[1.5.0 <-> 1.8.1] Kerbalism v3.2

N70

4 hours ago, CoriW said:

Okay thanks.

One other question, if I have FeatureScience off, does the DataRateDampingExponent affect stock science transmission and signal strength, or is it more intended to tie into the FeatureScience data transmission?

It won't affect stock transmissions. 

Alright so I want to disable the science and signal modules, and I see how to disable science in /Kerbalismconfigs/settings.cfg but not signal. How can I disable the entire signal module, as I'd rather use the vanilla system?

51 minutes ago, Nnimrod said:

Alright so I want to disable the science and signal modules, and I see how to disable science in /Kerbalismconfigs/settings.cfg but not signal. How can I disable the entire signal module, as I'd rather use the vanilla system?

Kerbalism does use the stock comms system. Any changes to data transmission are covered by Science.

2 minutes ago, lordcirth said:

Kerbalism does use the stock comms system. Any changes to data transmission are covered by Science.

Oh, ok. So this is all that modifies the comms system? Except for things like reliabilty/part failure ofc.

DataRateDampingExponent = 6          // stock commnet: exponent by which antenna bandwidth decreases with distance. rescaled systems will require a smaller value
  DataRateDampingExponentRT = 6          // RemoteTech: exponent by which antenna bandwidth decreases with distance. rescaled systems will require a smaller value
  TransmitterActiveEcFactor = 1.5     // factor to the nominal ec consumption rate while antenna is active (transmitting)
  TransmitterPassiveEcFactor = 0.2

Was just running some tests, and for some reason something in the config file for near future is causing the near future nuclear reactors to not work. Reactors work w/ Kerbalism if I remove the config file.

Ok, another question. I looked at the docs and it seems that the placement of the van allen belts is dependent on body radius, the belts at least should be compatible with JNSQ, if not the rest of the mod. How do you see the belts or know where they are? In the OP they are shown graphically, but not in my game.

11 hours ago, Nnimrod said:

How do you see the belts or know where they are? In the OP they are shown graphically, but not in my game.

Not at my computer at the moment so this is by memory. They are off by default, go into the tracking station and open the Kerbalism window and there should be toggle at the bottom of that window for the various belt types.

Is there some sort of checkilst for what Kerbalism considers science-worthy?
It seems that the whole ksc (which in stock is worth tons of science if you bother visiting every single biome) seems to be worth almost nothing. And the early game is just too brutal without it.

I understand that later on you can just start tossing satellites that auto gather tons science if you put them on orbits that visits many biomes, but that takes quite a while to start, at least 200~ science to get the parts and put them in the orbit

XScience was great for this, but it does not work with Kerbalism it seems, it only displays a bugged EVA report that you can't even take

On 7/3/2019 at 10:12 PM, physicsnerd said:

Was just running some tests, and for some reason something in the config file for near future is causing the near future nuclear reactors to not work. Reactors work w/ Kerbalism if I remove the config file.

Update: Kerbalism also seems to cause the centrifuges from SSPX to vanish (also a Near Future mod)

3 hours ago, Guedez said:

It seems that the whole ksc (which in stock is worth tons of science if you bother visiting every single biome) seems to be worth almost nothing. And the early game is just too brutal without it.

I understand that later on you can just start tossing satellites that auto gather tons science if you put them on orbits that visits many biomes, but that takes quite a while to start, at least 200~ science to get the parts and put them in the orbit

XScience was great for this, but it does not work with Kerbalism it seems, it only displays a bugged EVA report that you can't even take

Are you using any other mods? When 3.0 was first released I tried a career without too many other mods, and it wasn't hard. In fact I believe 60% science factor is recommended to get a good balance. I can start up a career and check again, though.

1 hour ago, lordcirth said:

Are you using any other mods? When 3.0 was first released I tried a career without too many other mods, and it wasn't hard. In fact I believe 60% science factor is recommended to get a good balance. I can start up a career and check again, though.

90% of my science is the contracts and milestones, that's mostly the issue

5 hours ago, Guedez said:

Ok, so I made a new KSP install for this.

KSP 1.7.2, with both DLC. Enabled 1.6 and 1.7 compat in CKAN. Installed Kerbalism + the default config and dependencies.

New career with defaults. Accepted the first two contracts.

Flight 1: Mk1 pod with goo + Bob, on the ground. It has just enough battery for both with Bob. 4.7 science.

Flight 2: As above, but Flea and fins. Should have turned the thrust down but I forgot. Pop chute at Ap and set max opening altitude of 5km. Got 10 more science just from milestones. Goo 10s away from being done, lol. Now at 26.8 science.

Etc. So far this seems reasonable. What mission are you stuck on?

Just now, lordcirth said:

Ok, so I made a new KSP install for this.

KSP 1.7.2, with both DLC. Enabled 1.6 and 1.7 compat in CKAN. Installed Kerbalism + the default config and dependencies.

New career with defaults. Accepted the first two contracts.

Flight 1: Mk1 pod with goo + Bob, on the ground. It has just enough battery for both with Bob. 4.7 science.

Flight 2: As above, but Flea and fins. Should have turned the thrust down but I forgot. Pop chute at Ap and set max opening altitude of 5km. Got 10 more science just from milestones. Goo 10s away from being done, lol. Now at 26.8 science.

Etc. So far this seems reasonable. What mission are you stuck on?

Well. I was, but after restating about 3 times because of changing which mods are enable and which are not, I ended up starting with 90 science to save me from spamming "Test X on launch site". Now I am about to make satellites.

7 minutes ago, Guedez said:

Well. I was, but after restating about 3 times because of changing which mods are enable and which are not, I ended up starting with 90 science to save me from spamming "Test X on launch site". Now I am about to make satellites.

What's the key tech node that you weren't able to get? A basic manned orbit gives you tons of science. Are you playing with PBC or another probes-first career?

What triggers a part to fail? Can a rocket engine suddenly fail while it's sitting there not doing anything, or only when you activate it with spacebar? Can it fail during the burn? Can ModuleGimbal fail and leave you with a function engine but a broken gimbal? What about engines with multiple ModuleEngines such as an engine from BDB that had a main engine and some verniers?

I'm trying to decide between this and Oh Scrap for a parts failure mod. 

44 minutes ago, lordcirth said:

What's the key tech node that you weren't able to get? A basic manned orbit gives you tons of science. Are you playing with PBC or another probes-first career?

I was getting drained out of all science before unlocking the solar panels. Since I kickstarted myself them, it's been pretty normal now.

Also, is it kerbalism that is stopping my warp every single time I lose or get signal again? This thing is really bothering me and I can't figure out how to stop that form happening

42 minutes ago, Guedez said:

I was getting drained out of all science before unlocking the solar panels. Since I kickstarted myself them, it's been pretty normal now.

Also, is it kerbalism that is stopping my warp every single time I lose or get signal again? This thing is really bothering me and I can't figure out how to stop that form happening

Yes, alerts about the state of your craft will stop warp. You can disable this per-craft in the 'CFG' tab of the Kerbalism menu. I think there's also a global disable, but I wouldn't recommend that.

Hi,

is there a maximum amount of background science collection and transmission?

Reason: I have some probes around Kerbin, Mun and Minmus with RPWSs and magnetometers (DMagic Orbital Science). I know, those are not stock parts and therefore not "supported". BUT: when I create a new science career and launch two vessels with magnetometers they seem to run as expected.

Further details: In my current career (only 19 vessels): When the probe/ship is not active, e.g. looking at space center scene, the science stops to be collected (in the Kerbalism overview tab). When I switch back to the vessel, the science starts to be collected again. In my test science career (2 vessels): the two vessels can collect science simultaneously (visible through the Kerbalism tab), while viewing a diffrent scene.

Im running the latest KSP with all expansions. I tried the official Kerbalism release aswell as the GitHub beta build.

Perhaps there´s something broken on my end...

9 hours ago, lordcirth said:

Yes, alerts about the state of your craft will stop warp. You can disable this per-craft in the 'CFG' tab of the Kerbalism menu. I think there's also a global disable, but I wouldn't recommend that.

No, you don't understand. My satellite spends more energy than the panels can collect, it was my mistake, but now it is in a limbo state of having and not having connection forever because on one frame it have energy, on the next, it does not.
Now, no matter where I am in the ksc, I can't warp, and the warning keeps spamming me.
It happens even when I am not flying the satellite. I'd blow it up, but it is still doing what it is supposed to do, but with a smaller efficiency due to the energy situation

1 hour ago, Guedez said:

No, you don't understand. My satellite spends more energy than the panels can collect, it was my mistake, but now it is in a limbo state of having and not having connection forever because on one frame it have energy, on the next, it does not.
Now, no matter where I am in the ksc, I can't warp, and the warning keeps spamming me.
It happens even when I am not flying the satellite. I'd blow it up, but it is still doing what it is supposed to do, but with a smaller efficiency due to the energy situation

And if you disable electricity and connection warnings for that craft in the cfg tab, it should stop doing that. Did you try?

Just now, lordcirth said:

And if you disable electricity and connection warnings for that craft in the cfg tab, it should stop doing that. Did you try?

>cfg tab

What's that and how to access it? I've been seeing tons of config screens for other mods, but I am still to see the one for Kerbalism. I am on the newest version on steam, in case that might be a version incompatibility issue with kerbalism

16 minutes ago, Guedez said:

>cfg tab

What's that and how to access it? I've been seeing tons of config screens for other mods, but I am still to see the one for Kerbalism. I am on the newest version on steam, in case that might be a version incompatibility issue with kerbalism

In your toolbar, in flight or KSC, you should see a button with a heartbeat/EKG logo, as shown below. That shows a list of craft, you click the sat to expand, cfg tab, disable notifications for connection and electricity.

If you do not have this button, then you do indeed have a problem with your install.

monitor.png

1 minute ago, lordcirth said:

In your toolbar, in flight or KSC, you should see a button with a heartbeat/EKG logo, as shown below. That shows a list of craft, you click the sat to expand, cfg tab, disable notifications for connection and electricity.

If you do not have this button, then you do indeed have a problem with your install.

monitor.png

I never noticed the small buttons at that screen. I was especially confused because I did not notice that the screen before that one was for selecting which vessel you want to tinker with. Many thanks

So how do you guys determine the transmit bandwidth of your antenna's vessel in this mod? It seems like the only info you have is the range of the antenna. I want to see what the data rate is for the different types of antennas at different distances.