[1.5.0 <-> 1.8.1] Kerbalism v3.2

N70

A quick summary of science (from someone who has been play testing it a bit on the 2.2.0 pre release builds.)  2.2 isn't ready yet but as there is some discussion here is a quick overview.

Kerbalism already used harddrives to store data.  In the early game you'll be limited by the amount of data that can be stored so you'll need to transmit the data often.  This shouldnt be an issue really but you will need power to do so.  With a command pod power for suborbital science collection isn't the issue.  The issue will be storage.

Sample experienments (goo, material bay, surface) will have a limited amount of mass.  They can't obviously be transmitted.  You'll get to choose between leaving Bill on the Mün or taking your precious samples back.  (Jks It's not that bad honest)

Science experiments now take time.  No more dipping 1 metre into Eve's atmosphere on a flyby and collecting all flying high data from a well timed group action key mash.

All the science esperiments can be switched on to run all the time and will contniue to collect when you change environments.  This makes mods such as x science et al. no longer neccessary.  Using kerbalism's automation feature you can set them going when out of comm signal too.

KSC biomes no longer feature which makes KEI no longer neccessary to collect experiments.  I realise this could be an issue for those (who like me) use KEI to reduce start game grind.

A LARGE amount of work is bring put into compatablity with other mods that create science experients such as SSPX but also Orbital Magic? NEOS.  

This is a WIP. But just a heads up.

Peace.

I love the work put into 2.2 and currently run it, it's made the science lab have the most usefulness in forever, it's made me very happy with stock, making the science lab perfect to build stations using just it, since the many different configurations of the lab and the time it takes to do science, it's so amazing I've removed just about all of my parts mods and playing the most stock campaign ever (25 mods) with no parts mods besides restock and restock plus, I'm extremely happy with this update and I'd like to congratulate the entire team, a personal thank you for continuing this mod, the mod that has given ksp the most fun experience for me. ~Doc.

46 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

it's so amazing I've removed just about all of my parts mods and playing the most stock campaign ever (25 mods) with no parts mods besides restock and restock plus, 

I'm about to do the same!  But with the Simplex Suite. :)

4 minutes ago, The-Doctor said:

Simplex? I got the tech tree but what else is there?

Simplex Resources with adds NaturalOre, HydrateOre and RareOre (and should remove stock Ore?)

Simplex Living which is the Kerbalism profile - Air instead of O2 and N2, Consumables instead of Food and Water.

Engines - an extention of the engine nerf in the Tech Tree.  So rebalences the LF and Ox in your tanks, and engine burns to 3:1 rather than 1:1:0.9.  LF has same mass as Ox so you end up with the same delta vee, but can only make LF  later in the game.  Like having to hydrogen to Mars to make fuel, until you begin to mine the icecaps for water.

They should work independently or in any combination.

2 minutes ago, theJesuit said:

Simplex Resources with adds NaturalOre, HydrateOre and RareOre (and should remove stock Ore?)

Simplex Living which is the Kerbalism profile - Air instead of O2 and N2, Consumables instead of Food and Water.

Engines - an extention of the engine nerf in the Tech Tree.  So rebalences the LF and Ox in your tanks, and engine burns to 3:1 rather than 1:1:0.9.  LF has same mass as Ox so you end up with the same delta vee, but can only make LF  later in the game.  Like having to hydrogen to Mars to make fuel, until you begin to mine the icecaps for water.

They should work independently or in any combination.

could you explain the simplex resources to me a bit, will there be ore deposits in different quantities like with kethane? Will ore run out making it necessary to mine in different places? Are the different ores in different places thus making it necessary to have different outposts different places if you want a colony? I like the idea so far, its seems really good

2 hours ago, The-Doctor said:

I love the work put into 2.2 and currently run it, it's made the science lab have the most usefulness in forever, it's made me very happy with stock, making the science lab perfect to build stations using just it, since the many different configurations of the lab and the time it takes to do science, it's so amazing I've removed just about all of my parts mods and playing the most stock campaign ever (25 mods) with no parts mods besides restock and restock plus, I'm extremely happy with this update and I'd like to congratulate the entire team, a personal thank you for continuing this mod, the mod that has given ksp the most fun experience for me. ~Doc.

The configurations were meant mainly for the lab, but there's a lot more where that came from (hint: not just the lab)

The plugin has some issues that Sir Mortimer is weeding out, but the main hold up are the patches. That one's my fault.

I suggest that the lab is given a few more configs as well as the experiments taking weeks to months, this would give me a lot of reason to stay In orbit of a place or even land and have a base.

An extra feature I'm suggesting is a new config for the lab called surface research, which is research that can only be done on the surface of a planet or moon, and that it takes months to do, thus making the creation of a base somewhat important and give bases a purpose

Just now, The-Doctor said:

I suggest that the lab is given a few more configs as well as the experiments taking weeks to months, this would give me a lot of reason to stay In orbit of a place or even land and have a base.

An extra feature I'm suggesting is a new config for the lab called surface research, which is research that can only be done on the surface of a planet or moon, and that it takes months to do, thus making the creation of a base somewhat important and give bases a purpose

All of this is already in the works. Why do you think it takes so long to release it? :wink:

15 hours ago, theJesuit said:

Yup.  In the ingame settings use the the stock messages.

Peace.

I'm also having those. Whenever I'm transmitting science I experience stutters

15 hours ago, theJesuit said:

Edited by Darkherring

18 hours ago, Darkherring said:

I'm also having those. Whenever I'm transmitting science I experience stutters

I get a slight stutter all the time while running this mod, I assume it's the mod using system resources to monitor and simulate background processes. resource usage, radiation effects on Kerbals, kerbal health and stress levels, etc. but I'm not a mod developer, so if that's not the case, someone can certainly correct me here.

1 hour ago, vardicd said:

I get a slight stutter all the time while running this mod, I assume it's the mod using system resources to monitor and simulate background processes. resource usage, radiation effects on Kerbals, kerbal health and stress levels, etc. but I'm not a mod developer, so if that's not the case, someone can certainly correct me here.

Yep, but there is additional stuttering while transmiting data. It stops when the transmission is complete.

3 minutes ago, Darkherring said:

Yep, but there is additional stuttering while transmiting data. It stops when the transmission is complete.

This I have not noticed, but I've not gotten very far with this mod yet, I only discovered and installed it about 24 hours ago

Edited by vardicd

i installed 2.2.0 and after which I wasnt able to load into any building at the ksp. checking the log, it was the spammed with the following:

[EXC 09:32:30.660] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    KERBALISM.Highlighter.Update ()
    KERBALISM.Kerbalism.Update ()
[EXC 09:32:30.675] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    KERBALISM.Kerbalism.OnGUI ()
[EXC 09:32:30.675] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    KERBALISM.Kerbalism.OnGUI ()
[EXC 09:32:30.677] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    KERBALISM.Cache.Update ()
    KERBALISM.Kerbalism.FixedUpdate ()

let me know what else you need to help fix this

thanks 

casper

Two things.

1) I love how you have to wait for science data now, watching it count to completion. Well done.

2) data unit is Kb - if that's supposed to be kilobit, then it has to be kb. K is Kelvin. Not only it's an error, but might present difficulties with the code as Kerbalism grows in the future.

A0EDE258E527AE3B7F76FE7856078B7C48209EB3

On 4/4/2019 at 9:57 PM, theJesuit said:

Kerbalism already used harddrives to store data.  In the early game you'll be limited by the amount of data that can be stored so you'll need to transmit the data often.  This shouldnt be an issue really but you will need power to do so.  With a command pod power for suborbital science collection isn't the issue.  The issue will be storage.

Hi there :)

Hmm, am I doing something wrong, here? I cannot use experiments like DMagics orbital telescope due to not enough hard drive space. But putting on a experimental container which has more space, won't work neither. 

Thanks for any advise :)

Edited by Crio

1 hour ago, Crio said:

Hi there :)

Hmm, am I doing something wrong, here? I cannot use experiments like DMagics orbital telescope due to not enough hard drive space. But putting on a experimental container which has more space, won't work neither. 

Thanks for any advise :)

The issue is 2.2 is not complete.

The science configs are not complete.

If you want to play Kerbalism now please ensure you're using version 2.1.2 as listed in the previous posts.

Edited by Cruesoe