Gemini Capsule Nose

Is there a chance we can get the nose to the Gemini capsule? It just looks so wrong as it is now. I was told during the livestream that the nose was too small to be a service bay. Could it be made as small monopropellent tank, docking port or just cosmetic structural piece? I know there are workarounds but none with the same texture as the capsule that I can see.

I could make due with the 0.625m rcs tank being given a texture variant that matches the capsule texture.  2x of those, 4x rcs thrusters, with a ‘chute on the front and it looks like a pretty good approximation.   

On 3/15/2018 at 9:24 AM, klesh said:

I could make due with the 0.625m rcs tank being given a texture variant that matches the capsule texture.  2x of those, 4x rcs thrusters, with a ‘chute on the front and it looks like a pretty good approximation.   

Careful- on top of the nose is a series of chutes stored underneath the docking port- in the same fashion as Apollo (a frequent short coming I see in a lot of Gemini/Apollo builds where people stick the chutes on the sides where on the real vehicles, they were stored inline.

5 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Careful- on top of the nose is a series of chutes stored underneath the docking port- in the same fashion as Apollo (a frequent short coming I see in a lot of Gemini/Apollo builds where people stick the chutes on the sides where on the real vehicles, they were stored inline.

I've since replaced the Mk16 chute on the front and used the Mk2-R slid inside the RCS tranks via the move tool.  Also, 3x tanks looks better than 2.

Bonus points for the Gemini-alike mission flag.

gAai3DK.png

1 minute ago, klesh said:

I've since replaced the Mk16 chute on the front and used the Mk2-R slid inside the RCS tranks via the move tool.  Also, 3x tanks looks better than 2.

Bonus points for the Gemini-alike mission flag.

gAai3DK.png

That'll do. Don't forget there's thrusters on the SM of the Gemini as well.

Ven's Stock Part Revamp has a "Inline RCS Block" that matches Mercury and Gemini style pods very well.  Monoprop tank with low-power thrusters at the top edge.  This pic is with the Porkjet revamped Mk1, which is similar to the new MH Gemini texture.

fKK42K5.png

Ven's is kind of a sprawling mess of models and config files, and not updated even to 1.3 (officially, though it runs in 1.3.1). Haven't tried it at all in 1.4.  But I plan to rework a lot of its parts into properly structured and separated individual folders, one of these days...

5 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Um, no.   Though Gemini could dock, it didn't really have a docking port.  The chutes were inline with the rendezvous section, which contained the docking radar and was pulled away by a drogue.

gemini4.gif
(source)

In Apollo, the parachutes were around the docking tunnel, not inline with it.

natgeo01.jpg

(source)

5 hours ago, DerekL1963 said:

Um, no.   Though Gemini could dock, it didn't really have a docking port.  The chutes were inline with the rendezvous section, which contained the docking radar and was pulled away by a drogue.

gemini4.gif
(source)

In Apollo, the parachutes were around the docking tunnel, not inline with it.

natgeo01.jpg

(source)

Then how did Gemini dock- it’s nose section was certainly involved as it (like Apollo) was the male portion of the docking equipment with the Agnes carrying a female docking adaptor.

21 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Then how did Gemini dock- it’s nose section was certainly involved as it (like Apollo) was the male portion of the docking equipment with the Agnes carrying a female docking adaptor.

Yes, the Agena carried a female docking cone that the Gemini inserted it's nose into.

img123.jpg

(source)

Yeah, the Gemini nose was not a tunnel (nor could it have been). Even if it was, the instruments, etc in the cabin would have been in the way.

For the Mk1-3, or any other Apollo analog, an "inline" chute/docking port really means a coaxial chute, where the docking port is the center section, and the chute is distal to it radially. An inline chute for the Mk1-3 would be the same capsule slope, with a 0.625m spot on top. The chutes would come out from the area that was not the central 0.625m tunnel.

On 3/16/2018 at 12:48 PM, fourfa said:

Ven's Stock Part Revamp has a "Inline RCS Block" that matches Mercury and Gemini style pods very well.  Monoprop tank with low-power thrusters at the top edge.  This pic is with the Porkjet revamped Mk1, which is similar to the new MH Gemini texture.

fKK42K5.png

Ven's is kind of a sprawling mess of models and config files, and not updated even to 1.3 (officially, though it runs in 1.3.1). Haven't tried it at all in 1.4.  But I plan to rework a lot of its parts into properly structured and separated individual folders, one of these days...

Ven's mk1 is a good match for Squad's new Gemini texture.But that's a big mod and like you said the folder structure is a real mess. If he just needs a Gemini nose cone I would go to space dock and pick up the Corvus capsule.Trunk wont work it's a smaller size But the nose looks good And the trunk would fit the MK1. going for the hole program. There are so many good mods you would get part overload. The small trunk won't fit but I think if you search their was a part extras for the original mod that had that cone trunk? You could cfg edit the size to work and just have two parts nose and trunk?    Hey 1.4.1 rated already https://spacedock.info/mod/1405/Corvus CF

Edited by Delbrutis
spelling

5 hours ago, Tyko said:

inline Chutes for Gemini and Mark 1-3 pods would be really helpful.

they sure would.

I really like the new 1-3 just because of the cardinally placed door and built-in RCS... but then I was like... well where the heck do I put the chutes without ruining it? Especially if its got a docking port on the top (and yes, I know you can clip an ejectable port over a parachute but its such an ugly solution).

Kinda wish it had built in chutes or they'd make docking ports with built in chutes.

12 hours ago, MR L A said:

they sure would.

I really like the new 1-3 just because of the cardinally placed door and built-in RCS... but then I was like... well where the heck do I put the chutes without ruining it? Especially if its got a docking port on the top (and yes, I know you can clip an ejectable port over a parachute but its such an ugly solution).

Kinda wish it had built in chutes or they'd make docking ports with built in chutes.

Ven's stock revamp has a great docking port with integrated parachutes

13 hours ago, MR L A said:

I really like the new 1-3 just because of the cardinally placed door and built-in RCS... but then I was like... well where the heck do I put the chutes without ruining it?

Where did you put your chutes on the old 1-3?  Put 'em in the same place on the new 1-3.

17 hours ago, MR L A said:

they sure would.

I've been using the small conical SM on top of the CM, it's a hair wide at the bottom and doesn't have a central core, but it has just enough room for a jr on top and some radial chutes inside.

5 hours ago, DerekL1963 said:

Where did you put your chutes on the old 1-3?  Put 'em in the same place on the new 1-3.

Back when I used the Mk1-2 (a long time ago with any regularity), I used threefold symmetry I think. Ugly. The Mk1-3 makes the radials hard to place from my limited experiments. I'm so used to SSTU, my first MH launch I forgot chutes, expecting them to be built in, lol.

1 hour ago, Capt. Hunt said:

I've been using the small conical SM on top of the CM, it's a hair wide at the bottom and doesn't have a central core, but it has just enough room for a jr on top and some radial chutes inside.

I looked at that too...kind of sad that the part that they said would work with the new pod doesn't actually fit correctly on it  :/  I might take a look at rescaling it

21 minutes ago, tater said:

Back when I used the Mk1-2 (a long time ago with any regularity), I used threefold symmetry I think. Ugly. The Mk1-3 makes the radials hard to place from my limited experiments.

I haven't had any problems attaching them radially...  Here's my standard setup (the drouges are not 4x, but two sets of 2x):

nefbHiCh.png

It does block a bit of the IVA view, but I never use it.

I use Editor Extensions, otherwise stock as far as this setup goes.

Just now, DerekL1963 said:

I haven't had any problems attaching them radially...  Here's my standard setup (the drouges are not 4x, but two sets of 2x):

FWIW, Roverdude said that drogues alone safely land the Mk1-3. Which bothers me, lol.

I 've always wanted an "inline" chute docking port A conical part (frustum of, or with a nose cap that comes off) with a cylinder (docking port and tunnel) with the chutes in the outer bit.

I end up just using the SSTU capsules most of the time, lol. I like the new 2 seater, however.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.