Is it possible to make custom launch sites like Woomerang with the MH expansion?

So as the title says, one of the biggest questions i have about MH is whether its possible to (without extensive modification) add more custom launchsites such as the Woomerang launchpad that was added to the expansion, or is the ability to define custom launchpads exclusive to mission builder and cannot be used in sandbox mode? 

The reason i ask is that im contemplating getting the DLC, and that the one thing im seriously hyped about with the DLC is the ability to have new launchpads, Id just love to know whether its possible to configure it in such a way that I can easily (say with a config file edit) add more launchsites on my own choosing by selecting a planet and picking a set of coordinates.  Id really love to get rid of kerbin constructs and extraplanetary launchpads as they are buggy, laggy, and generally hard to work with, but if the DLC doesnt let me actually add new launchsites myself on say Duna or whatever body of my choosing, then there really isnt much worthwhile content for me since i play sandbox exclusively (yeah, i have an imagination and prefer to define my own objectives, limitations, and methods of playing the game).

8 hours ago, panzer1b said:

is the ability to define custom launchpads exclusive to mission builder and cannot be used in sandbox mode?

Correct.  You can place them anywhere, but they are only available for that mission.  The only thing from the expansion you will find in sandbox is the parts from the "History Pack".

tumblr_inline_p3r4zaHfV01rr2wit_540.png

Can you save in the middle of a mission?

Can you fly multiple craft in a mission?

Could you make a mission with the extra launchpad, and the mission is essentially: play sandbox?

It seems sandbox allows the use of the 2nd launchsite, so I don't see why there can't be a relatively simple mod to add more launch site options...

Edited by KerikBalm

Well, its good that its easy to mod in, but it would have been better if it was already included as a sandbox feature.

I guess this feature only works for VAB launches... but it would also be pretty cool if there were a runway feature

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2018 at 6:15 AM, KerikBalm said:

Well, its good that its easy to mod in, but it would have been better if it was already included as a sandbox feature.

I guess this feature only works for VAB launches... but it would also be pretty cool if there were a runway feature

I second that.  The game has desperately needed the ability to add more launch sites and runways for some time now- and runways in particular really ought to have been included in this expansion...

Better yet, a toolkit to allow players to add multiple different building-types (using the models for the existing buildings in-game, plus making the runway segments individually peaceable), including runway segments, using the Mission Builder.  That way players could, for instance, build a longer/wider runway than the KSC one out in a desert somewhere for a Scenario...

If players can build missions that essentially become a custom Sandbox setup (i.e. players can keep playing after any objectives are complete, take contracts, etc.) this become a even more useful...  If they can't, they should be able to.

Adding launch sites is, besides the 5 meter rocket parts, really the only thing in this expansion I consider worth buying.  But right now it seems like a half-finished idea that could have been so much more...

Edited by Northstar1989

• 1 month later...
On 3/17/2018 at 10:04 PM, JPLRepo said:

Yes mods could add launch sites to any game mode. It is probably only a matter of time before some mods do this. But they only work if the Making History Expansion is installed.

May I ask how? Can it be done through configs, or is a custom plugin needed?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.