[1.5.0 <-> 1.8.1] Kerbalism v3.2

N70

How far down into the atmosphere is the radiation belt supposed to go?

I currently am flying a plane at 7990m to the northern ice caps for some science and I received a warning about crossing the radiation belt. Rads are climbing. At this moment rads are over 0.08 r/s. Is this normal?

57 minutes ago, AngrybobH said:

How far down into the atmosphere is the radiation belt supposed to go?

I currently am flying a plane at 7990m to the northern ice caps for some science and I received a warning about crossing the radiation belt. Rads are climbing. At this moment rads are over 0.08 r/s. Is this normal?

yes, it's normal. Go into map view and press 2 on the numpad to see the outer belt visualization, which extends down into the atmosphere at the poles

6 minutes ago, njbrown09 said:

help. my kerbals keep getting too humid and electrocuted

You need to either add a Humidity Controller or shorten your missions.

Tried reading through didn’t see anybody mention it. Don’t know if it’s issue with Kerbalism or SSTU- any non active vessels with SSTU solar panels no longer have perpetual battery power and they will deplete. Once it’s active vessel- it says perpetual again? Any thoughts- should I ask in SSTU forum too? Under settings.cfg tracking pivot=true

7 hours ago, Firemahn said:

Tried reading through didn’t see anybody mention it. Don’t know if it’s issue with Kerbalism or SSTU- any non active vessels with SSTU solar panels no longer have perpetual battery power and they will deplete. Once it’s active vessel- it says perpetual again? Any thoughts- should I ask in SSTU forum too? Under settings.cfg tracking pivot=true

I think I'm having a similar problem with the Universal Storage Alkaline Fuel Cell. My batteries stop charging once I no longer have the vessel active.Go to your vessel and open up the normal Kerbalism GUI. Middle click on "auto" at the bottom to see all the devices/components on the vessel. You can turn these on and off through the menu. I do not see the Alkaline Fuel Cells and you probably do not see the SSTU solar panels? I'm not sure, just guessing. So the question is.. Is there a way to add these devices so that Kerbalism recognizes them? I don't know the answer to that. :(

21 minutes ago, smckamey19 said:

I think I'm having a similar problem with the Universal Storage Alkaline Fuel Cell. My batteries stop charging once I no longer have the vessel active.Go to your vessel and open up the normal Kerbalism GUI. Middle click on "auto" at the bottom to see all the devices/components on the vessel. You can turn these on and off through the menu. I do not see the Alkaline Fuel Cells and you probably do not see the SSTU solar panels? I'm not sure, just guessing. So the question is.. Is there a way to add these devices so that Kerbalism recognizes them? I don't know the answer to that. :(

Yeah i checked and parts do not show up under devices. Good call. Now how to get them there...

@-MadMan- No, transmission data rates where fixed to 64Kb/s in previous versions since the removal of the old signal system which was not an ideal situation, science transmission data rate is now calculated from the stock antenna rates and signal strengths, check the packet data rates of antennas in the VAB or SPH.

48 minutes ago, PiezPiedPy said:

@-MadMan- No, transmission data rates where fixed to 64Kb/s in previous versions since the removal of the old signal system which was not an ideal situation, science transmission data rate is now calculated from the stock antenna rates and signal strengths, check the packet data rates of antennas in the VAB or SPH.

thnx. now i understand how it works

I didn't find any way to mute warnings about unreachability for a vessel, especially without muting everything. I'm playing with very limited comms, and the autopause for going into / out of comm range is unfortunate.

A look in the source and changelog shows that messages may be muted with CTRL-N. But that seems to be global. I'm looking to mute specific warnings on a vessel, like "I know comms are down, but still tell me if my kerbals are suffocating".

Am I missing something? Or is it not implemented? If not, I might have a go at a patch, though it'll be my first non-trivial KSP work and C# coding, so we'll see. (I also want to teach MechJeb how to lock the controls when out of comms range, so maybe this'd be a good starting point before I try getting my hands really dirty in MechJeb).

22 minutes ago, ringerc said:

I didn't find any way to mute warnings about unreachability for a vessel, especially without muting everything. I'm playing with very limited comms, and the autopause for going into / out of comm range is unfortunate.

A look in the source and changelog shows that messages may be muted with CTRL-N. But that seems to be global. I'm looking to mute specific warnings on a vessel, like "I know comms are down, but still tell me if my kerbals are suffocating".

Am I missing something? Or is it not implemented? If not, I might have a go at a patch, though it'll be my first non-trivial KSP work and C# coding, so we'll see. (I also want to teach MechJeb how to lock the controls when out of comms range, so maybe this'd be a good starting point before I try getting my hands really dirty in MechJeb).

Kerbalism menu -> craft name -> CFG tab -> uncheck it.

Hi, so, I couldn't see a reference to this in the thread, but it might very well be that I'm blind.

I've got Kerbalism at the moment and I really like it, but I'm also playing with the Pathfinder mod, the one with all the inflatables.

I pumped up a massive dome earlier, but realized it had about 1 square metre of living space. Checked this both in and outside of the Spaceplane Hangar, no change.

Is there something I've missed? A config, the order of install? (Kerbalism then Pathfinder, just for the record)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

On 6/21/2018 at 12:04 PM, lordcirth said:

Kerbalism menu -> craft name -> CFG tab -> uncheck it.

Thanks for that. I'd given that a go already, but all I see is

"connection in progress... connection timed out"

in the "[spacecraft name] VESSEL CONFIG" menu that appears.

Maybe you can't mute it without being able to talk to it o_O?

10 minutes ago, ringerc said:

Thanks for that. I'd given that a go already, but all I see is

"connection in progress... connection timed out"

in the "[spacecraft name] VESSEL CONFIG" menu that appears.

Maybe you can't mute it without being able to talk to it o_O?

Exactly, yes.  That whole tab goes blank if you don't have a connection.  Once you do, however, there's lots of handy options.

@KarmaLarma There is no support for Wild Blue Industries yet so there will be missing Habitat Modules in the parts, hence Kerbalism will be trying to estimate the parts volume via the parts bounding box, which will probably be deflated when it does so, meaning the volume will be smaller than an inflated part.

anyone out there want to create a support file. :ph34r:

@Gordon Dry Good point

What should I do to make interplanetery manned missions possible?

With 100% shielding and radiation shield, my greenhouse does not work and my crew dies. Yes, I have a nuclear engine - are low-tech chemical ones the only option? Or am I missing something essential?

6 minutes ago, tarkhil said:

What should I do to make interplanetery manned missions possible?

With 100% shielding and radiation shield, my greenhouse does not work and my crew dies. Yes, I have a nuclear engine - are low-tech chemical ones the only option? Or am I missing something essential?

To clarify:

• You have 100% (20mm pb) shielding on every crew component?  The planner shows 20mm pb for the craft?
  • The greenhouse doesn't work at all, or is slow?  Does it show an error?  It's open, on, and powered?
  • What's the projected radiation survival time in planner?  Does what happens differ?
  • Are you using the stock LV-N, more than one, or a modded engine?

Thanks.  Also note that Shotgunninja was considering disabling LV-N emitted radiation until he could add better options for dealing with it.  So you could just do that.

Edited by lordcirth

24 minutes ago, lordcirth said:

You have 100% (20mm pb) shielding on every crew component?  The planner shows 20mm pb for the craft?

Do I need to shield ALL components to protect ANY? I'm using modded engines, yes. Disabling engines radiations - ok, will do next time.

1 minute ago, tarkhil said:

Do I need to shield ALL components to protect ANY? I'm using modded engines, yes. Disabling engines radiations - ok, will do next time.

Radiation protection is averaged across all enabled habitat's surface area.  Check the planner under Radiation to see what your effective shielding is.  0% is 0mm and 100% is 20mm Pb.  You will want 100% for interplanetary.

@PiezPiedPy Ah bummer, that's a shame. I was really looking forward to pairing these mods up. I've located a user-made patch for it here, but it was made a couple of years ago so it'll be a miracle if it still works. If not, I'm no programmer but I'll see if I can't give it a good solid kick, get it working. Thanks for your help!

@tarkhil The Greenhouse is intended to support 0.5 Kerbal based on design targets from the Prototype Lunar Greenhouse  https://www.ag.arizona.edu/lunargreenhouse/MidReviews.html so you will need 2 Greenhouses per Kerbal for them to survive 210 days, each harvest is every 200 days. Also remember to have Food for the 200 days before harvest, approx.1325 units per Kerbal.