[1.5.0 <-> 1.8.1] Kerbalism v3.2

N70

Hi. Also issue with contract "conduct orbital survey around sun(or kerbal)". There is some experiments which need to be done in planetary space. A space around sun is not planetary space, and contract could not to be done. I hope that i correctly explained problem..

Ah. I forgot, that these experiments from dmagic orbital science.. do i need write that in its topic?

Edited by StreS

16 hours ago, lajoswinkler said:

How does one create an ionizing radiation belt stuff for a custom planetary body?

Look at Kerbalism/System/Radiation.cfg. That file defines a couple of different radiation models, and then applies those models to individual bodies.

12 hours ago, StreS said:

Hi. Also issue with contract "conduct orbital survey around sun(or kerbal)". There is some experiments which need to be done in planetary space. A space around sun is not planetary space, and contract could not to be done. I hope that i correctly explained problem..

Ah. I forgot, that these experiments from dmagic orbital science.. do i need write that in its topic?

No, here is fine - it's a bug in the Kerbalism config.

As a quick fix, go into KerbalismConfig/System/ScienceRework/ModSupport/DMagicOrbitalScience.cfg and replace all PlanetarySpace with Microgravity (it should be in there 8 times).

12 minutes ago, Sir Mortimer said:

Look at Kerbalism/System/Radiation.cfg. That file defines a couple of different radiation models, and then applies those models to individual bodies.

No, here is fine - it's a bug in the Kerbalism config.

As a quick fix, go into KerbalismConfig/System/ScienceRework/ModSupport/DMagicOrbitalScience.cfg and replace all PlanetarySpace with Microgravity (it should be in there 8 times).

Thanks!)

10 hours ago, Cheesecake said:

Can anyone explain how orbital telescopes work? There is given an min sun angle and max sun angle but I don`t know which angle is meant.

This is the angle between your craft and the sun. That is, if you draw a line from craft to the planet and from the sun to the planet you get an angle, just this angle is taken into account.

Spoiler

17q4bOC.png

It seems to be so ...

11 hours ago, Cheesecake said:

Can anyone explain how orbital telescopes work? There is given an min sun angle and max sun angle but I don`t know which angle is meant.

The angle of light on the surface you're looking down at. Many earth observation satellites need the sunlight on the surface to be within a given envelope. For example, when taking pretty pictures for Google Maps, you don't want the sun angle to be too high (like 70+ degrees) because otherwise you will have very long shadows in your surface images. At the same time, other satellites need a minimum angle to avoid glints. For example, observations on water bodies can't be done if the sun is directly benhind the satellite, because the light reflecting from the water surface directly to the satellite (glints) would render the image worthless. Many observation satellites have a limited range where they have to be relative to the sun to do useful observations. This also is true for satellites that take images on the NIGHT side (they need to be well out of twilight).

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/457294487677435904/592610771188580372/IMG_3647.JPG

16 minutes ago, StreS said:

Thanks!)

This is the angle between your craft and the sun. That is, if you draw a line from craft to the planet and from the sun to the planet you get an angle, just this angle is taken into account.

Hide contents

17q4bOC.png

It seems to be so ...

Your image is better than mine :)

Found a pretty serious bug. Not sure what triggers it exactly because this is only the third time it's happened since 3.0 was released.

This time, and the time before this, solar panels have not worked. Even facing the sun, no energy gets stored.

This time and the first time, I not only had no energy being stored, but my liquid fuel and oxidizer INCREASED in value. This makes NO sense whatsoever. It boggles my damn mind and is honestly, a little unplayable.

[EXC 07:53:42.038] ArgumentException: An element with the same key already exists in the dictionary.
	System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.UInt32,KERBALISM.Drive].Add (UInt32 key, KERBALISM.Drive value)
	KERBALISM.Drive.GetDriveParts (.Vessel vessel)
	KERBALISM.Drive.GetDrives (.Vessel vessel, Boolean include_private)
	KERBALISM.Science.Transmitting (.Vessel v, Boolean linked)
	KERBALISM.ConnectionInfo.GetAntennaInfo (.Vessel v, Boolean powered, Boolean storm)
	KERBALISM.ConnectionInfo..ctor (.Vessel v, Boolean powered, Boolean storm)
	KERBALISM.ConnectionInfo.Update (.Vessel v, Boolean powered, Boolean storm)
	KERBALISM.Vessel_info..ctor (.Vessel v, Guid vessel_id, UInt64 inc)
	KERBALISM.Cache.VesselInfo (.Vessel v)
	KERBALISM.Kerbalism.FixedUpdate ()

This is what is being spammed in my log at the moment.

I have some other errors but not sure if they are related or are from the base system or from another mod.

[ERR 07:52:26.564] [ScienceSubject] - Error in converting Situation System.ArgumentException: An empty string is not considered a valid value.
  at System.Enum.Parse (System.Type enumType, System.String value, Boolean ignoreCase) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at System.Enum.Parse (System.Type enumType, System.String value) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at ScienceUtil.GenerateLocalizedTitle (System.String id) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

[LOG 07:52:28.345] [PartSet]: Failed to add Resource 2113274967 to Simulation PartSet:2392 as corresponding Part Mk1 Command Pod-3842499365 SimulationResource was not found.
[LOG 07:52:28.345] [PartSet]: Failed to add Resource 2113274967 to Simulation PartSet:2391 as corresponding Part Mk1 Command Pod-3842499365 SimulationResource was not found.
[LOG 07:52:28.345] [PartSet]: Failed to add Resource -32849705 to Simulation PartSet:2404 as corresponding Part Mk1 Command Pod-3842499365 SimulationResource was not found.
[LOG 07:52:28.345] [PartSet]: Failed to add Resource -32849705 to Simulation PartSet:2403 as corresponding Part Mk1 Command Pod-3842499365 SimulationResource was not found.
[LOG 07:52:28.345] [PartSet]: Failed to add Resource -32849705 to Simulation PartSet:2392 as corresponding Part Mk1 Command Pod-3842499365 SimulationResource was not found.
[LOG 07:52:28.345] [PartSet]: Failed to add Resource -32849705 to Simulation PartSet:2391 as corresponding Part Mk1 Command Pod-3842499365 SimulationResource was not found.
[LOG 07:52:28.346] [PartSet]: Failed to add Resource -222827107 to Simulation PartSet:2416 as corresponding Part Mk1 Command Pod-3842499365 SimulationResource was not found.
[LOG 07:52:28.346] [PartSet]: Failed to add Resource -222827107 to Simulation PartSet:2415 as corresponding Part Mk1 Command Pod-3842499365 SimulationResource was not found.
[LOG 07:52:28.346] [PartSet]: Failed to add Resource -222827107 to Simulation PartSet:2404 as corresponding Part Mk1 Command Pod-3842499365 SimulationResource was not found.
[LOG 07:52:28.346] [PartSet]: Failed to add Resource -222827107 to Simulation PartSet:2403 as corresponding Part Mk1 Command Pod-3842499365 SimulationResource was not found.
[LOG 07:52:28.346] [PartSet]: Failed to add Resource -222827107 to Simulation PartSet:2392 as corresponding Part Mk1 Command Pod-3842499365 SimulationResource was not found.
[LOG 07:52:28.346] [PartSet]: Failed to add Resource -222827107 to Simulation PartSet:2391 as corresponding Part Mk1 Command Pod-3842499365 SimulationResource was not found.

Any help would be appreciated. Hopefully this information is useful.

EDIT:

No matter what I have tried, my log gets flooded with these errors and my save game is unplayable.

Edited by bulletrhli

2 hours ago, bulletrhli said:

Found a pretty serious bug. Not sure what triggers it exactly because this is only the third time it's happened since 3.0 was released.

This time, and the time before this, solar panels have not worked. Even facing the sun, no energy gets stored.

This time and the first time, I not only had no energy being stored, but my liquid fuel and oxidizer INCREASED in value. This makes NO sense whatsoever. It boggles my damn mind and is honestly, a little unplayable.

[EXC 07:53:42.038] ArgumentException: An element with the same key already exists in the dictionary.
	System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.UInt32,KERBALISM.Drive].Add (UInt32 key, KERBALISM.Drive value)
	KERBALISM.Drive.GetDriveParts (.Vessel vessel)
	KERBALISM.Drive.GetDrives (.Vessel vessel, Boolean include_private)
	KERBALISM.Science.Transmitting (.Vessel v, Boolean linked)
	KERBALISM.ConnectionInfo.GetAntennaInfo (.Vessel v, Boolean powered, Boolean storm)
	KERBALISM.ConnectionInfo..ctor (.Vessel v, Boolean powered, Boolean storm)
	KERBALISM.ConnectionInfo.Update (.Vessel v, Boolean powered, Boolean storm)
	KERBALISM.Vessel_info..ctor (.Vessel v, Guid vessel_id, UInt64 inc)
	KERBALISM.Cache.VesselInfo (.Vessel v)
	KERBALISM.Kerbalism.FixedUpdate ()

This is what is being spammed in my log at the moment.

This happens when you have more than 1 hard drive on one single part. What mods are you using?

(you can safely ignore the second exception for now)

This is my current mod-list. Included are FAR and Kerbalism (installed manually instead of through CKAN)
https://imgur.com/a/S0b0EoN

CKAN Mod-list: https://www.sendspace.com/file/wxpy1g

EDIT:

I did attempt at removing all signs of hard drives from my save, lets just say, glad I made a backup. The vessels did not like that and even with no hard drives in the save, the error was still present.

Edited by bulletrhli

13 hours ago, Sir Mortimer said:

The angle of light on the surface you're looking down at. Many earth observation satellites need the sunlight on the surface to be within a given envelope. For example, when taking pretty pictures for Google Maps, you don't want the sun angle to be too high (like 70+ degrees) because otherwise you will have very long shadows in your surface images. At the same time, other satellites need a minimum angle to avoid glints. For example, observations on water bodies can't be done if the sun is directly benhind the satellite, because the light reflecting from the water surface directly to the satellite (glints) would render the image worthless. Many observation satellites have a limited range where they have to be relative to the sun to do useful observations. This also is true for satellites that take images on the NIGHT side (they need to be well out of twilight).

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/457294487677435904/592610771188580372/IMG_3647.JPG

Your image is better than mine :)

13 hours ago, StreS said:

Thanks!)

Hide contents

17q4bOC.png

It seems to be so ...

Thank you @Sir Mortimerand @StreS.
But is there any information somewhere ingame which angle is ok and which is not? Or is there some information which angle I have this moment?

5 hours ago, Cheesecake said:

Thank you @Sir Mortimerand @StreS.
But is there any information somewhere ingame which angle is ok and which is not? Or is there some information which angle I have this moment?

Right click on the parts(experiments) should show which angle is ok(in VAB or SPH). About current angle not sure..

Edited by StreS

I'm having doubt about how to use the ground experiment part from the last DLC (even with ou without Kerbalism.. and remotetech). I deployed a weather station, a control center and a solar panel. LE control center seems to be disconneted from communication (no antenna, so i'm ok with that), but I don't find a way to collect data on both of my "prototype" installation (one on KSC, one on the mun).

Any help ?

1 hour ago, ecaheti said:

I'm having doubt about how to use the ground experiment part from the last DLC (even with ou without Kerbalism.. and remotetech). I deployed a weather station, a control center and a solar panel. LE control center seems to be disconneted from communication (no antenna, so i'm ok with that), but I don't find a way to collect data on both of my "prototype" installation (one on KSC, one on the mun).

Any help ?

I think you're supposed to deploy an antenna, it will then transmit science automatically.

1 hour ago, ecaheti said:

Any help ?

It's automatic, if you inside Kerbin system you don't need an antenna. Time has to pass and you'll get a message that you station transmitted XX science.

On 6/24/2019 at 8:35 AM, Sir Mortimer said:

That would be in KerbalismConfig\System. Thanks. But it doesn't help a lot because I have no idea what to do with it. I'm dumb. ;.;

39 minutes ago, PresFox said:

Just to confirm, this version will not work on 1.7.2 with the breaking ground DLC?

Kerbalism works with 172 and BG. I just don't (didn't, made some progress) know how to use some stuff.

Next release of KSPIE will update the Emiter of all radioactive emitters

For example a staged stock NERVA produces about 0.028 rad/h

dT26DJt.png

And When at full power it generates about 72 rad/hour

Zam9bM9.png

his is about 4000 times as much radiation when throtled down.

This might seem a lot but there are methods of propulsion that produce a lot more radiation for the crew (Like Open Cycle  Gas Core which fission products are highly radioactive)

But I wonder if there are any upper limit to the amount of radiation that will cause Kerbals to die instantly due to short term radiation

Edited by FreeThinker

72 rads in an hour is a huge deal. That's about twice the amount of time you could expect to fire a single NERVA over the course of a mission to another planet. 36 RADS? Isn't that basically most of your kerbal's effective operating time gone and done with? Won't this make it completely infeasible to send missions to other planets? Why is there not better shielding on it? Maybe have shielding as something that can be added to radioactive parts so that you can pay a weight tax to avoid making it impossible to play the game with lifetime radiation on?

10 hours ago, johiah said:

72 rads in an hour is a huge deal. That's about twice the amount of time you could expect to fire a single NERVA over the course of a mission to another planet.

Well the 72 rads would be valid only if you made a 1 hour long burn, but that usualy not the case, also notice that after 4000 hours at idle , you already receive an equivalant amount of radiation for the Stock NERV. Either way it will decrease it by at least 50% for Solid Nuclear Engine (NERVA) which can sit neatly behind a radiation shield. For the Open Cycle Gas Core Reactor and Nuclear Salt Water its entirely another matter because their exhaust will be extremely radioactive. Perhaps we require some specialized exhaust radiation shielding meachanic which focuses shielding front the back instead of 360 degree shielding from space. This is especialy relevant for any Centrifuge Rings that would be fully exposed to the radiation. Alternatively it would be best to put your  Kerbals in a storm cellar durring the burn which for the Nuclear Salt Water Engine is usualy very short for obvious reasons. :cool:

Edited by FreeThinker