[1.5.0 <-> 1.8.1] Kerbalism v3.2

N70

21 minutes ago, JayPee said:

okay.  My kerbalism installed through CKAN didnt work.

I uninstalled it in CKAN, deleted the Kerbalism folder from GameData, reinstalled 1.9.0 from spacedock.

started up KSP again, i still dont see my kerbalism icons in my game, either in space center or VAB/SPH.

what did i do wrong.  ;.;

i checked back on this thread to sept 4th and didn't see a clear solution besides "reinstall from github/spacedock."

Did you install the proper version? I mean either 1.3 or 1.4?

14 hours ago, LateError said:

Hi there, just wanted to say this mod is fantastic. KSP isn't worth playing without it anymore. Balancing all the systems for a Duna mission was a great challenge.

Kerbalism Duna Mission

Whow. Just... whow.

What a mission. What I've done so far doesn't even come close, heck it's not even in the same ballpark!

14 hours ago, LateError said:

I do have one criticism. Radiation is currently far too difficult to manage for long missions. Even with 20mm of lead on all my craft, I was barely able to survive a round trip to Duna. A ship to Laythe would need to be 90% active shields. Inflatables are simply unusable since they don't have the option to add additional shielding. Something seems very off to me, especially with nearly an inch of lead lining my craft.

Perhaps add the ability to add shielding to reactors/nuclear engines to mitigate the emissive radiation factor, or at least make a concession to gameplay so that manned missions beyond Duna are even possible.

I think that you're probably right. I've just started a new career with lifetime radiation turned on (Kerbals won't heal from radiation poisoning when they're recovered on kerbin) mainly to see how radiation affects a Kerbal during an early career with a few trips to orbit, mun and minmus. Also I'm tinkering with an idea that will provide a medical unit that can cure kerbals on board of a vessel (the link @PiezPiedPy posted above), you'll then be able to include a sick bay on your interstellar missions, or run 'hospitals' in LKO.

23 hours ago, LateError said:

Hi there, just wanted to say this mod is fantastic. KSP isn't worth playing without it anymore. Balancing all the systems for a Duna mission was a great challenge.

Kerbalism Duna Mission

I do have one criticism. Radiation is currently far too difficult to manage for long missions. Even with 20mm of lead on all my craft, I was barely able to survive a round trip to Duna. A ship to Laythe would need to be 90% active shields. Inflatables are simply unusable since they don't have the option to add additional shielding. Something seems very off to me, especially with nearly an inch of lead lining my craft.

Perhaps add the ability to add shielding to reactors/nuclear engines to mitigate the emissive radiation factor, or at least make a concession to gameplay so that manned missions beyond Duna are even possible.

Before he left, Shotgunninja did mention that he was considering disabling emissives while he worked on making a fancier radiation model that would allow things like distancing emissives from the crew, putting heavy objects in between, etc.  A setting to just turn down emissive strength might do fine.

Hi, so I'm playing Realism Overhaul with Kerbalism and I see that in the chemical plant there is an option for hydrazine production, but it only produces monopropellant in game?

I see in the configs for Real Fuels it redefines monoprop to hydrazine, and the default.cfg has "// (Hydrazine..." next to the monoprop stats, but the in-game context tooltip shows oxidizer and monoprop?

9 hours ago, KAO said:

Hi, so I'm playing Realism Overhaul with Kerbalism and I see that in the chemical plant there is an option for hydrazine production, but it only produces monopropellant in game?

I see in the configs for Real Fuels it redefines monoprop to hydrazine, and the default.cfg has "// (Hydrazine..." next to the monoprop stats, but the in-game context tooltip shows oxidizer and monoprop?

after abandoning the stock 'Ore makes all' rule, Kerbalism needs something to guide the chemical reactions, so it assumes (via the default.cfg profile) that monopropellant is hydrazine, liquid fuel is methane, and oxidiser is hydrogen peroxide, for the purposes of calculating the ISRU reactions.

It doesn't however actually do anything to change the actual in-game resource produced as the product of the chemical plant from 'monopropellant' to  'hydrazine', e.g. LiquidFuel it produces stays the same stock LiquidFuel, It's just being produced as if it were methane.

To properly implement the real chemicals you would I'm afraid need to create another kerbalism profile which makes it's own reaction definitions to create the actual real fuels, that is, implement reactions that output Kerosene, Hydrazine, UDMH, MMH, lqdOxygen and all those other chemicals that RealFuels adds.

Edited by nanomage

@nanomage @PiezPiedPy since all of these are defined in the community resource pack, for hydrazine production why can I not just delete "[email protected]" and then uncomment the annotation with the hydrazine definition?

When I tried this, hydrazine production wouldn't even show up in the context menu.

Edited by KAO

Process
  {
    name = hydrazine production   // Peroxide process
    modifier = _HydrazineProduction
    input = [email protected]  // calculated using 6.99 J/(g K) (sustained heating to 460K)
    input = [email protected]
    input = [email protected]   // ([email protected]) Note that Oxidizer has a density of 5Kg/Unit
    output = [email protected]
    output = [email protected]   // ([email protected]) Note that MonoPropellant has a density of 4Kg/Unit
    dump_valve = Water,Oxygen,MonoPropellant,Water&Oxygen,Water&MonoPropellant,Oxygen&MonoPropellant
  }

It should work if you change the above to

Process
  {
    name = hydrazine production   // Peroxide process
    modifier = _HydrazineProduction
    input = [email protected]  // calculated using 6.99 J/(g K) (sustained heating to 460K)
    input = [email protected]
    input = [email protected]  // Note that Oxidizer has a density of 5Kg/Unit
    output = [email protected]  // Note that MonoPropellant has a density of 4Kg/Unit
    dump_valve = Water,Oxygen,Hydrazine,Water&Oxygen,Water&Hydrazine,Oxygen&Hydrazine
  }

You will probably want to try changing any processes that use or output Oxidizer and also LF
Note that the dump_valve also has to be changed and the // after the Hydrazine value should be added unless you remove the entire comment ;)

@KAO

Edited by PiezPiedPy

Ok I think I see why I was having the problem I was having. I was modifying the cfg correctly to begin with, it's just that hydrogen peroxide isn't defined in the community resource pack.

On 10/4/2018 at 2:44 AM, Cheesecake said:

Is it possible to deactivate all messages? Because I made Videos and everytime there are messages like "lost signal" to see. Also if I hide all other things with F2.

I think in the settings for kerbalism (latest github builds are in the ksp settings but otherwise in a cfg file) you can opt for stock messages.  This might solve your issue.

Peace.

Edited by theJesuit

Kerbalisam on new KSP 1.4.5 break game. Science is not collecting. I tested this deleting one mod a time and then start new game and test if science work. After deleting kerbalism everything work just fine.
Kerbalism is one of best mods, but we can't use him if he break most important aspect of game.

Hello guys! it's a few months that i'm not following this thread but seems time to go back again. At the moment i'm goofing around on a Kerbalism-centered 1.45 Career from scratch on a basic Kerbol Sistem. But I wanna, someday, start a career on a KSS gameplay (when is ready..) focused on permanent interstellar colonization.
So..there is a plan for enabling permanent basis in KERBALISM in the future like in MKS? Or is MKS the only way to go? Because: a) never done a full career with mks b) i like the all background processing, integration with KPBS, Feline SSPR etcetc, BUT... still not been able to build permanent basis (not resources but "stress/radiation" related problem)... sooo... 
Any suggestion?
Thank you again for all the work you guys are doing. And, as soon as i start my new IRL job i will surely as hell contribute wth some coffeedime! XD

p.s. if i remember correctly there was a time in which freezing a kerbal "cured it" from stress and radio  BUT i don't know if it's still the case, and it felt kinda cheaty...

p.p.s. i was trying to modify the pathfinder inflatable module parameters to use them as inflatable temporary habitat for Kerbalism but i tend to break the config files xD does anyone knows some inflatable modules for Kerbalism?

Edited by Krastynio

19 hours ago, Krastynio said:

So..there is a plan for enabling permanent basis in KERBALISM in the future like in MKS? ("stress/radiation" related problem)

p.s. if i remember correctly there was a time in which freezing a kerbal "cured it" from stress...

p.p.s.inflatable modules for Kerbalism?

Hi.  No.  Kerbalism is great but the radiation and stress are biggest barriers still

There is a move towards the radiation issue with a med/sick bay.  Stress will be the next thing I'm sure as both stress and radiation will result in issues after 21 years interplanetary with a fully equipped craft.

P.s. Deep Freeze no longer provides an exploit.  It was cheaty.

P.p.s you will want SSPX redux for inflatables.  

Peace.

15 hours ago, N70 said:

Kerbalism 2.0.0 beta builds are up on https://builds.spaceball.cf!

The same zip and DLL works for both KSP 1.4.x and 1.3.x

aye I haven't played ksp in months and likely won't start again for another 2, I'd like to know about plans for kerbalism? My last issue with kerbalism was making a self sustaining base, will these be allowed in the future, also will there be some sort of very powerful artificially generated magnetic field part that will allow me to do permanent bases and long missions, because currently getting to Jool with kerbalism and not freezing the kerbals is not possible at all, they die from radiation or stress or both, the closest I got was spamming active shields which got them close but they died of stress anyways, also having 100 active shield parts isn't feasible under any scenarios

On 3/19/2018 at 6:01 PM, Maffif said:

Hi,

First, I'm happy to see this moving forward- but I have one concern:  Has this skipped the anticipated official 1.3.1 release entirely? It seems a large portion of the mod community is sticking with that version for now, including several large/upcoming ones I'm following (particularly KSS, which plans on having native kerbalism support in the future)

I also have an idea for a module: Drastically upscaled ambient radiation as spacecraft approach/reach relativistic speeds, requiring a large shield (possibly required to be prograde to the vessel but that makes things really complicated)- Really only an issue for crafts capable of surpassing 0.5c (so far, I haven't made anything like that)

http://www.scirp.org/journal/PaperInformation.aspx?paperID=23913

I've built ships reaching 0.9c so this would be interesting 

58 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

aye I haven't played ksp in months and likely won't start again for another 2, I'd like to know about plans for kerbalism? My last issue with kerbalism was making a self sustaining base, will these be allowed in the future, also will there be some sort of very powerful artificially generated magnetic field part that will allow me to do permanent bases and long missions, because currently getting to Jool with kerbalism and not freezing the kerbals is not possible at all, they die from radiation or stress or both, the closest I got was spamming active shields which got them close but they died of stress anyways, also having 100 active shield parts isn't feasible under any scenarios

There currently is a little side poject going on that deals with exactly that. The gist is this:

1. you will have the option to not magically cure kerbals from radiation poisoning when they are recovered on kerbin or thawed after deep freeze. if jeb just barely made it back from that solar storm that hit his unshielded pod on minmus, you better never send him up again or the radiation will kill him for sure.
  2. there will be a cure for radiation poisoning: the radiation detoxication unit (RDU). It will use lots of oxygen and electricity to slowly cure a crew member from radiation poisoning. Unfortunately this only works in zero gravity (which is why kerbals can't cure on kerbin). A lot of the details are still unknown, like how much resources it's going to need, and which ones, and how fast it will cure radiation.
  3. kerbals will make errors when in stress, especially the dumb ones. (you can turn this off, too).
  4. there might be a recreational unit to relieve some of the stress. this is at this point purely hypothetical, but just like the RDU there could be a, say, holodeck, or a total mesmerization vortex (some just call it TV) that uses EC to relieve some of the stress.

details are in there, if you have any suggestions let me know.  https://github.com/steamp0rt/Kerbalism/pull/209

1 hour ago, Sir Mortimer said:

There currently is a little side poject going on that deals with exactly that. The gist is this:

1. you will have the option to not magically cure kerbals from radiation poisoning when they are recovered on kerbin or thawed after deep freeze. if jeb just barely made it back from that solar storm that hit his unshielded pod on minmus, you better never send him up again or the radiation will kill him for sure.
  2. there will be a cure for radiation poisoning: the radiation detoxication unit (RDU). It will use lots of oxygen and electricity to slowly cure a crew member from radiation poisoning. Unfortunately this only works in zero gravity (which is why kerbals can't cure on kerbin). A lot of the details are still unknown, like how much resources it's going to need, and which ones, and how fast it will cure radiation.
  3. kerbals will make errors when in stress, especially the dumb ones. (you can turn this off, too).
  4. there might be a recreational unit to relieve some of the stress. this is at this point purely hypothetical, but just like the RDU there could be a, say, holodeck, or a total mesmerization vortex (some just call it TV) that uses EC to relieve some of the stress.

details are in there, if you have any suggestions let me know.  https://github.com/steamp0rt/Kerbalism/pull/209

My suggestions is that it be called a medical unit and it be used to cure illnesses not just radiation, and it should be allowed on the surface of a planet, that way people can have colonies, there should also be large ones that use a lot of electric charge, and once connected to the base it should act as a healer for the entire base automatically, that way you dont have to put each individual kerbal inside it, so we can create giant colonies of a thousand or more kerbals

The same for stress except it should be able to completely erase stress, enabling full scale colonization, and yes this should be an expensive part or function that uses a lot of resources

7 hours ago, Sir Mortimer said:

It would be nice if they slowly healed while on Kerbin, at least as an option. Not instantly like now, probably even slower than the anti-radiation thing. It'd give a reason to have some depth in the crew roster, without leading to disposable kerbonauts.

Is there something that Kerbalism does not play nicely with?

My log runneth over with ...

KERBALISM.Kerbalism.Update ()
[EXC 23:56:35.330] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    KERBALISM.Kerbalism.OnGUI ()
[EXC 23:56:35.331] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

11 minutes ago, TranceaddicT said:

Is there something that Kerbalism does not play nicely with?

My log runneth over with ...

KERBALISM.Kerbalism.Update ()
[EXC 23:56:35.330] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
[EXC 23:56:35.331] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Probably an odd incompatibility with Unity. Should be fixed, try the latest beta: https://builds.spaceball.cf