[1.5.0 <-> 1.8.1] Kerbalism v3.2

N70

Heya there,

Just how stable/unstable is v2.2?

Also poking through the files I get the impression that support for DMagic Orbital Science is there but not there. In game I made quick test with a magnetometer boom last night, and unfortunately it worked vanilla. Looking into files there is a big and important looking patch file that is disabled (ExperimentReconfig.cfg).

What should I expect from the 2.2 beta?

There's an issue with BDB and Kerbalism: the instrumentation integrated into the probe cores doesn't want to write data to its HDD(Insufficient storage despite the HDD being empty). Other instruments work with the integrated storage on those probe cores, just not the inbuilt instruments.

Can confirm, was wondering why the whole game broke and found a bunch of NREs in the log from Kerbalism. Uninstalling and reverting fixed it.

I had the same problem. Uninstalling [x] Science fixed it.

7 hours ago, canisin said:

Heya there,

Just how stable/unstable is v2.2?

Also poking through the files I get the impression that support for DMagic Orbital Science is there but not there. In game I made quick test with a magnetometer boom last night, and unfortunately it worked vanilla. Looking into files there is a big and important looking patch file that is disabled (ExperimentReconfig.cfg).

What should I expect from the 2.2 beta?

That shouldn;t have made it in the release. There was some miscommunication between us and some test configs were pushed to master. Stuff still needs testing.

What to expect? Let's not spoil the fun, shall we?

Edited by SilverState

On 4/1/2019 at 11:01 PM, Sir Mortimer said:

What you're experiencing (I think) is an annoying bug in the UI: the experiment scans some data, then the file is immediately transmitted, then the file is deleted because it's empty. On the next cycle,  the experiment scans some data, then the file is immediately transmitted, then the file is deleted because it's empty. Rinse and repeat. Problem is you can't deselect the file, because it will be deleted and re-created with the auto-transmit setting on. You have no way of getting out of this loop. And it will never tranmit any other file because the "first" file it selects will reappear all the time.

Good news: it's fixed. The auto-transmit will now kick in only after the file has been untouched for ~3 seconds OR has a minimum file size of ~3Kb. If the first file doesn't pass that test, auto-transmit will just transmit the next one. This will happen so fast that it will look to you as if two (or more) files are being transmitted at the same time. You'll be able to reliably turn transmission on and off for any of those files.

Not quite. What I'm experiencing is a is a system that simply does not delete the file when it is finished transmitting. It appears to get stuck attempting to transmit a file that shows a size of none. When I deselect the completed file for transmission, the system then moves on to transmitting the next file. But not before I deselect or delete the file that has completed transmitting. It's not automatically deleting the files when it's done transmitting them.

Sorry if that's confusing. I tried uninstalling a few mods to see if something was causing an issue but to no avail. I can make a video and share it if that helps explain.

Thanks!

5 hours ago, DrPickleshack said:

Not quite. What I'm experiencing is a is a system that simply does not delete the file when it is finished transmitting. It appears to get stuck attempting to transmit a file that shows a size of none. When I deselect the completed file for transmission, the system then moves on to transmitting the next file. But not before I deselect or delete the file that has completed transmitting. It's not automatically deleting the files when it's done transmitting them.

Sorry if that's confusing. I tried uninstalling a few mods to see if something was causing an issue but to no avail. I can make a video and share it if that helps explain.

Thanks!

I'm certain that this is not caused by any other mod. Are you 100% absolutely positively sure, without a shred of a doubt, that your experiment is not still recording data when it's finished transmitting? Because I'm almost certain that this is the case ;)

16 hours ago, SilverState said:

That shouldn;t have made it in the release. There was some miscommunication between us and some test configs were pushed to master. Stuff still needs testing.

What to expect? Let's not spoil the fun, shall we?

Alright then, thanks a lot for the information!

Edited by canisin

4 hours ago, Sir Mortimer said:

I'm certain that this is not caused by any other mod. Are you 100% absolutely positively sure, without a shred of a doubt, that your experiment is not still recording data when it's finished transmitting? Because I'm almost certain that this is the case ;)

It doesn't seem to be dependent on whether or not the experiment is running. Let me show you what I'm experiencing.

Here is a craft with a gravity scanner that has filled it's hard drive because it won't stop trying to transmit the first file.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gVVeLJJjZfJ8XbeWbBwbe2Lf5zIQ00zM

You can see the first file has transmitted completely and there are more files to transmit. However it will not transmit the next file until I click the blue arrows to deselect the already completed file.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WMZ42QCAkRRTG_6M_J4DjorB1xcv52Hy

Once the completed file has been deselected for transmission it is able to move on to the next file.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JzfCEBdAJNMWoGpl47SywZVerpMH62_T

Transmission continues until the file reaches a size of none.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cGTDQQ23RTOxvxdYi0kb6SC8LjfMTgfT

Then it once again stops and fills the hard drive.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CHf7WdTOBVsUz4q3nqn0O8N9fYc33gk-

Switching off the gravity scanner doesn't seem to effect whether or not the data will transmit.

I hope that at least explains what I'm experiencing. Let me know if you need more information. Thanks for your help!

I'm using 2.1.2, no science mods besides DMagic, Universal Storage 2 and SCANsat and I'm having problem with data sizes, particulary Magnetometer scans. I can sort of skim around the fact that telemetry scans are too big for the stock probe HDD by using a science container, but there's no way I can transmit Magnetometer scans. Is this a known issue in the current version, or am I experiencing some mod incompatibility? From the looks of the first post it shouldn't but just want to confirm.

EDIT: I was in 2.2 (seems like ckan might be distributing that version?) and reverting back to 2.1.2 screwed up my career progress so it'll be a while until I can re-check on Career, but for the time being it seems like magnetometer scans can be transmitted in Sandbox, so I guess that should have solved my problem.

Edited by Ottomic

13 hours ago, DrPickleshack said:

It doesn't seem to be dependent on whether or not the experiment is running. Let me show you what I'm experiencing.

Here is a craft with a gravity scanner that has filled it's hard drive because it won't stop trying to transmit the first file.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gVVeLJJjZfJ8XbeWbBwbe2Lf5zIQ00zM

You can see the first file has transmitted completely and there are more files to transmit. However it will not transmit the next file until I click the blue arrows to deselect the already completed file.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1WMZ42QCAkRRTG_6M_J4DjorB1xcv52Hy

Once the completed file has been deselected for transmission it is able to move on to the next file.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1JzfCEBdAJNMWoGpl47SywZVerpMH62_T

Transmission continues until the file reaches a size of none.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cGTDQQ23RTOxvxdYi0kb6SC8LjfMTgfT

Then it once again stops and fills the hard drive.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1CHf7WdTOBVsUz4q3nqn0O8N9fYc33gk-

Switching off the gravity scanner doesn't seem to effect whether or not the data will transmit.

I hope that at least explains what I'm experiencing. Let me know if you need more information. Thanks for your help!

I see. I think that has been dealt with, but the fix is not yet in the version that was picked up by CKAN. Had the same problem, drive was filling up because it insisted on transmitting only the empty file. What it will do in the future is that it will transmit whatever file contains big enough chunks to transmit, even if it is 3 different files at once. So when you have 5 scanners running, 3 files will be transmitted (depending on your transmission rate and sampling rate of the experiment) and only the last 2 will grow in size.

Besides, hard drives will grow in size as you get further into the tech tree, too.

Edited by Sir Mortimer

Then don't be that guy. It's at least two weeks I say. In my mind it would be best to wait until after 1.7 drops next week to ensure compatibility.

I'm just as keen myself and if you want to know what's going on then join the Discord for all the latest news, arguments and gossip.

10 minutes ago, jackson423 said:

Kerbal Environmental Institute is not working with 2.2.

It's not supposed to.

2.2 was released early by mistake. Roll back to previous version, 2.2 will be out soon but KEI and any science mod like X science will not work with Kerbalism new science.

3 minutes ago, Cruesoe said:

It's not supposed to.

2.2 was released early by mistake. Roll back to previous version, 2.2 will be out soon but KEI and any science mod like X science will not work with Kerbalism new science.

Guess I'll disable the new science(science = false in the config) for now

edit: Also you can't gather science in a craft with just a external command seat

Edited by jackson423

8 minutes ago, jackson423 said:

edit: Also you can't gather science in a craft with just a external command seat

Science gathering takes time and hard drive space. I would presume the external command seat doesn't have a hard drive to store the data.

Love this mod and the fact that it works with OPM.

I've been trying to make it work for someone's RSS rescale, and I believe'd I had it figured out. However in the tracking station I don't have any UI in order to check the radiation belts..... Any idea what I might have missed?

11 minutes ago, CrickCrickBang said:

Love this mod and the fact that it works with OPM.

I've been trying to make it work for someone's RSS rescale, and I believe'd I had it figured out. However in the tracking station I don't have any UI in order to check the radiation belts..... Any idea what I might have missed?

Num 0 shows radiation belts I believe. Also B brings up UI for belts.

Edited by JebIsDeadBaby

@N70 how exactly does signal work in this latest version? I liked the idea of high gain and low gain antennas, if there was a simple code that made it so that direct antennas are short range, and only relay are long range, it would force the use of different antennas

2 hours ago, Asdefjak said:

Is there any way to disable the blue text that appears whenever you get new science? My PC stutters every time one appears.

Yup.  In the ingame settings use the the stock messages.

Peace.