Kerbal Personnel Parachutes are Wrong..

I see this as a common mistake when people try to re-create modern canopies without doing the research...

maxresdefault.jpg

Ram Air Parachutes are NOT open in the back, they are only open in the front so any forward motion forces the cloth wing to inflate.  

Hi-5_IMG_3163-46-1024x683.jpg

There are also small openings in the ribs between the cells, known as Cross-Porting, to allow a single inflated cell to inflate adjacent cells.

class22.gif

In some BASE canopies there are also small openings on the underside of the canopy to force air into the cells from underneath.  These can help keep the canopy inflated when forward speed is diminished or when the leading edge openings are obstructed.

ec1353a3a2a5b55561e57605544a0a99--ram-.j

USPA: 73415, D: 27172

Edited by DiGiaComTech
Added image of new KSP parachute and additional details.

Would be nice if they added a basic unguided chute to start. With the option to upgrade to the newer model. Also Squad should make the parachute available at start and take away the RCS pack until Kerbals vet up . I would Really like to see them patch the bugs before they worry about the aesthetics of the game. Good catch though! 

Yes ... as they would be considered 'Emergency' parachutes I don't think they would be 'Ram Airs' anyway.  There are pros & cons to both designs.  But thinking about the 'Career' mode in the game (I do have it but am just a newbie), you would probably want to start with the Round parachutes and then level up to more modern designs.

Even with the mistakes it is a pretty cool looking rig :wink:

Edited by DiGiaComTech

There was a mod that added the Para sail chute for the mercury capsule but it was never controllable. Squad should have done that with this model. Yeah the parts are cool. But I was really hoping Squad would fix the career game it was never really finished or balanced right. Hope your not on console. If not worrying about keeping career balanced is a lost cause. Go find some good mods they have some decent tech trees and you can get way better parts. If your on steam just make sure you back up a copy of your game folder and run the game direct from the exe . And just remember to play "way too many good mods" find one you like and keep it simple.  Start at   https://spacedock.info/kerbal-space-program

Or https://kerbal.curseforge.com/

Yes I'm probably very spoiled and ungrateful considering I have had a personal parachute and a ejection seat through the magic of mod's . For oh probably something like three years now  maybe only two?  So here you go   https://spacedock.info/mod/991/EVA Parachutes %26 Ejection Seats  

Now stop winging about not having a parachute and go download it or better yet buy the DLC . :sticktongue:

Edited by Delbrutis
bleh

On 16/03/2018 at 9:22 PM, Farm Buyer said:

well, at least you have the parachutes...

some of you guys find the most petty things to winge about.

Parachutes were there from the beginning, in this world. Gagarin used one, rather than risk landing in the capsule. Rectangular parachutes didn't appear until the 1970s, though I haven't been able to find an exact date.

On 3/15/2018 at 2:02 PM, Delbrutis said:

Would be nice if they added a basic unguided chute to start. With the option to upgrade to the newer model. Also Squad should make the parachute available at start and take away the RCS pack until Kerbals vet up . I would Really like to see them patch the bugs before they worry about the aesthetics of the game. Good catch though! 

the problem with removing the jet packs is that they would have to implement stock tethers and more hand holds, or else astronauts would be completely uncontrollable, especially in the early game before you unlock ladders.  I know you can sort of make tethers with KAS, but it's implementation is kinda hacky and doesn't really obey physics.

I remember the KAS tether and was sad when it went away.  The problem is it would go thru a ship no real colliders. I actually think it would work fine if they limited the length. That KAS part attached to your back and had a little attach point you could move around your ship by hand. I had forgotten about that mod but now that you mention it I think it would work really cool. On early missions I don't think your Kerbals really have any business Going for space walks. A life support pack for ground EVA would be fine . A space walk should be dangerous. With a real risk of floating off forever. Just my opinion but I don't see you really needing the jet pack early career until you vet up.        

Edited by Delbrutis

On 3/20/2018 at 12:28 AM, Delbrutis said:

Yes I'm probably very spoiled and ungrateful considering I have had a personal parachute and a ejection seat through the magic of mod's . For oh probably something like three years now  maybe only two?  So here you go   https://spacedock.info/mod/991/EVA Parachutes %26 Ejection Seats  

Now stop winging about not having a parachute and go download it or better yet buy the DLC:sticktongue:

On 3/20/2018 at 12:28 AM, Delbrutis said:

Would love to as you so subtly put it, "buy the DLC"

you DO know that there is an underclass user base that doesn't have the luxury of ever getting to use "mods" and has no current, or  confirmed planned option to "buy the DLC" 

Right?  

so my point stands... keep complaining about all the good work that Squad does by whining about how the ram air parachutes are backwards, and are anachronistic, and new parts are the wrong color etc. 

you are lucky to have what you have...  enjoy your game.

23 hours ago, Delbrutis said:

I remember the KAS tether and was sad when it went away.  The problem is it would go thru a ship no real colliders. I actually think it would work fine if they limited the length. That KAS part attached to your back and had a little attach point you could move around your ship by hand. I had forgotten about that mod but now that you mention it I think it would work really cool. On early missions I don't think your Kerbals really have any business Going for space walks. A life support pack for ground EVA would be fine . A space walk should be dangerous. With a real risk of floating off forever. Just my opinion but I don't see you really needing the jet pack early career until you vet up.        

Speaking from experience, it wasn't easy learning how to use the jetpack initially.  I remember the first few times I went EVA I completely lost the Kerbal with no hope of rescue, but to start completely without it would have been an even steeper learning curve for many new players.

5 hours ago, Capt. Hunt said:

Speaking from experience, it wasn't easy learning how to use the jetpack initially.  I remember the first few times I went EVA I completely lost the Kerbal with no hope of rescue, but to start completely without it would have been an even steeper learning curve for many new players.

Yeah I lost a few Kerbals in those early days before I got used to the jetpack controls. I remember one time I had to slightly change my orbital plane with Jeb in jetpack in order to save him took me forever and I literally Glided on empty the last 30 ft to the hatch LOL. I was so happy with myself then boom the old ladder catapult bug "HA" I was liquided off didn’t play for about a week. I think your probably right. I just think the chute would be more useful  in the early career for all Kerbals. Let the vets EVA that's what they are there for.

Nice debate Thank's

7 hours ago, Farm Buyer said:

you DO know that there is an underclass user base that doesn't have the luxury of ever getting to use "mods" and has no current, or  confirmed planned option to "buy the DLC" 

Right?  

so my point stands... keep complaining about all the good work that Squad does by whining about how the ram air parachutes are backwards, and are anachronistic, and new parts are the wrong color etc. 

No one was on here complaining about anything until you started. Just a friendly discussion about where a part should go in the game? Sorry your on Console! This is the last Troll feeding for you. That's all I'M going to say.

On 15/3/2018 at 3:45 PM, DiGiaComTech said:

Yes ... as they would be considered 'Emergency' parachutes I don't think they would be 'Ram Airs' anyway.  There are pros & cons to both designs.  But thinking about the 'Career' mode in the game (I do have it but am just a newbie), you would probably want to start with the Round parachutes and then level up to more modern designs.

Even with the mistakes it is a pretty cool looking rig :wink:

Not anymore :)

T8OeN6l.jpg

f2TCvUW.jpg

Thanks for the feedback!

3 minutes ago, ArrrThePirate said:

Not anymore :)

I'll be honest and admit I figured this one would be filed under "close enough" and allowed to remain as it was initially.  Great job with the new look!

23 hours ago, Farm Buyer said:

Right?  

15 hours ago, Delbrutis said:

here complaining about anything until you started. Just a friendly discussion about where a part should go in the game? Sorry your on Console! This is the last Troll feeding for you. That's all I'M going to say.

I haven't fed a troll in a long time.

My watercooled beast back in Aus can run KSP much better, but even this rubbish laptop can run it. Stop complaining cos you wasted money on an overpriced paperweight then more money on an inherently poorer version of the game than I have; and get a real computer :P

• 2 months later...
On 3/28/2018 at 3:22 PM, HebaruSan said:

It's still the old way in GTA5, can you send some feedback up the chain? :wink:

Just for kicks I actually submitted this as feedback to R* support today, who told me to email it to the devs.  We'll see how long it takes them to act on it, if at all.  ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.