Part observations

tater

16 minutes ago, tater said:

That said, do the radial fuel tanks have physics on? If so, doesn't their position matter in terms of where the center of mass is?

I don't know if they do or not, but you can't carry very much even if you stuff 2x Oscars in there.  Enough to throw it offcenter probably, but not enough that SAS or RCS couldn't hold you straight I think.

I would also dig it if all of the new SM’s came with the ability to disable staging of their panels.  If you have a mission profile where you dont want to stage them, you’ll forever have it lingering there in your stage stack, sometimes as the last and only non-fired stage.  Since we always have the ability to look inside them with the part action window, I prefer to keep the panels on most of the time.  

Edited by klesh

I like the idea of the trays on the SM-25, honestly, except that they are buggy, and the panels reappear after being staged off (then disappear, then reappear, lol).

The SM-18 and -6A are too flaky in terms of surface attachment. The latter needs some dedicated parachutes (roverdude said the drogues land the Mk1-3, but that just annoys me, since they are called drogues, not proper chutes. It's like the Mk1 lander can, the description says it cannot survive atmospheric flight, so when I first got the game, I never tried (it TELLS YOU it can't survive---but that;s just nonsense). Maybe the SM-18 could get some magical LFO storage like the MEM must have.

On 3/18/2018 at 12:16 PM, klesh said:

Nope.  I found the key is to disable surface snap (the hex icon) and place items with the circle icon. Try that?

Hell I did not know you could turn off surface snap in stock now? I always used editor extensions and building without it kill's me! Squad needs to have a manual with a key chart you can call up in the game. I have been playing forever since the Alfa days. Back then it was acceptable to have to Wiki or Dev note every release. But now that this is a full game. I had to mash a bunch of keys to figure out the new parachute.So how do you Toggle off surface attach on parts stock ? Now I have to go look this up thanks.    

2 hours ago, Delbrutis said:

Hell I did not know you could turn off surface snap in stock now? I always used editor extensions and building without it kill's me! Squad needs to have a manual with a key chart you can call up in the game. I have been playing forever since the Alfa days. Back then it was acceptable to have to Wiki or Dev note every release. But now that this is a full game. I had to mash a bunch of keys to figure out the new parachute.So how do you Toggle off surface attach on parts stock ? Now I have to go look this up thanks.    

“C” switches between angle snap on and off. Give it a try. 

3 hours ago, klesh said:

I know that R changes symmetry modes, between radial and mirror, but is there a key to cycle through symmetry value? Like, if you're in 2-way radial symmetry, you'd press this key to go up to 3-way, and again to 4-way, and again to 6-way and two more times to cycle back to none.

On 3/18/2018 at 3:50 PM, tater said:

The SM-18 and -6A are too flaky in terms of surface attachment. Maybe the SM-18 could get some magical LFO storage like the MEM must have.

Was the SM-18 intended to serve as the core of the descent module for the LM? I wasn't sure what it was to be used for.

The latter needs some dedicated parachutes (roverdude said the drogues land the Mk1-3, but that just annoys me, since they are called drogues, not proper chutes. It's like the Mk1 lander can, the description says it cannot survive atmospheric flight, so when I first got the game, I never tried (it TELLS YOU it can't survive---but that;s just nonsense).

A single Mk16 parachute fits quite neatly inside each of the four chambers inside the SM-6A. Of course it doesn't surface attach, so you do have to place a cubic strut and offset it down, which is suboptimal. But the finished product looks very neat, and the Mk16s have much longer line lengths than the Mk2-R, which looks good. I put three Mk16s in three chambers and put a pair of surface-attached radial drogues in the fourth chamber. You can use an action group to cut the drogues at the same time that you deploy the mains.

I, for one, am really bummed that Making History didn't include any particularly-elegant way to clone an N-1.

Edited by sevenperforce

Here is another part observation.  I hope these are being seen by the people that count.

The doors on the SM-25 do not close, or rather, their closed position has a gap in it towards the aft of the part.  Here you can see it from one angle, and I put a battery in there so you could see the yellow striping inside from another angle.

I presume this gap is not intentional?

capture1.png

3 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

I know that R changes symmetry modes, between radial and mirror, but is there a key to cycle through symmetry value? Like, if you're in 2-way radial symmetry, you'd press this key to go up to 3-way, and again to 4-way, and again to 6-way and two more times to cycle back to none.

Was the SM-18 intended to serve as the core of the descent module for the LM? I wasn't sure what it was to be used for.

SM-18 appears to be the Gemini Service Module.

"X" is the key that cycles through symmetry values.  X cycles upwards, and Ctrl+ X cycles it downwards.

2 minutes ago, sevenperforce said:

Oh, that hadn't occurred to me, because it seems way too tall for that. Also, if you stage off the panels, would legs still be attached? And what about propellants?

Given the shape on the bottom, I assumed it was a non-conical version of the Gemini SM.

4 hours ago, klesh said:

Yeah my bad. I misunderstood when he said toggle surface snap I thought he meant surface attach. I don't know how people load tanks and stuff in the MK3 cargo bay of there shuttle? Or build anything around tight spaces and close nodes without it. right after I got this first thing I did was try to build a LEM. Stock game with no Editor Extensions and those new structural panels with all those node's Ahhh! If anyone knows if their is a stock key to toggle the node and surface attach on and off like EE let me know? I basically install that whole mod for that one feature. EE used to be the only way you could toggle radial and mirror "it used to be Mirror in SPH and Radial in VAB exclusively. was also the only way to add small steps in angle snap Stock used to only be the 15 deg only I think? Thank's for the reply though.   

On 3/20/2018 at 10:14 AM, Delbrutis said:

Yeah my bad. I misunderstood when he said toggle surface snap I thought he meant surface attach. I don't know how people load tanks and stuff in the MK3 cargo bay of there shuttle? Or build anything around tight spaces and close nodes without it. right after I got this first thing I did was try to build a LEM. Stock game with no Editor Extensions and those new structural panels with all those node's Ahhh! If anyone knows if their is a stock key to toggle the node and surface attach on and off like EE let me know? 

The key you are looking for is ALT on Windows.

On 3/15/2018 at 11:28 AM, klesh said:

That brings me to the old LES part.  Left: Putting it atop the SM-6A and leaving it obviously doesn't work. Center: Using it without the SM-6A is reasonable, but I want to use my MH parts!  Right: Translating the LES down into the SM-6A so that its nosecone is hidden looks the best, I think.  Leaves Docking Jr "exposed" visually, but its the best solution.  Ideally, the LES needs to be updated with a cone-less mesh variant (and have its texture made to match the new Mk1-3.)

qWz2xb3.png

I made a BPC (Boost Protective Cover) from an inverted fairing above the docking port...

qQnDU9m.png

Could be prettier, but it works.

Edited by RoboRay

1 hour ago, RoboRay said:

I made a BPC (Boost Protective Cover) from an inverted fairing above the docking port...

qQnDU9m.png

Could be prettier, but it works.

That's what I've done on all of my LESes. Either that, or do it the opposite way -- fairing below, tapering up to close around the LES base.

On 3/20/2018 at 11:31 AM, klesh said:

The doors on the SM-25 do not close, or rather, their closed position has a gap in it towards the aft of the part.  Here you can see it from one angle, and I put a battery in there so you could see the yellow striping inside from another angle.

capture1.png

This is still present in 1.4.2

50 minutes ago, tater said:

Have they fixed any of the part problems in 1.4.2?

A couple things were.  EC comsumption rate was fixed on the Mk2 Pod. The Wolfhound was half fixed, its thrust is still off despite its model looking aligned now.  It looks like the Kv-2 Pea might keep its VZOR texture inside the capsule at decoupling now, but it wasnt included in the patch notes so its hard to tell.  

There are a bunch that still need fixing.  

Am I crazy or did they update the texture on the SM-25?  It must've been a stealth change, as I didn't see it in the patch notes.  It now has electrical hazard icons on the outside, and some stripes that I don't think were there in MH 1.0?

MH1.1

8sMfn21.png

MH1.0

49ABEA51C67A10FA67EAC33C9587AE219661C6F2

Edited by klesh

• 3 years later...
On 3/20/2018 at 11:31 AM, klesh said:

Here is another part observation.  I hope these are being seen by the people that count.The doors on the SM-25 do not close, or rather, their closed position has a gap in it towards the aft of the part.  Here you can see it from one angle, and I put a battery in there so you could see the yellow striping inside from another angle.

I presume this gap is not intentional?

capture1.png

Fixed in 1.12.0!  I can't believe it, but I love it!  They actually took care a few of my reported bugs in the 1.12.x line.  Thank you, Squad!

Edited by klesh

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.