[1.5.0 <-> 1.8.1] Kerbalism v3.2

N70

Just downloaded and tried the build #100.

I have the same issues some other users posted above even with this build: the Kerbalism windows don't show up (e.g. Data or Configure Pod, the list of vessels etc.), and zooming with the mouse wheel stops working after trying to open a Kerbalism window.

Any thoughts? Do you need my log file?

2 hours ago, dymanoid said:

Just downloaded and tried the build #100.

I have the same issues some other users posted above even with this build: the Kerbalism windows don't show up (e.g. Data or Configure Pod, the list of vessels etc.), and zooming with the mouse wheel stops working after trying to open a Kerbalism window.

Any thoughts? Do you need my log file?

That was a PR build, try https://jenkins.spaceball.cf/job/Kerbalism/104/artifact/Kerbalism.zip

3 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

@N70 what happened to
GameData\Kerbalism\Parts\InlineContainer250\kerbalism-container-inline-375.cfg
and
GameData\Kerbalism\Parts\RadialContainer\kerbalism-container-radial-huge.cfg ?

Inside the latest 1.5.1.105 they're missing.

Looking at https://gitlab.com/N70/Kerbalism/commits/master

The last commit on master points to https://gitlab.com/N70/Kerbalism/commit/fe9f02f73e6165e1984f222a1f540254c38f7ae3/pipelines via green check mark

Following pipeline number https://gitlab.com/N70/Kerbalism/pipelines/21154661

Following jenkins link: https://jenkins.spaceball.cf/job/Kerbalism/104/

Conclusion: 105 is not master but probably an pull request which does not contain these changes yet, please use a master based build.

I've got a number of questions for which I couldn't find an answer yet. I'm combining Kerbalism 1.5.0 with SSPXr, KCT, ETT, RT (and some other common mods that probably don't have an impact on the topics of my questions.)

1. I see that Nitrogen is used for Pressure Control and understand the physical background of it. However I observe that the consumption ration of different parts seems to be very different. Specifically, once I extended my first space station with a few SSPXr parts, the Nitrogen reserves were drained within few hours. Is this intended? Or is it part of the mentioned "SSPXr fine-tuning" which still needs to be done?
  2. When pressure control is running fine, I observe that it seems to have a targeted optimum pressure. This however seems to be different in different vessels. Is this intended? I would expect that real vessel try to keep an atmospheric pressure similar to earth.
  3. I see that the chemical plant can be configured for different chemical processes. Is there an overview of all the resource conversion processes like for MKS here?
  4. I didn't yet unlock the laboratory, but I understand that the conversion of sample data into science is different from stock. Is there a description for it somewhere? Or is it trivial (bring the samples to the space station with the lab, select "flag for analysis" and watch the conversion)?
  5. The SSPXr PFD-C Coriolis Centrifuge shows the "firm ground" effect, but doesn't spin. Any idea where to search for a possible reason?

Thank you in advance for any answered question.

Edited by Maestro22

2 hours ago, Maestro22 said:

I've got a number of questions for which I couldn't find an answer yet. I'm combining Kerbalism 1.5.0 with SSPXr, KCT, ETT, RT (and some other common mods that probably don't have an impact on the topics of my questions.)

1. I see that Nitrogen is used for Pressure Control and understand the physical background of it. However I observe that the consumption ration of different parts seems to be very different. Specifically, once I extended my first space station with a few SSPXr parts, the Nitrogen reserves were drained within few hours. Is this intended? Or is it part of the mentioned "SSPXr fine-tuning" which still needs to be done?
  2. I see that the chemical plant can be configured for different chemical processes. Is there an overview of all the resource conversion processes like for MKS here?
  3. I didn't yet unlock the laboratory, but I understand that the conversion of sample data into science is different from stock. Is there a description for it somewhere? Or is it trivial (bring the samples to the space station with the lab, select "flag for analysis" and watch the conversion)?
  4. The SSPXr PFD-C Coriolis Centrifuge shows the "firm ground" effect, but doesn't spin. Any idea where to search for a possible reason?

Thank you in advance for any answered question.

Hi @Maestro22.  

1. Pressure control is dependant on the surface area for leakage rates and the volume area of the part.  As an inflatable part is inflated and habitat is turned on the atmosphere has to be generated which may take a couple of hours and so that's where your nitrogen reserves are going.

2. I don't think so unless it's in the Kerbalism wiki.

3. I can't answer as I don't use kerbalism science nor the stock science laboratory.

4. Not yet comparable with sspx. Kerbalism 1.5.1 will be.

Peace.

3 hours ago, Maestro22 said:
  1. I didn't yet unlock the laboratory, but I understand that the conversion of sample data into science is different from stock. Is there a description for it somewhere? Or is it trivial (bring the samples to the space station with the lab, select "flag for analysis" and watch the conversion)?

The lab in Kerbalism doesn't generate free science like in stock; it does convert samples into 100% transmissible science.  It is currently a bit underpowered as a result; ShotgunNinja was planning to add some special science experiments to it.

10 hours ago, lordcirth said:

The lab in Kerbalism doesn't generate free science like in stock; it does convert samples into 100% transmissible science.  It is currently a bit underpowered as a result; ShotgunNinja was planning to add some special science experiments to it.

That's definitely something the mod needs. Even the idea of what you call "free" science is better than this. Why should I ever build a space station with a lab in the current situation? I could simply land the samples. Sure, not on other planes. But even then it would make sense if a lab would "upgrade" those samples and make "more" out of it. Sure, it's not really true in real life that a temperature scan analysis in orbit does give you more information. But how would you simulate the benefits of a lab otherwise? I like the idea how it's done in the stock labs.

1 hour ago, Rudolf Meier said:

That's definitely something the mod needs. Even the idea of what you call "free" science is better than this. Why should I ever build a space station with a lab in the current situation? I could simply land the samples. Sure, not on other planes. But even then it would make sense if a lab would "upgrade" those samples and make "more" out of it. Sure, it's not really true in real life that a temperature scan analysis in orbit does give you more information. But how would you simulate the benefits of a lab otherwise? I like the idea how it's done in the stock labs.

The stock way is certainly simple; although I think 5x is far too overpowered.  You can max the stock tech tree effortlessly once you get the lab.  (Then again, it's not *that* hard without it).  Currently, yes, there's little point to a lab in Kerbalism.  That's a known issue that Shotgunninja had on his list to fix.  One thing he was planning was to add experiments that could be swapped in and out, like a chemical plant.  Some would require a scientist, some an engineer, giving them a purpose other than waiting around for something to break.  Engineers could also swap experiments in flight once done.  While that's more work to implement, I think it's a cool idea.

1 hour ago, Rudolf Meier said:

Not having used science (as I don't like data transmission rates).   I like the idea of being able to use the lab not for 'free science' but for when I heed off interplanetary where it takes time to return samples back to Kerbin.

I think perhaps that a timed science contract similar to the Research Bodies could be used with a unique research contract?  Is there not already a mod that does some thing similar.  This contract could be a one off 'like a world first' though... a 'landed' low space and high space.  Requires a certain number of scientists present on the station with the lab to fulfil the contract.  

Peace.

EDIT - this timed idea may not be hard to implement.

Have a process that can be switched on and off (like the scrubber), which uses EC to produce a kerbalism pseudo resource. But only when a scientist or two is present.  Have a contract that requires a certain in amount of the pseudo resource to be present to complete the contract gives Science.

Or is the Kerbalism contract to have a kerbal is space for 30 days able to be configured for requiring scientists and a lab? (or is this a stock contract?).

Edited by theJesuit

In regards to the post above, this behaviour should be straight forward to setup with Contract Configurator looking through its wiki - I might add this kind of behaviour to Kerbalism Simplex when I get round to sorting out the EPL stuff - it's a real life time issue ultimately.

Peace.

9 hours ago, lordcirth said:

The stock way is certainly simple; although I think 5x is far too overpowered.

It is not that overpowered, when you thnink that stock doesn't have that many science modules. The lab only becomes overpowered because of all those mods providing new science (sometimes too easy). And then putting this into a lab is even worse...

9 hours ago, lordcirth said:

One thing he was planning was to add experiments that could be swapped in and out, like a chemical plant. Some would require a scientist, some an engineer, giving them a purpose other than waiting around for something to break. Engineers could also swap experiments in flight once done. While that's more work to implement, I think it's a cool idea.

That's also my favored solution.

I would do it the other way. Everithing that is something physical like goo and material science only provide data and you have to convert that data into science first. 

And stock has way too much science. I play with 40 percent now and there is still barley any need to left kerbin soi

Edited by SchitzoSchaf

2 hours ago, SchitzoSchaf said:

I would do it the other way. Everithing that is something physical like goo and material science only provide data and you have to convert that data into science first. 

then labs in Kerbin orbit are useless... returning the samples is much easier

3 hours ago, Rudolf Meier said:

then labs in Kerbin orbit are useless... returning the samples is much easier

No thats not my point. That experiments should give only date that you first have to process in an lab to get any science. Like everithing that gives only minor infos like temp or pressure... Science everything that involves materials you have to bring back only give data->lab - > recoverable science

30 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

Could it be possible to integrate Kerbalism with asteroid recycling technologies so that the asteroid acts as a massive radiation shield? Just curious and suggesting 

Well, the first step would be to add support for AST to create habitats ( probably the hard part). Oh, apparently it does. So one would just need to add a special case where they have 200% shielding or something.

Edited by lordcirth

@N70 @AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures

A question about radiation belts.

When using OPM some OPM planets show radiation belts.

But the ExtraSolar planets don't show radiation belts at all.

Is this because 1. or 2. ?

1. radiation belts are always triggered by the stock sun, no matter in which "solar system" a planet resides - so if the planet is very far away of the stock sun no radiation belt can be created
  2. radiation belts are edited in configs manually by the dev of the planet pack, so ExtraSolar just does not have these patches

24 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

@N70 @AndrewDrawsPrettyPictures

A question about radiation belts.

When using OPM some OPM planets show radiation belts.

But the ExtraSolar planets don't show radiation belts at all.

Is this because 1. or 2. ?

1. radiation belts are always triggered by the stock sun, no matter in which "solar system" a planet resides - so if the planet is very far away of the stock sun no radiation belt can be created
  2. radiation belts are edited in configs manually by the dev of the planet pack, so ExtraSolar just does not have these patches

I believe it is 2.  But the belt 'tail' points away from the sun, so that may be an issue around other stars.

Peace.

55 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

Could you teach me a few things about filming in KSP? Also please be gentle, I am still healing from Infinity War.

<puts on pastoral, concerned voice> did you put this in the wrong forum perchance?

Peace... and a pat on the back.