[1.5.0 <-> 1.8.1] Kerbalism v3.2

N70

Hi all!

I've just found Kerbalism recently and loving it absolutely!

It was working perfectly in 1.5.1, but now as I have installed 1.6.0 (vanilla) then added mods through CKAN (so no copying of old files etc.), Kerbalism does not really work.

I have KSP 1.6.0 on Linux, Kerbalism 2.1.0.0, ModuleManager 3.1.2, CommunityResourcePack 1.0.0, DeepFreeze 0.23.9.0, PlanetaryBaseSystem 1.6.6 etc.

There are no GUI elements of Kerbalism at all (editor, in flight, settings menu (should there be?)). There are no consumable resources in the capsules (CommunityResourcePack error?).

Any idea where to start looking?

---> Found Kerbalism 2.1.1 now

---> Works :)

Edited by kubi

Apologies if I have no idea what I'm talking about here, but shouldn't the module .cfg's be updated for the new Squad Vanilla parts? I see a few instances of '@PART[old part].'

For example, in the Habitat.cfg

@PART[mk1pod]:NEEDS[FeatureHabitat]:AFTER[Kerbalism]
{
	@MODULE[Habitat]
	{
		volume = 0.63
		surface = 2.85
	}
}

@PART[mk2LanderCabin]:NEEDS[FeatureHabitat]:AFTER[Kerbalism]
{
	@MODULE[Habitat]
	{
		volume = 4.9
		surface = 7.85
	}
}

these are 2 examples of names that are referencing the old parts. The new parts read 'mk1pod_v2' and 'mk2LanderCabin_v2', etc.

There are also a few command modules missing from the habitat .cfg,  that I don't think are consistent with your other choices,  'mk1-3pod' for example.
The mk2Cockpit_Inline is also listed twice.

Again, apologies if you are already aware of this or if they were intentional choices. I'm trying to hunt down a NullReferenceException that fires when only your mod is installed and I select the new Mk1 Pod part in the VAB. Thought this might be related.

Edited by _Zee

53 minutes ago, _Zee said:

Apologies if I have no idea what I'm talking about here, but shouldn't the module .cfg's be updated for the new Squad Vanilla parts? I see a few instances of '@PART[old part].'

For example, in the Habitat.cfg

@PART[mk1pod]:NEEDS[FeatureHabitat]:AFTER[Kerbalism]
{
	@MODULE[Habitat]
	{
		volume = 0.63
		surface = 2.85
	}
}

@PART[mk2LanderCabin]:NEEDS[FeatureHabitat]:AFTER[Kerbalism]
{
	@MODULE[Habitat]
	{
		volume = 4.9
		surface = 7.85
	}
}

these are 2 examples of names that are referencing the old parts. The new parts read 'mk1pod_v2' and 'mk2LanderCabin_v2', etc.

There are also a few command modules missing from the habitat .cfg,  that I don't think are consistent with your other choices,  'mk1-3pod' for example.
The mk2Cockpit_Inline is also listed twice.

Again, apologies if you are already aware of this or if they were intentional choices. I'm trying to hunt down a NullReferenceException that fires when only your mod is installed and I select the new Mk1 Pod part in the VAB. Thought this might be related.

Totally unaware for me.  Looks like i know what I'll be doing this evebing ti sort it out.  Great find!

Peace.

30 minutes ago, theJesuit said:

Totally unaware for me.  Looks like i know what I'll be doing this evebing ti sort it out.  Great find!

Peace.

Happy to help! I went ahead and made these changes to my own config, but it doesnt seem to have helped my NullReferenceException problem.

Its a big problem too because its causing the VAB to stutter in a very obvious and unplayable way. :(

44 minutes ago, _Zee said:

Happy to help! I went ahead and made these changes to my own config, but it doesnt seem to have helped my NullReferenceException problem.

Its a big problem too because its causing the VAB to stutter in a very obvious and unplayable way. :(

Do you github? Are you able to raise an issue/ bug please?

Noticed a weird thing - female kerbals do not drain monoprop from the pod when exiting it. Probably a bug.

Also, is there any way to completely turn off fuel cells? They seem to activate regardless of on/off switch when "needed", which is very inconvenient.

The pieces of Kerbalism do not come out in the VAB.

The pieces of Tygoo Transport Solutions do not come out: S

Ok, i repair this bug.

In the foolder "Parts\InclineContainer in the files kerbalism-container-inline-125.cfg, kerbalism-container-inline-250.cfg, kerbalism-container-inline-375.cfg, kerbalism-container-radial-big.cfg, kerbalism-container-radial-huge.cfg, kerbalism-container-radial-medium.cfg, kerbalism-container-radial-small.cfg you must change "Category = None" in "Category = Utility".

And the same with the file: kerbalism-container-inline-0625.cfg

Sorry for my english :P

Edited by FJSA

Hello

Since update 1.6 food, oxygen, water don't work on KSP.

I reinstall the game and update mod. I have Kerbalisim 2.1.1; MM 3.1.2, CommunityResourcePack 0.4.9.0

But when I was on KSP 1.5.1 and Kerbalisim 2.0.0, food, oxygen and other resources work very well.

Actually, when I open the little windows of kerbalisim in the game I'm seeing "food 1d" "oxygen perpetual" etc. And in the ship nothing are consuming.

Thank for hepl

1 hour ago, Walker said:

Bump - anyone...?

It depends.  Does Kerbin's day and year length change? If not I wouldn't change a thing. A good shielded craft can easily do ten current kerbin years, along with all the amenities. So 'realistic' then.

If the day length changes you'll need to adjust the default profile and the consumption rates as they are designed for a 6 hour day.

Peace.

13 minutes ago, theJesuit said:

It depends.  Does Kerbin's day and year length change? If not I wouldn't change a thing. A good shielded craft can easily do ten current kerbin years, along with all the amenities. So 'realistic' then.

If the day length changes you'll need to adjust the default profile and the consumption rates as they are designed for a 6 hour day.

Peace.

Thank you! Yes, I have 24h days and 360 days for a year. 

38 minutes ago, Thetaobera said:

Is it possible to turn off warnings from a specific craft.

Yes there is, open up the craft you want to silence in the kerbalism window, then across the bottom select cfg(next to the wrench icon) and untick the warnings that you don't want to receive

On 12/30/2018 at 10:07 AM, theJesuit said:

You'll also need to adjust for humans if that is what you are going for.  Multiply amounts per second by 4 in that case.

Peace.

OK, so I edited "breathing", "eating" and "drinking" rules in default profile, as well as min. and max. time between storms; I used stock commnet range modifier to increase the range of antennas. I wonder if there is anything else I should think about - radiation should work out of the box. MTBF maybe, but where can I find them?

I reckon you're good to go.  Pressure is a standard set by the leakage of the ISS so that shouldn't be a problem.

MTBF? That maybe in the settings. I think it was based on the mass of the part? Maybe heavy more likely to break? Check the kerbalism read the docs by the current devs.  

Peace. 

I've not played KSP for a while, so I just reinstalled it and the Kerbalism mod and the other required mods for everything to work.  I started a new game, and I can see pressurized tanks and supply containers in the research tech tree, but they're not available in the construction screen.  How can I fix this?

1 hour ago, bluntspoon said:

I've not played KSP for a while, so I just reinstalled it and the Kerbalism mod and the other required mods for everything to work.  I started a new game, and I can see pressurized tanks and supply containers in the research tech tree, but they're not available in the construction screen.  How can I fix this?

Welcome to the Forums!

Can you see a Kerbalism parts tab in the VAB?

Peace.

Hey. Thanks for this interesting mod.

I've been wondering about making communications more realistic lately when i heard this mod already supports variable data rate based on distance, so i tried it. Works nicely, but the formulas used are still somewhat unrealistic i guess. Kerbalism by default scales data rate linearly by KSP's default signal strength, which itself scales roughly with distance. IRL, your signal strength and data rate change by a factor of 1/4 though when you double the distance. This can be corrected by adjusting the way KSP calculates signal strength, it can be done by giving each antenna and the DSN a custom rangeCurve with an MM patch. I got this working already, even though it was harder than expected due to a stock KSP bug.

There's another problem though: The way multiple antennas stack in Kerbalism. IRL, two antennas either work together, thus the total signal strength rises, which allows a higher data rate. Or the antennas could work by creating two parallel connections, which would leave signal strength alone but would double the data rate for equal antennas. In Kerbalism however, both is done at the same time - the signal strength rises with an added antenna, which already leads to a gain in data rate, and on top of that, the raw data rate of the added antenna is added on top. This results in the data rate rising more than what's realistic.

I intend to change that, and wonder what you think about it - are you interested in such a change (more realistic data rate attenuation and proper data rates for stacked antennas)? If so, i would try to implement that and could then provide a PR.

regards and a happy new year

Mike

15 minutes ago, Mike` said:

Works nicely, but the formulas used are still somewhat unrealistic i guess.

Bring it up on the discord.  The guys who coded it haven't been in in a while but that is a good place to ask.

Peace.