, Jarin said:

I made the transfer by just making a standard eastward gravity turn, then targeting Minmus and setting a maneuver node at the AN/DN node opposite the closest approach. That got me close enough to tweak my maneuver for an encounter.

Well this is the mission that keeps on giving. I can confirm that this is the "correct" way to do this mission. Apparently the initial launch has unspecified inclination and LAN requirements too (doesn't tell you what they are though) - if you try to launch to polar orbit it won't work.

However, you can get a relatively easy transfer once you are there by making a maneuver node at the AN as Jarin said.

10 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

Apparently the initial launch has unspecified inclination and LAN requirements too (doesn't tell you what they are though) - if you try to launch to polar orbit it won't work.

That shouldn't be the case, the only node in the mission checkinh inclination is the mun orbit node - equatorial...

5 minutes ago, Draradech said:

That shouldn't be the case, the only node in the mission checkinh inclination is the mun orbit node - equatorial...

Maybe it was a bug then. I launched munar 1to polar orbit and the objective to release the goo never unlocked

The initial orbit does specify an inclination accuracy of 90 degrees so if you are in a polar orbit it will be easy to be slightly over with an inclination of 90+

The objectives definitely seem bugged once you get to the munar 2 launch. It wants you to target a specific munar orbit but it won't tell you what it is. By quick saving then loading I got it to draw a target orbit.

On 3/15/2018 at 10:07 AM, Steven Mading said:

It's meant to mimic the first Soviet lunar probes.  They had a similar problem of a launch pad at a latitude that forces a high inclination.

Their solution was to not bother matching inclination but instead wait till the right time of day when the launchpad is at the right phase angle and then just launch into polar orbit.  By waiting to the right time of day to launch, the polar orbit will be lined up right to make the transfer burn and you'll approach the moon from its North Pole.

I've got over 2200 hours logged in KSP, but I still have no idea how to plan a launch window. I just launch to a parking orbit, and use something like Transfer Window Planner or MechJeb's similar feature. How do you do it without a mod?

21 hours ago, capran said:

I've got over 2200 hours logged in KSP, but I still have no idea how to plan a launch window. I just launch to a parking orbit, and use something like Transfer Window Planner or MechJeb's similar feature. How do you do it without a mod?

To launch to The moon from a high inclination launch site you want to have the ascending or descending node of your parking orbit to be at the point where you want to do your trans munar burn. The desc/asc node will be 90 degrees away from the launch sight for the minimum inclination orbit.

So

1. Check the phase angle for going to the Mun (100 degrees ish)
  2. Centred on Kerbin, with the Mun at the top of the screen find the angle around kerbin that is 100 degrees clockwise
  3. find the angle that is 90 degrees before that
  4. Wait until Kerbin's rotation brings the launch site to that angle
  5. Launch - heading initially due east
  6. Circularize at AP as usual
  7. Place a node at the AN/DN
  8. Drag the prograde node out until you get an intercept with the Mun - don't worry about the inclination of the transfer orbit
  9. Fine tune the transfer node ad execute
  10. Do a mid course correction burn to get a low equitorial pe at the Mun
  11. At Munar PE set the inclination to whatever you require.

23 hours ago, tomf said:

To launch to The moon from a high inclination launch site you want to have the ascending or descending node of your parking orbit to be at the point where you want to do your trans munar burn. The desc/asc node will be 90 degrees away from the launch sight for the minimum inclination orbit.

So

1. Check the phase angle for going to the Mun (100 degrees ish)
  2. Centred on Kerbin, with the Mun at the top of the screen find the angle around kerbin that is 100 degrees clockwise
  3. find the angle that is 90 degrees before that
  4. Wait until Kerbin's rotation brings the launch site to that angle
  5. Launch - heading initially due east
  6. Circularize at AP as usual
  7. Place a node at the AN/DN
  8. Drag the prograde node out until you get an intercept with the Mun - don't worry about the inclination of the transfer orbit
  9. Fine tune the transfer node ad execute
  10. Do a mid course correction burn to get a low equitorial pe at the Mun
  11. At Munar PE set the inclination to whatever you require.

Thanks, that's actually what I've done in the past. What i was really wondering though, is how do you schedule the launch and do the whole thing from the get go, without going into a parking orbit first?

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, LiveHereNow said:

I'm orbiting Minmus correctly, but I'm running out of electricity trying to transmit the gravity scan before I setup the crash. Not sure what to do here. Any ideas?

Put your probe cores into hibernation for the trip. There's a second core hidden away, (iirc is between the batteries) both need to be hibernated

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.