I side with @million_lights in this topic. Maybe it's something Unity-related. That would explain the same issues with the other games on Steam. It could also be a false positive virus definition.

VirusTotal comes out clean, ergo Kaspersky, Norton, all the big anti-virus databases comes out clean. Only Microsoft had problem with it. Either everyone's wrong and Microsoft is right, or Microsoft is wrong and everyone else is right.

I didn't read the full EULA yet, but think about it, what would TT/SQUAD gain from a trojan in their game? Collect telemetry at most, so they can optimize the game better? This is a trusted program we're talking about, not some shady software from a no-name site.

At any case, I don't say that we should throw all caution out the window, but we shouldn't grab the torches and pitchforks just yet. One should think about the risk one's willing to take. I see your point of view @Wrench Head, and I would do the same if KSP came from a shady site.

Yeah, apparently this issue keeps coming back.

For a while, before noticing the Windows Defender alerts, this issue manifested as "The game starts and gets stuck during loading blank screen, without crashing". Maybe some users just experience this and don't notice the windows defender alert. I know I started deleting mods before noticing it.

Between this issue and the science reward bug, I haven't really played the game since I bought the DLC :'(

For my part, I did upload the offending binary to microsoft's site, not sure what else to do, other than wait

Read this or don't, cover your self or don't. All up to you and what you wish to risk. As for the new terms yes I read them but I come from an older group that was taught to read all contracts before we sign them.  http://www.threatexpert.com/report.aspx?md5=2598a942a152dd151e653c76081f9b79 Now this is and older report so know the issue has done some work around by this time, and If we want to go there with Virus checks well I think the community has more than Win Sec.

I'm also finding this issue is ongoing. Some Defender updates stop flagging the file, then further updates flag it again (only upon launch, which stops the game loading but doen't crash it).

I can't be bothered messing around with it anymore, and it is suspicious that it hasn't been resolved by either Mocrosoft or T2.

The lack of any updates to this thread from persons other than players is also concerning IMO, along with the flag suggesting a solution was sorted.

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 7:16 AM, 4721Archer said:

I'm also finding this issue is ongoing. Some Defender updates stop flagging the file, then further updates flag it again (only upon launch, which stops the game loading but doen't crash it).

I can't be bothered messing around with it anymore, and it is suspicious that it hasn't been resolved by either Mocrosoft or T2.

The lack of any updates to this thread from persons other than players is also concerning IMO, along with the flag suggesting a solution was sorted.

It's typical MS-halfassery. Run any of the game executables or any of mod .DLLs (especially ModuleManager, MechJeb and Chatterer) through VirusTotal and you'll see 60+ other malware scanners mark everything clean. 

I finally dumped Defender and installed a third-party anti-virus instead. Problem solved.

On 26/03/2018 at 1:16 PM, 4721Archer said:

For anyone still experiencing this problem sporadically with new virus definitions, please follow the steps recommended by Microsoft to clear cached copies of the virus definitions outlined in the marked answer. We have been monitoring this closely, and can confirm that no further detections have been made by us since performing those steps despite some later sporadic reports.

@Squelch Thank for this "Easter Egg" Now finaly it works!

On ‎29‎.‎03‎.‎2018 at 4:46 PM, Squelch said:

For anyone still experiencing this problem sporadically with new virus definitions, please follow the steps recommended by Microsoft to clear cached copies of the virus definitions outlined in the marked answer. We have been monitoring this closely, and can confirm that no further detections have been made by us since performing those steps despite some later sporadic reports.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.