Bug with Kv-2 "Pea" in "Trouble in the Void" mission

klesh

This bug is repeatable in the particular mission, and I am almost sure I have seen it outside the mission such that it is a problem specific to the KV-2 "Pea" under certain circumstances, and/or potentially all of the 3 similar pods.  However, just putting this pod on the launchpad and decoupling the base off will not trigger it.  Has anyone else experienced this, within the mission or outside of it?  I'm keeping an eye out for recreation steps outside of the mission.  Its very easy to recreate within the mission.

When you decouple the pod from it's umbilical and base, the texture used for the little viewfinder thing between your legs in IVA (I don't know its irl name) can be seen floating outside the capsule.  Its very odd too, as it does not rotate in relation to your capsule at all.  It seems to be fixed to a point near to you, but frozen facing a given direction.  Hard to describe.  This is what it looks like:

yUVTKhU.jpg

You can see for yourself by simply firing up the Trouble in the Void mission, and immediately decoupling the pod from the rest of the ship.  The reason I think you can trigger this outside the mission is that I saw it before playing this mission, in the last day or two of messing with the MH expansion, but I don't recall how I got it to happen then either.  More testing to come!

yeah I've seen that happen before; bits from the IVA scene just randomly showing up weird places outside the ship. Usually it means I screwed up in the unity editor and put something on the wrong layer. like in this screenshot here; the pod's interior was supposed to be in layer 16 ("Kerbals") but I left it in the default layer instead, so when i hit "launch" it's just lying there on the runway.

yH3GgHF.jpg

On 3/16/2018 at 4:33 AM, Scoo said:

shame that one can't really zoom in on it in IVA mode.

haha I know right? unfortunately I don't think their current art guy knows how to set up internal camera switches. it's too bad, especially considering the video RAM spent on its RIDICULOUSLY GIGANTIC texture. plus mipmaps!

Okay so I did a bunch of testing with all 3 capsules.  This VZOR phenomenon only happens with the Pea, and only sometimes.  I still have yet to determine why it sometimes happens or doesn't.  At first I thought it was because the Valshkod 2 from the Trouble in the Void mission has the round top part of its umbilical covered by the inflatable airlock.  Perhaps the interaction of the two parts made the VZOR texture pop out.   Turns out you don't need to add any other parts at all, has nothing to do with the mission or the specific craft, Valshkod 2.

Here is my test:

1 Onion, 1 Pea, 1 Pomegranate placed on an angled panel

immediately decouple all 3 at once, all 3 roll off leaving the bug floating up with the umbilical.

50% of the time the bug occurs.  100% of the bug occurring was with the Pea capsule. 

9wXvEpm.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This seems to have been given a stealth-fix in 1.4.2, I don't see it covered in the patch notes (I searched for "Kv-2" and "Pea") though I might've missed it.

I am unable to cause this bug, using the above methods.  Popped the Pea off a panel 10 times and didn't see the bug once.

Anyone else able to get it to happen after the patch?

Edited by klesh

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.