Pleasant Surprises

So, what things in Making History come as a pleasant surprise to you?

In my case, it's 2 things:

1. spawning a launchpad wherever you want one, and ?
2. Doing it at the KSC2 location and discovering that in 1.4.1 the entire KSC2 space center has been restored to its pre-1.0 configuration, with correct terrain height and all buildings present and at correct heights. You can even clearly see the "K" in the ground, just like in the old pre-0.23 days.

24 minutes ago, tater said:

How? That I have to ask you tells us all we need to know about the UI.

I should qualify that - within missions. I don't know if you can do it in the base game. Open the Mission Builder, click the "Spawning Nodes" category on the left, and drop a "Spawn Launch Site" node on the canvas. If you click on the latitude or longitude buttons, it will bring up a tiny Kerbin globe (unless you select a different celestial body) which you can left-click on to set the location - and once you've clicked on the map, you can zoom in and out to fine-tune the location.

19 minutes ago, tater said:

Oh, so something I will likely never use.

I have no idea, I'm not you. I wasn't expecting Squad to add that capability to the Mission Builder, so it's a pleasant surprise. So was the F-1 analogue. Hopefully the Mission Builder will be extended to provide the ability to introduce random events in a save game, or to extend some of the capabilities like launchpad spawning. It seems like most of the architecture is already there to do it, since the Mission persistence file is so similar to the one for savegames.

The parts and texture switching is nice to see also, but I was expecting those features after all the youtube coverage of the pending release.

1 hour ago, panarchist said:

So, what things in Making History come as a pleasant surprise to you?

In my case, it's 2 things:

1. spawning a launchpad wherever you want one, and ?
2. Doing it at the KSC2 location and discovering that in 1.4.1 the entire KSC2 space center has been restored to its pre-1.0 configuration, with correct terrain height and all buildings present and at correct heights. You can even clearly see the "K" in the ground, just like in the old pre-0.23 days.

So I don't normally play with the Kerbal-Constructs mod as its a bit of a resource hog. So I have not gone to check out that site in a long time. Do you happen to remember the co-ordinates of the site? I'm really quite surprised that it was not one of the added launch sites with the runway and launch pad being already there and all? As far as surprising new features I have not had time to test it thoroughly so I'm not totally sure it's repeatable? But it looks like saved craft remember what flag you have on them and you can now have mission specific flags. I was messing around with the new parts and I built a N1 replica and a Apollo S5 and gave them flags that look country specific and it looks like when I switch to them in orbit they remember the flag regardless of what I had chose at the VAB last. I'll have to see what happens when they dock?  

2 hours ago, Delbrutis said:

So I don't normally play with the Kerbal-Constructs mod as its a bit of a resource hog. So I have not gone to check out that site in a long time. Do you happen to remember the co-ordinates of the site? I'm really quite surprised that it was not one of the added launch sites with the runway and launch pad being already there and all? As far as surprising new features I have not had time to test it thoroughly so I'm not totally sure it's repeatable? But it looks like saved craft remember what flag you have on them and you can now have mission specific flags. I was messing around with the new parts and I built a N1 replica and a Apollo S5 and gave them flags that look country specific and it looks like when I switch to them in orbit they remember the flag regardless of what I had chose at the VAB last. I'll have to see what happens when they dock? 

launchSiteName = KSC2.1
                                    facility = None
                                    showRamp = False
                                    GROUNDPOINT
                                    {
                                        bodyName = Kerbin
                                        gizmoIcon = LaunchSite
                                        lat = 20.663511276245117
                                        lon = -146.41900634765625
                                        alt = 421.17647230625153
                                        rot = 0,0,15
                                    }

No runway there, though - KSC2 predates the SPH.

Thanks!  I remember visiting the old launch site from way back "could have sworn there was a runway" but I bet I remember that from Kerbal-Constucts  I think they added a bunch of buildings on that site. Anyway thanks for the info. I have not got a chance to dock yet both craft still heading to the moon but ships do appear to save mission flags. that's a small thing that's kind of cool !  

https://imgur.com/RNb4YIr 

And the ship's https://imgur.com/Ne0RtwO

https://imgur.com/YMduo3e

21 hours ago, panarchist said:

I should qualify that - within missions. I don't know if you can do it in the base game. 

They need to add this... it would probably massively help sales.

Sandbox should allow you to place launchpads wherever.

Career mode? Pehraps not.

Perhaps there could be an option in the difficulty settings that when checked would allow something like: after you've got X kerbals in an area and brought part Y / a set of parts [Y], and get them all within radius Z, then you can spawn a launchpad within radius Z.

Then maybe something like all launches from there cost 5x the funds?

11 hours ago, Overfloater said:

The DLC rover wheels are retractable! :o i wish i knew that sooner than halfway through a mission.

They are?!? Awesome!

On 3/15/2018 at 4:00 PM, Delbrutis said:

Thanks!  I remember visiting the old launch site from way back "could have sworn there was a runway" but I bet I remember that from Kerbal-Constucts  I think they added a bunch of buildings on that site. Anyway thanks for the info. I have not got a chance to dock yet both craft still heading to the moon but ships do appear to save mission flags. that's a small thing that's kind of cool !  

https://imgur.com/RNb4YIr 

And the ship's https://imgur.com/Ne0RtwO

https://imgur.com/YMduo3e

Kerbin-side put a runway and other facilities at KSC2/Baikerbanur, and a cool access road that is clearly meant to pivot up to allow rockets to be moved from the VAB to the launchpad. Liked the road, but hated that particular runway.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.