[1.5.0 <-> 1.8.1] Kerbalism v3.2

N70

I moved to the dev build and that fixed my issue with the planner and life support. Now life support modules are a lot more powerful and seem to do what they say on the configuration screen. More issues, however:

1) I seem to be consuming much more oxygen than I should. I don't know what the cause is. I have suddenly noticed very sharp spikes in oxygen consumption when nothing should be using it but kerbals breathing though I've not figured out why. I seemed to be able to work around it by switching on and off tank flow until it fixed itself. The amount of Oxygen I packed should last me ~38 days according to the planner (4277 for a 3-kerbal crew). I was running a fuel cell for some time time, consuming a total of 1637 Hydrogen (and hence 829 Oxygen) and I'm 11 days into my mission, so that should be another 1130 spent. 4277 - 829 - 1130 = 2318 Oxygen remaining, which is fine. In reality I have 533 left which the planner correctly predicts will last me 4d 4h. That means ~1800 Oxygen has vanished somewhere and if I wasn't willing to do all this maths and hack my persistence file, my crew would die. That's not cool :(. EDIT: I should mention this is the first craft I've had with this issue and the first craft where I have three crew capsules, one with habitat disabled. Maybe related?

2) I don't believe the nitrogen issue (EVA/crew transfers burning nitrogen) is fixed in the latest dev build. My 11 day mission has used 2300 nitrogen. That's much more than it should have used due to leaks which are meant to be 0.073/m. It should come to 289 used. There's no docs on how nitrogen is meant to work with EVAs and internal crew transfers (both of which I have done). Is this a bug or a feature? FWIW I would argue one of two things should happen: either we depressurize the cabin we're EVAing from (and not others) and in doing so fill up any remaining tank capacity, or cabins should just never depressurize on EVA. Non-habitat cabins are trickier. It seems to me they can either be depressurized into tanks, or leak out. The gas shouldn't just disappear though.

3) Fixed solar panels do not play nice with the background processing. It appears that for some reason my ships are being rotated under background processing which can lead to the engine/nose facing the sun, and no solar flux. This isn't how space works. If I'm in a vacuum in Kerbin's SOI then tidal forces/solar wind aside (which I'm guessing aren't modelled ;)), my craft should not turn. I should take a quarter of a year for a solar panel facing the sun to rotate 90 degrees and not face the sun. Can I request that the background processing treat fixed solar panels a bit more optimistically: if it should automatically rotate it should keep at least one panel facing the sun.

Edited by TGApples

2 hours ago, TGApples said:

1) I seem to be consuming much more oxygen than I should.

I hit the issue again. When I activate SAS I get a huge spike in oxygen used (from 0.310/m to, ~2.3/s). This is not reproducable: most of the time everything works as expected.

As I said, I have a fuel cell but it's off. It also wouldn't use that much Oxygen even if it were on. Nothing else but basic life support (humidity/pressure/scrubber).

Edited by TGApples

I get microfreezes with Kerbalism installed.  They only happen in the builder, VAC or SPH.  I've uninstalled every other mod except this one, so there's no question what's causing it.  The game is super smooth without Kerbalism.  Is this a common problem?  Is there anything I can do?

I'm using 1.6.1 and the latest Kerbalism.  It seems to be an issue with Garbage Collection.  What I don't understand is why I'm getting these freezes and most other people aren't.  I found someone with the exact same problem posting in the 'technical difficulties' section, but he's got no answer either.  We have very dissimilar hardware also, with at least 16GB ram, so I don't think it's hardware related.

If anyone has a clue here, I'd be grateful for some insight.

Edited by Xordus

1 hour ago, Xordus said:

I get microfreezes with Kerbalism installed.  They only happen in the builder, VAC or SPH.  I've uninstalled every other mod except this one, so there's no question what's causing it.  The game is super smooth without Kerbalism.  Is this a common problem?  Is there anything I can do?

I'm using 1.6.1 and the latest Kerbalism.  It seems to be an issue with Garbage Collection.  What I don't understand is why I'm getting these freezes and most other people aren't.  I found someone with the exact same problem posting in the 'technical difficulties' section, but he's got no answer either.  We have very dissimilar hardware also, with at least 16GB ram, so I don't think it's hardware related.

I have the same microfreeze issue as well.  I just thought it was me running too many mods.  I'll try removing Kerbalism and see if they go away.

4 hours ago, Xordus said:

I can confirm the behavior

9 hours ago, Xordus said:

Same here.

Tonkacrash has been warning mod makers that there is a bug in 1.6.0 & 1.6.1 that can lock up the parts menu in the VAB if a bulkheadProfiles isn't defined for each part.  I checked the change log and did not find that listed.

1 hour ago, Cruesoe said:

Can those suffering issue confirm if you installed Kerbalism from CKAN or manually?

Manual install

1 hour ago, jpkerman said:

Tonkacrash has been warning mod makers that there is a bug in 1.6.0 & 1.6.1 that can lock up the parts menu in the VAB if a bulkheadProfiles isn't defined for each part.  I checked the change log and did not find that listed.

The problem i have is not locked part, rather the stuttering described previously.  

I've tried manual install and CKAN.  I've tried a lot of stuff, tbh.  I really want to play 1.6 but my main save is integrally tethered to Kerbalism and I don't want to change that.  If something can't be done to change the stuttering, though, I will be forced to because it's pretty damn jarring. 

Like I said, it only really happens in the SPH/VAC, but it's so prevalent that it's really hard to ignore. You can affect the garbage cleanup with MemGraph, but that just makes the stutter more spread out, but also more egregious.  I really hope there's a way to fix this.

Hi folks! Longtime fan/user of Kerbalism and have been slowly updating to KSP 1.6 while checking on various mod updates over the past couple weeks.

Reading through the past pages of comments, I'd just like to confirm if these are the still the main known issues that are being sorted?

1) VSR part issues? (or was this resolved by a recent update?)

2) Micro-freezing in VAB/SPH?

Thanks @N70 and other modders for all your hard work and perseverance!

Edited by scottadges

5 hours ago, scottadges said:

Hi folks! Longtime fan/user of Kerbalism and have been slowly updating to KSP 1.6 while checking on various mod updates over the past couple weeks.

Reading through the past pages of comments, I'd just like to confirm if these are the still the main known issues that are being sorted?

1) VSR part issues? (or was this resolved by a recent update?)

2) Micro-freezing in VAB/SPH?

Thanks @N70 and other modders for all your hard work and perseverance!

Sickbay not working in sandbox

Is there a way to make solar panels work with kerbalism that don't use the stock modules? Trying to get the SSTU panels to work in background simulation.

Following mm-patch adds the solar panel reliability to them:

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[SSTUSolarPanelDeployable]]:NEEDS[Kerbalism,SSTU]:AFTER[SSTU]
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = Reliability
		type = ModuleCurvedSolarPanel
		title = Solar Panel
		redundancy = Power Generation
		repair = true
		mtbf = 36288000
		extra_cost = 2.5
		extra_mass = 1.0
	}
}

But that doesn't seem to be enough.

I also did read the docs and been hoping there would be some sort of part module or something that could work around the need of the stock solar panel part module.

If anyone could help me out there that would be awesome. Thanks.

Just as a note, for anyone asking if people installed Kerbalism via CKAN, I don't even see Kerbalism on CKAN for 1.6.1.  It's marked as compatible for 1.3.1.

It's not a big issue as manually installing this mod is fairly easy, but just wanted to note it.

Scratch that.  Turns out my version of CKAN is not up to date, and I wasn't aware of it.

Edited by Nittany Tiger

On 1/6/2019 at 5:46 AM, JebIsDeadBaby said:

OK, so I figured out what was causing all my problems, which included:

- Kerbalism planner not working in VAB, only the header with SOI appears

- resources not consumed correctly (for example solar panels do not produce EC, oxygen is not consumed, EC is consumed but shown as perpetual in the planner)

- inability to move up and down in VAB (!!!)

And the mod causing all this trouble is... VenStockRevamp (of all things!!). Without this mod everything works fine. With VSR, the moment you place mk1 pod in VAB, log gets spammed with this message 

Now, I have no idea why, as the new, revamped mk 1 pod is not affected by VSR (to the best of my knowledge), it has nothing to do with liquid hydrogen and I don't even think VSR messes with resources. The problem is easily replicated with KSP 1.6.0, Kerbalism 2.1.1, CRP 1.0.0.0, MM 3.1.2 and the latest VSR release. Would be nice if this conflict got solved as VSR still has some nice looking parts I like to use. 

I have this exact problem. But others have found a solution in removing VSR but I don't have that mod installed. Are there any known incompatibilities with real fuels, real plumes, or any other mods? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

16 hours ago, Einstein_Cross_X1 said:

I have this exact problem. But others have found a solution in removing VSR but I don't have that mod installed. Are there any known incompatibilities with real fuels, real plumes, or any other mods? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Me too, it literally just started today as well. I'd installed Bluedog pruned some parts with JanitorsCloset then restarted and Kerbalism stopped working in the editor. I removed the new mods and undid the pruning and it still doesn't work, so I'm somewhat at a loss to understand what's going on.

I get this error spammed to the log though:

[EXC 19:22:39.683] Exception: psuedo-resource _HyLiquefactionmust be NO_FLOW
    KERBALISM.Modifiers.Evaluate (KERBALISM.Environment_analyzer env, KERBALISM.Vessel_analyzer va, KERBALISM.Resource_simulator sim, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 modifiers, .Part p)
    KERBALISM.Resource_simulator.Process_process_vessel_wide (KERBALISM.Process pr, KERBALISM.Environment_analyzer env, KERBALISM.Vessel_analyzer va)
    KERBALISM.Resource_simulator.Process_process (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 parts, KERBALISM.Process pr, KERBALISM.Environment_analyzer env, KERBALISM.Vessel_analyzer va)
    KERBALISM.Resource_simulator.RunSimulator (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 parts, KERBALISM.Environment_analyzer env, KERBALISM.Vessel_analyzer va)
    KERBALISM.Resource_simulator.Analyze (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 parts, KERBALISM.Environment_analyzer env, KERBALISM.Vessel_analyzer va)
    KERBALISM.Planner.Update ()
    KERBALISM.Launcher.Update ()
    KERBALISM.UI.Update (Boolean show_window)
    KERBALISM.Kerbalism.Update ()
[ERR 19:22:39.717] Resource System Error: Requested resource (id: 1203312488) does not exist

So it's complaining about a missing resource definition, but I have no idea what that resource may be, nor why it's suddenly missing.

Edited by Citizen247