[1.5.0 <-> 1.8.1] Kerbalism v3.2

N70

3 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

perhaps this could be taken into account by PartUpgrade? Just decrease the pod's mass by the amount of mass the max shielding would add as soon as the tech tree node is unlocked?

Perhaps also the part should default to max. shielding then, not to no shielding .

My opinion is to reduce shielding mass through the tech tree. If you think about modern tech, the only thing it has really done in decades is make current tech smaller and lighter. I'm sure when they send people to mars the shielding won't be lead plates and/or water tanks. It will likely be some high tech composite.

I did find out that 50% shielding on the 2.5m crew pod still floats with a 2.5m heat shield, parachute, and some other small parts. If there was a way to dump the shielding, that would also be a solution to the floating problem without getting rid of the mass penalty for shielding(which I think is fine). Also, comfortable landing looks like an excellent mod and will probably solve my buoyancy issues. I never knew it existed, thanks for the suggestion.

21 minutes ago, AngrybobH said:

If there was a way to dump the shielding

Well, a kerbalized way would be

• Pod gets hot on reentry, right? At least to some kind.
  • Well, lead melts when it's hot.
  • Dump it during reentry, some melted and re-congealed lead droplets will rain over the surface, but who cares?

:P

Buoyancy doesn't seem to be realistic in KSP anyway, so why not just increasing the buoyancy value of the mk1 pod? There is an entry for buoyancy in the original part config file and increasing the stock value of 1.5 to 2 (maybe less is possible aswell) will result in a mk1 pod which is capable to float even with full shield, food, water, etc.

6 hours ago, Maeyanie said:

Apollo missions really don't need much shielding, they're only out for a few days. Even Minmus isn't THAT far away.

Only time you start needing a ton of shielding is if you're going on interplanetary trips and expect to be out there for months, if not years. And even then, you could just have the re-entry capsule unshielded so it floats, the part of the vessel which doesn't have to land can be as heavy as it needs.

Honestly, I'm fine with the capsule weight balance the way it is, it's never been a significant problem for me. Just have to design with it in mind.

This is how it should be done, the weights of the pods are going to remain as they are.

10 hours ago, Maeyanie said:

Apollo missions really don't need much shielding, they're only out for a few days. Even Minmus isn't THAT far away.

also Apollo flights mostly flew *over* the Van Allen belts and skipped the most hazardous areas of radiation. So anyone worried about radiation near Kerbin should take trajectory planning into account

Edited by Drew Kerman

I have a strange observation which seems to be related to this mod. I have a probe landed on Minmus and perform a gravity scan (with the gravioli thingy) - Instead of receiving the science result, I get an "error" message saying that this experiment can't be done right now. Even stranger: When using the same gravioli detector which comes with the universal storage package, the error says that this experiment can't be done during atmospheric flight (I'm neither flying nor does Minmus have an atmosphere). The x-science addon "confirms" that gravity scans can only be done during flight, but not on the surface of minmus.

I would have expected that this error is associated to Dmagic or something else. But when I remove the Kerbalism addon, the behaviour returns to normal. This is reproducible.

Has this been observed by anyone? Is it a feature? Any idea where I could gather further debug information? I couldn't find any related post within this topic.

Edited by Maestro22
Additional observation:x-science readout

@Maestro22 I have not noticed that but I haven't used Kerbalism for very long(under 2 weeks on new career) but, I have noticed that Kerbalism does some very strange things various science parts. For instance, experiments capable of multiple samples only can gather one. The DMagic little or big brother recon telescopes are supposed to take 2(4 for big) pictures before a reset. Kerbalism breaks this behavior and will only allow one, which makes parts like the double materials lab part useless.

42 minutes ago, AngrybobH said:

Kerbalism breaks this behavior and will only allow one, which makes parts like the double materials lab part useless.

Hmm, I guess this was the "weird feeling" I had when using these parts ...

So I was not crazy, I just didn't pinpoint what's happening :D

On 6/2/2018 at 8:11 PM, PiezPiedPy said:

Does this happen every time you load KSP ? If so all I can suggest is delete Kerbalism from your GameData folder and reinstall.

Also this can sometimes happen if you move out of the KSP window (say with Alt-Tab or similar) while it is loading.

Yes, every time. 

Tried reinstalling from CKAN, and removing from CKAN altogether and installing from a non-CKAN download.

Also tried staying in-window and not alt-tabbing. No dice.

On 6/4/2018 at 9:44 PM, Gordon Dry said:

@AngrybobH Yes, there are still some quirks, most of them mod incompatibilities or better said - missing mod integration patches.

• as you said, it lacks the recognition of background processing of anything that is not native Kerbalism
  • same goes to RealBattery, which also uses background processing, in focus it's okay but out of focus the batteries get empty, CO2 levels rise and Kerbals just die

I can't speak for RealBattery, but the pre-1.4.x versions of Kerbalism did automate the Universal Storage fuel cell. Even when not focused. I assume it worked for the other parts too. It's a real shame the current version doesn't work with it, as the US parts are great. How difficult would it be to patch?

1 hour ago, joacobanfield said:

How does humidity work? What increases and reduces it? How can I keep it at non-lethal levels?

In simple words; it's like the humidity of the atmosphere inside the capsule/station is rising up to 100% (dew point, duh!), every surface, every motherboard, everything will start to condensate the water from the air if the surface is slightly colder than the air, Kerbals sweat like hell, hand palms slip from the controller, short circuits occur, the air filters stop working because they're soaked ... you will not survive this for long.

You need the Humidity Controller, either built in (depends how far into career you are), or external (same, the external part is available earlier in career than the built in module count increase).

Problem is; in early career you can only have short missions, you have to come back to the surface before the humidity becomes being a problem.

When you only have two slots available in a pod in early career, you should use the scrubber and the pressure control - you could use the humidity controller instead of one of them, but then you have to fight the consequences (rising co² levels vs. no pressure, which means "helmets on the whole mission").

Edited by Gordon Dry

5 hours ago, joacobanfield said:

How does humidity work? What increases and reduces it? How can I keep it at non-lethal levels?

3 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

When you only have two slots available in a pod in early career, you should use the scrubber and the pressure control - you could use the humidity controller instead of one of them, but then you have to fight the consequences (rising co² levels vs. no pressure, which means "helmets on the whole mission").

My personal solution to this has been the Tantares Soyuz parts. I have the scrubber and humidity parts in the main capsule, and the pressurization in the orbital module.

It's worth noting that the humidity module has to be enough for all the Kerbals you have along, so putting it in the orbital module (which has a lower crew capacity) will still kill everyone eventually. I may have found this out the hard way. :/

I'm having a bug where I am unable to get rid of humidity. Is this something someone has run into before? 

I'm not seeing anything in my tech tree about humidity control (?)

I figured out my humidity issues!

You have to configure which life support units you want in individual pods. 

When you right click on a pod it will say 'Configure Pod' which lets you choose 2 of 4 options, "Scrubber, Pressure Control, Humidity Control and Water Recycler"

When you unlock the external ECLSS part you can also choose these options so you can have all four. Still testing so I don't know if you can have a ship with two and two and if it will work. 

Edited by Asclepia

Has anyone managed to patch together a version that gets sspx to work with kerbalism 1.4.3 for ksp 1.3.1. I've tried using 1.5 and 1.6 with 1.3.1 and they each have there own problems, taking parts from the new versions and putting them in v1.4.3 hasn't helped. You can probably tell I don't know what I'm doing, was hoping someone could point me in the direction of a patch.

@Daedalus451 @Kozakh What setting have you got your textures set to ( Main Menu / Settings / Graphics / Texture Quality) , Have you tried changing UI scales in game, also there are options for changing UI scale in the GameData/Kerbalism/Settings.cfg file, have you tried changing those.

Could you upload your output.log file if messing with UI settings does not fix things.

Edited by PiezPiedPy

Just a heads up for everyone of a know issue.

CO2 production from breathing and nitrogen for pressurization are not working correctly, they have an abnormally high output rate, observable by turning the scrubber and/or pressure control off and watching how fast the outputs rise. :blink:

So be careful what Life Support modules you configure in your command pods.

16 hours ago, oslowa said:

Has anyone managed to patch together a version that gets sspx to work with kerbalism 1.4.3 for ksp 1.3.1. I've tried using 1.5 and 1.6 with 1.3.1 and they each have there own problems, taking parts from the new versions and putting them in v1.4.3 hasn't helped. You can probably tell I don't know what I'm doing, was hoping someone could point me in the direction of a patch.

There is a Backport for 1.3.1 on GitLab https://gitlab.com/N70/Kerbalism/tree/backport-1.3.1 no idea what version it is, its a few months old.

Edited by PiezPiedPy

@TheAnonymous Don't know how you've managed that lol. I would delete the GameData/Kerbalism folder and install again.

2LLcAob.png
Should look more like this
Edit: I'm thinking you may have multiple copies of Kerbalism installed somehow.
Your folders should look like this
zjD2ZWs.png
Edited by PiezPiedPy

2 hours ago, PiezPiedPy said:

@Daedalus451 @Kozakh What setting have you got your textures set to ( Main Menu / Settings / Graphics / Texture Quality) , Have you tried changing UI scales in game, also there are options for changing UI scale in the GameData/Kerbalism/Settings.cfg file, have you tried changing those.

Could you upload your output.log file if messing with UI settings does not fix things.

@PiezPiedPyI've been using 130% scaled UI and 120% scaled application icons (i have ultrawide monitor). I tried setting game UI setting to 100% for both, as well as keeping UI at 130% in game and setting scaling to 0.8 in Kerbalism config file - no difference, icons are still missing. Texture quality is set to max.

What is the best way to provide you output.log (i assume you mean KSP.log in main folder, since all my output.log files seem to be quite old)? Should I upload it to some filestorage and send you the link? Sorry, I'm new to this forums.

BTW, I see a lot of errors like

[EXC 04:12:55.342] FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'BackgroundResources, Version=1.4.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.
I don't know what is this connected to though, since I have quite a lot of mods installed. 

@PiezPiedPy I'm actually testing the https://github.com/steamp0rt/Kerbalism/pull/48

I not only replaced the dll but also the changed

and in SPC I see this after game start for about a minute:
uuZzXna.png

For whatever reason only the lander on Minmus which is an abandoned prototype with no EC left has a connection ... :P

I'm not sure if this was a "one time conversion because mod changed" or if this will happen on each game load, or even worse, on each scene change...
I will see and report back about this.

Update: on next game launch this did not occur, so I guess it was a "one time conversion because mod changed".

btw there is no exception thrown by Kerbalism or AntennaHelper - until now :cool:

After about a minute passed, the readout changed to something more satisfying:
AzyUBTZ.pngTCmEjpD.pngYsr2hGI.png

qR9VRzM.pngZqIBRvH.pngAtaunK6.png

lupBhLW.pngBc7ocXi.pngXfEdzgi.png

hywBwhD.png

btw the scrollbar is a little annoying, there is no more entry, my UI is set to 100% but the Apps Scale slider is set to 85%.

Edited by Gordon Dry